Top 5 Computer Manufacturers In 2Q

HardOCP News

[H] News
Looking at these numbers, it is kinda funny that the company selling the most PCs globally is hurting for cash and the one selling the least amount of computers worldwide is the most valuable company on the planet. :confused:

I want to know who "IDC" is and where they got thier data from. Apple selling 11 million computers? Are they counting iPads and iPhones as computers?

Blast, no edit... Sorry... I ment 11% of the market and thinking about how 1.8 million units could be that much of the market.

Apple is king of cash because of iPad and iPhone. Their computer business revolves around supporting those two products at this point.

I am surprised Lenovo doesn't sell better in the USA. I think they have much better products than Dell or HP.

I want to know who "IDC" is and where they got thier data from. Apple selling 11 million computers? Are they counting iPads and iPhones as computers?

I can't find 11 million on mine.

Blast, no edit... Sorry... I ment 11% of the market and thinking about how 1.8 million units could be that much of the market.
Those numbers are only for the U.S. and over one quarter of the year.

Looking at these numbers, it is kinda funny that the company selling the most PCs globally is hurting for cash and the one selling the least amount of computers worldwide is the most valuable company on the planet. :confused:

That's because selling more doesn't necessarily mean getting more profit. The nonsensical idea of "let's make the cheapest thing we can so we can sell more" is going to tank any company that follows it. Make a quality machine that doesn't crap out every 6 months and charge enough for it, and not screw over your users, and you'll make a decent profit and stay in business.

I am surprised Lenovo doesn't sell better in the USA. I think they have much better products than Dell or HP.

I don't know much about Lenovo's stuff, but Dell and HP both make nice business-class hardware.

I don't know much about Lenovo's stuff, but Dell and HP both make nice business-class hardware.

This, and some companies are just stupidly anti-China.

My company, for example used to be a %100 IBM shop, even for several years while their entire product line was built by Lenovo. Then IBM sold the division to Lenovo, and OVERNIGHT my company switched us to HP. This despite the fact that every single HP computer is manufactured in the same sweatshops.

The logic, it fails us. Stupid companies like mije are probably responsible for keeping HP and Dell afloat these days.

For the most part yes. For build quality I would definitely prefer Lenovo over Asus, Acer, etc. My one issue is the LCD panels / resolutions they offer are poor. They are definitely behind the curve there.

This, and some companies are just stupidly anti-China.

My company, for example used to be a %100 IBM shop, even for several years while their entire product line was built by Lenovo. Then IBM sold the division to Lenovo, and OVERNIGHT my company switched us to HP. This despite the fact that every single HP computer is manufactured in the same sweatshops.

The logic, it fails us. Stupid companies like mije are probably responsible for keeping HP and Dell afloat these days.

It's not Anti-China, it's the quality that have are craps to begin with...

For the most part yes. For build quality I would definitely prefer Lenovo over Asus, Acer, etc. My one issue is the LCD panels / resolutions they offer are poor. They are definitely behind the curve there.

It depends on the machine. The X-series has a very good IPS panel, while the Ts have the 1600x900 and 1080p panels for the T430 and T530 respectively (TN). The W-series workstations have what is supposed to be one of the best panels in the industry. Their IdeaPad and economy class machines generally have lower class panels, but they also tend to be lower priced.

They're opening up a manufacturing plant in North Carolina. Though it's started small, it's expected to hire more workers if it goes well. They've already got their American refurb station in South Carolina. For a Chinese company, they're more American than Dell and HP.

sooo..Apple shipping about 2% of computers worldwide?

wonder if they ate into their own share with iOS

I have 4 thinkpads in my room right now, they are the only laptop I buy.
The issue with Lenovo is that they aren't "shiny" enough for Americans.

We all know that our family members would rather buy something that is pretty and shiny than something that is actually a good product.

I have 4 thinkpads in my room right now, they are the only laptop I buy.
The issue with Lenovo is that they aren't "shiny" enough for Americans.

We all know that our family members would rather buy something that is pretty and shiny than something that is actually a good product.

Agreed, Lenovo laptops are the only ones I buy. They work great and are tanks, but they're definitely not going to be used as a decoration on your coffee table.

oh yeah? how many years did lenovo build thinkpads for ibm?

i was under the impression that they merely took over manufacturing after buying the division

i was under the impression that they merely took over manufacturing after buying the division

the switchover was around the time I bought my R61, one side of the LCD says IBM and the other says Lenovo, that was sometime in late 2007 or early 2008

It depends on the machine. The X-series has a very good IPS panel, while the Ts have the 1600x900 and 1080p panels for the T430 and T530 respectively (TN). The W-series workstations have what is supposed to be one of the best panels in the industry. Their IdeaPad and economy class machines generally have lower class panels, but they also tend to be lower priced.

They're opening up a manufacturing plant in North Carolina. Though it's started small, it's expected to hire more workers if it goes well. They've already got their American refurb station in South Carolina. For a Chinese company, they're more American than Dell and HP.
I miss the my BOE-Hydis IPS screen of my T60. While the 1080p screen on my T520 is pretty good for a TN panel, the lack of vertical viewing angle is a PITA. You really need to look at the screen direct on to see it well. The IPS screen in my X220t is quite nice, though it really could use a higher resolution. 1440x900 would be perfect for it.

I miss the my BOE-Hydis IPS screen of my T60. While the 1080p screen on my T520 is pretty good for a TN panel, the lack of vertical viewing angle is a PITA. You really need to look at the screen direct on to see it well. The IPS screen in my X220t is quite nice, though it really could use a higher resolution. 1440x900 would be perfect for it.

agreed. I'm on my T520 right now which has the 1080p display, it was a very expensive upgrade but I need the resolution. I would be willing to pay even more for IPS

Yeah, I think you are right. There was some overlap, but basically we stopped buying machines by the time the merger was completed and they started selling IBM-branded PCs built in China.

But I was under the impression that Lenovo already built some PCs for IBM before the merger was announced. Maybe I got that wrong.

Yeah, I think you are right. There was some overlap, but basically we stopped buying machines by the time the merger was completed and they started selling IBM-branded PCs built in China.

But I was under the impression that Lenovo already built some PCs for IBM before the merger was announced. Maybe I got that wrong.

I left the IBM PC Company many years before the Lenovo deal. Just where do you think the board level work was done prior to the PCCO being sold to Lenovo?

My company has used all three (99% laptops), and only these three, for the last 14 years (Compaq before it was bought by HP, IBM before it became Lenovo), and I have worked as an IT guy supporting them that whole time. HP does make good stuff. Dell is pretty bad, though they have improved drastically compared to the complete crap they were foisting off on people in the early and mid 00's. Lenovo is the best of the three.

At 12.5"? I can tell you from personal experience that with the issue of Windows scaling at the OS level and the small text at 1366x768 while browsing, a higher resolution screen is only going to be a drawback.

I'd rather not struggle to read text than having a slightly more defined and detailed image. If I wanted something pretty to look at I'd buy a trophy wife, not a ThinkPad :p

Agreed, Lenovo laptops are the only ones I buy. They work great and are tanks, but they're definitely not going to be used as a decoration on your coffee table.

Lenovo does make some pretty crappy laptops just like everyone else the only thing they got is thinkpads that sort of interests me. I just wish companies that sell these business laptops would also let the consumer decide if they want consumer a graphics card instead of the quatro or those business class GPU's.

Back