Are You An Internet Addict?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't even try to deny it...you have all the symptoms. You, my friend, are an internet addict. :D

There is research showing that the internet can indeed act like a drug, and use of social networks has been linked with depression. Even the leaders of many popular online games and networks have recognized the importance of unplugging on occasion. But the idea of a professional organization attempting to codify and criticize something that feels so personal as time spent surfing the web has understandably given some folks the creeps.

You'll take my keyboard when you pry it from my cold dead fingers ... as one of my friends put it ... gotta go, that internet isn't going to surf itself :D

Yeah I know I'm addicted. As Sys Admin..I stare at my computer all day, then I go home and stare at the computer and go to the sites that are blocked at work. Then I go to sleep... wake up in the morning, make some tea.. sit on the computer for a little bit. Go to work, Repeat.

I don't think I'm addicted... I don't feel horrible when I go on a cruise and unplug for a week... Or go hunting for a few days in the middle of nowhere.

The internet causes procrastination to be far easier than it once was. Does that count as interfering with my work?

I don't think I'm addicted... I don't feel horrible when I go on a cruise and unplug for a week... Or go hunting for a few days in the middle of nowhere.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I'm constantly around and using technology in my every day life but that's more of a consequence of my everyday life but I don't ever regret not having it really when I'm off hiking, camping, traveling or whatever else I might do to bring me away from computers/phones/tech.

I am "addicted" I'm sure. I'm connected 24/7 it seems and I dont even use Facebook or twitter. But I forum surf all day.

Now that being said, its not that online stuff is interfering with real life, its that it is replacing it. Doing MMO stuff BECOMES your life, its just not in the real world. I can tell from first hand experience that having shit go down in an MMO (guild drama) can be just as every bit emotional than stuff happening in real life.

The mind does not distinguish from where inputs come from.

i am online 24/7 even when I sleep, However I wont say I am an addict until I could use the internet while I sleep.=

Fantastic! A new reason to pay a therapist money to help me find the root cause of my problem and work through all the issues that have amassed because of this addiction. :rolleyes:

I'm permanently glued to a web-enabled desktop/laptop/mobile phone because it's the difference between getting paid and not getting paid. I term this as my "money-addiction". :p

Fantastic! A new reason to pay a therapist money to help me find the root cause of my problem and work through all the issues that have amassed because of this addiction. :rolleyes:

I'm permanently glued to a web-enabled desktop/laptop/mobile phone because it's the difference between getting paid and not getting paid. I term this as my "money-addiction". :p

I'm sorry sir, the therapist is too busy on Facebook today to see you.

I'm sorry sir, the therapist is too busy on Facebook today to see you.

Oh wait, the therapist read your facebook profile, and wants to know if you interest in Russian Brides is at all related to your relationship with your mother...

You can contact your therapist via live chat for your therapy session.

I'm kinda more addicted to sharing my amazingly deep, profound thoughts about fruit flavored lip gloss, clumping cat litter, and iCarly and the Internet is just the way I'm able to share what I think so that the world can be changed for the better.

I'm kinda more addicted to sharing my amazingly deep, profound thoughts about fruit flavored lip gloss, clumping cat litter, and iCarly and the Internet is just the way I'm able to share what I think so that the world can be changed for the better.

That sounds an awfully lot like... peer to peer sharing. Your internet privileges are revoked, missy!

Oh wait, the therapist read your facebook profile, and wants to know if you interest in Russian Brides is at all related to your relationship with your mother...

I shouldn't have been drinking hot coffee when I read this.

Based on your posts Skribbel, I always thought that you'd be more of a Victorious fan. ;)

You might be an internet addict if:

- All your friends have an @ in their names.
- As your car crashes through the guardrail on a mountain road, your first instinct is to hit the "back" button.
- The only way you'll leave your computer is with the Jaws-of-Life.
- You ask a plumber how much it would cost to replace the chair in front of your computer with a toilet.
- You change your dogs name from Bowser to Browser.
- You check your mail. It says "no new messages." So you check it again.
- You don't have a bookmark list, you have a database.
- You don't know the sex of three of your closest friends, because they have neutral nicknames and you never bothered to ask.
- You experience "withdrawal" after not being online for six hours.
- You have an identity crisis when someone uses a screen name close to your own.
- You keep more than four browser windows open at the same time.
- You start leaving reminder notes on your refrigerator in HTML.
- You log off and the message begins with, "You were on for 3 days, 15 hours…"

:D

I'll glady admit I'm addicted once Internet addiction is considered a disability like too many other addictions, and I can start collecting a government check. :)

I'll glady admit I'm addicted once Internet addiction is considered a disability like too many other addictions, and I can start collecting a government check. :)

Pshaw gov't checks. You're a fool.

The better benefit is being able to park in any of the handicapped slots anywhere. Cha-ching!

Pshaw gov't checks. You're a fool.

The better benefit is being able to park in any of the handicapped slots anywhere. Cha-ching!

Wouldn't that be contrary to the whole internet addict concept though (since you have to leave home and your internet to go out into the REAL world :eek: ) ... at least until we get the Borg interface going where we can be connected to the Net 24x7 :p :D

Wouldn't that be contrary to the whole internet addict concept though (since you have to leave home and your internet to go out into the REAL world :eek: ) ... at least until we get the Borg interface going where we can be connected to the Net 24x7 :p :D
But I already have a handicap parking tag. I'm am so conflicted! :p

When u start bringing the internet in the bathroom , i think that's where the line between addict and non starts.

That sounds an awfully lot like... peer to peer sharing. Your internet privileges are revoked, missy!

But catforum.com would miss me if I couldn't visit! :(

Based on your posts Skribbel, I always thought that you'd be more of a Victorious fan. ;)

That's also a good show, though I'm really not a huge Victoria Justice fan. I think she overacts sometimes.

Without Internet, I start to shrivel.

So...you'd be like a human raisin?

Back