Oops. Man Mistakenly Sexts Entire Contact List

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Have you ever had that dream where you find yourself in a public place totally naked? Well, that must have been the feeling Craig Evans when he finally realized he had mistakenly sent lewd pictures to everyone on his phone’s contact list, including two under aged girls. Their parents were not amused :eek:

The appeals court agreed that it couldn't conclude Evans had targeted any minor. For, indeed, he was targeting one person, who was entirely of age. It's just that those BlackBerrys are very hard to operate. Or something.

Glad to see he didn't do time for sucking at the texting.

If it'd been in certain parts of the US he'd do seven years to appease the pearl clutching prudes and have to register as a "sex offender" when he got out resulting in being bared from any sort of real employment. You know, to keep the children safe.

he did do time he was sentenced to 18 months in jail the appeals court after concluding he was an idiot reduced the sentence to 9 months suspended sentence so he got to go to probation after the time he had already spent in jail.

My inital thought was why is this news worthy if i was this guy i would have told nobody and crawled into a deep dark hole never to be seen from again.

If it'd been in certain parts of the US he'd do seven years to appease the pearl clutching prudes and have to register as a "sex offender" when he got out resulting in being bared from any sort of real employment. You know, to keep the children safe.

:rolleyes: I guess I'm a "pearl clutching prude" in the case you send dick picks to my kids phone. These laws were put in place to PROTECT children first, punishment comes second.
I couldn't give a flying fuck if you cant get a job.

:rolleyes: I guess I'm a "pearl clutching prude" in the case you send dick picks to my kids phone. These laws were put in place to PROTECT children first, punishment comes second.

If it is an accident, it is a way different thing. Lighten up.

You don't ruin someones life over an obvious mistake. Punish them yes..ruin them..no.

this is why he should've bought an iphone

"it just works". It's dumbass-proof.

You don't ruin someones life over an obvious mistake. Punish them yes..ruin them..no.

I'm not even sure what punishment does here. We are all capable of pushing a mouse button at the wrong time. Truth is that email and messaging programs need to have some safeguards against these types of mistakes.

lol fail. Sucks that the law got involved though, it is an accident after all. But at least he got off at the end.

It's ok to let kids watch shows where people shoot each other, but god forbid you show something natural(a breast or something, OH MAI GAWD!) and it's the end of the world.

I'm not even sure what punishment does here. We are all capable of pushing a mouse button at the wrong time. Truth is that email and messaging programs need to have some safeguards against these types of mistakes.

I think any system that lets you send a message to multiple people at much should definitely have some kind of warning.

I lost track of the number of times confidential information was accidentally sent to _all_employees distribution list. :D After seeing those numbers we were not suppose to see, it's sickning they took away our bonus. :p

Oh and inbe4 someone decides to sue Blackberry.

this is why he should've bought an iphone

"it just works". It's dumbass-proof.

I actually think this is true... if the following case is true.

Now... I don't have an Iphone, but I remember hearing something stupid like it replace Sexual pics with pics of steve jobs? I never bother to really look it up cuz it sounds retarded but if that's true. Problem solved!

I actually think this is true... if the following case is true.

Now... I don't have an Iphone, but I remember hearing something stupid like it replace Sexual pics with pics of steve jobs? I never bother to really look it up cuz it sounds retarded but if that's true. Problem solved!
Not sure if serious.

lol fail. Sucks that the law got involved though, it is an accident after all. But at least he got off at the end.

The article suggests that he didn't really "get off." 9 months "suspension," and I wonder if he is now a felon... ridiculous either way.

He should just be laughed at is all... point and laugh at him for 9 months. That should be the punishment.

If your kids are so impressionable that some pic that was accidentally sent to them warps their minds forever...if a brief explanation doesn't suffice, you've got some serious parenting to do... that's just idiotic.

The article suggests that he didn't really "get off." 9 months "suspension," and I wonder if he is now a felon... ridiculous either way.

He should just be laughed at is all... point and laugh at him for 9 months. That should be the punishment.

If your kids are so impressionable that some pic that was accidentally sent to them warps their minds forever...if a brief explanation doesn't suffice, you've got some serious parenting to do... that's just idiotic.
this.

guy made an honest, and extremely embarrassing I am sure, mistake. Why did they even need to get the police involved?

If I worked with children, I can assure you if I needed to communicate with a minor i wouldnt have their phone numbers. I would have their parents who can then relay messages. As a parent im certain you would feel the same way.

:rolleyes: Those pearl clutching prudes in the UK originally sentenced him to 18 months in prison. "Evans' sentence was reduced to a suspended 9 months, which meant that he was immediately freed." So he was still found guilty, and had been locked away since July.

UK law is more prudish than American federal law.

this.

guy made an honest, and extremely embarrassing I am sure, mistake. Why did they even need to get the police involved?

Totally agreed. I sure bet he won't be doing that again! Haha!

What would happen if an under aged girl sent a nude or sexual photo of herself to everyone on her contact list accidentally, would everyone get in trouble?
Her for creating and distributing it and everyone else for possession?

If it is an accident, it is a way different thing. Lighten up.

I disagree with this statement a bit; seems like a sentiment that leads to a slippery-road argument. Accidents are often refered to as negligence in legal-terms. If I accidentally, dropped a bowling ball on your foot, you wouldn't be upset?

Similarly, if I accidentally killed your wife + children in a car accident but didn't mean to.... you would be fine with me telling you to "Ligthen up." I didn't kill them on purpose. "If its an accident, it is a way different thing." etc etc.

he did do time he was sentenced to 18 months in jail the appeals court after concluding he was an idiot reduced the sentence to 9 months suspended sentence so he got to go to probation after the time he had already spent in jail.

My inital thought was why is this news worthy if i was this guy i would have told nobody and crawled into a deep dark hole never to be seen from again.

Any jail sentence is wrong.

One can simply not open text messages from people they do not know or block text messages from people they don't want to talk to.

Anything else is censorship on the part of the state and is immoral, regardless of how disturbing the content is. Only if a person continues to intrude upon your property (i.e. your phone) after you have asked them to stop sending messages is the use of force justified and only to the extent necessary to bring an end to their actions.

What would happen if an under aged girl sent a nude or sexual photo of herself to everyone on her contact list accidentally, would everyone get in trouble?

These days, at least in the US, they would try to lock the girl up in prison and make her a sex offender for life. It is impossible to have a rational conversation on sex-related "crimes" (of course, a logically-minded person would ask how a girl taking pictures of herself could be considered to be committing a crime against children but such logic has no place in American puritanism). Europeans tend to be far more sensible about topics related to sex.

I disagree with this statement a bit; seems like a sentiment that leads to a slippery-road argument. Accidents are often refered to as negligence in legal-terms. If I accidentally, dropped a bowling ball on your foot, you wouldn't be upset?

Similarly, if I accidentally killed your wife + children in a car accident but didn't mean to.... you would be fine with me telling you to "Ligthen up." I didn't kill them on purpose. "If its an accident, it is a way different thing." etc etc.

There is a big difference.

Killing someone, however accidental it may be, involves the initiation of force against another's person. Accidentally sending a picture, in and of itself, does not constitute force.

Yes, there is a difference, when you accidentally kill someone, it's not the same charge if you intentionally kill some and the penalty will be appropriately be different.

I luffs [H]ard|Forum for the fact that people compare a really stupid guy sending text messages to accidental death in a car accident.

The appeals court agreed that it couldn't conclude Evans had targeted any minor. For, indeed, he was targeting one person, who was entirely of age. It's just that those BlackBerrys are very hard to operate. Or something.

More like . . . hard to operate one handed.

I disagree with this statement a bit; seems like a sentiment that leads to a slippery-road argument. Accidents are often refered to as negligence in legal-terms.

I make moral judgements based on morality, not the laws that were created out of both imperfection and bad intentions, not to mention that some of those imperfections and bad intentions did not even come from humans still alive.

If I accidentally, dropped a bowling ball on your foot, you wouldn't be upset?

I might have an emotional reaction, created by a primitive instinct. But in the end I will certainly think and act like a good-intentioned human with free will: I would forgive the person and not remain upset at him for an accident.

This is an extremely misleading example. And yet so far no one has confronted the true problem with your example. You are using the same word, "accident," to imply a different meaning of the word than you implied in the bowling ball example. The bowling ball example, as described, was clearly implying an "unintentional accident" (just making up a way to describe it). As in, the bowling ball just slipped from his hand - he didn't do anything wrong intentionally.

In the second example, if it was still an unintentional accident, then yes, absolutely the other person involved in the accident should not be blamed. You should seriously reconsider your position if you think otherwise. This theme has been covered in countless stories that warn against such a stance: a person completely loses his/herself in hatred against someone who was unintentionally responsible for the death of a loved one. They become a greater evil than the imaginary evil they hate.

However, what you implied (due to common association with the words "car accident") is what might be described an "intentional accident." There is definitely a big difference here. If someone decided to run a red light and killed the wife/children in the other vehicle, that person made a conscious decision to risk the lives of other people on the road...in effect, he intentionally killed him because he intentionally risked their lives. Very big difference.

I am not really surprised anymore by people's comments about these situations, I have seen it so often now: completely without compassion and completey apathetic towards justice or morality.

This guy made an unintentional mistake, in which no one was actually harmed (just sensitive people were easily offended) and he went to jail for nine months for it, and the people's law tried to put him in prison. Everyone directly involved in it should be ashamed of themselves (the people that contacted police, the people involved with the decision to prosecute, the people involved with the initial conviction/sentence) and so should anyone in this society that does not condemn it. But he is just one person of countless that faces injustice every day...even more sad is that he is, in all probability, one of the very people that are apathetic towards morality.

It's ok to let kids watch shows where people shoot each other, but god forbid you show something natural(a breast or something, OH MAI GAWD!) and it's the end of the world.

LOL...true. But that guy IS an idiot.

I luffs [H]ard|Forum for the fact that people compare a really stupid guy sending text messages to accidental death in a car accident.

Well, you are not asking the what if's and following the slope to it's slippery end. Let's ask this simple but logical question. If you were driving, and got a text message, and like 99% of people looked at it while on the freeway. Now you open your mail from some guy and in front of you is a penus. Now 3 possible things are going to happen:

1. YOu go LDOWDk OMG PENUS!!!! :eek: and take your hands off the wheel to cover your eyes then spin off the road at 120mph and take out a schoolyard full of children and then crash into a nuke and kill 4m people (you kill the children twice) and at least 20m cats.
2. You avert your eyes but that penus is now inside your head. It haunt your sleep and waking mind. When asleep you dream of penus, playing poker with it and stuff. But then every event in your life is full of penus. You can't meet a woman without thinking of penus the whole time. Eventually you do the only thing to get penus out your mind. Which is to gun down everyone at the local Walmart.
3. You start to consider your life and what you are doing. You invest in some little corporation and become a billionaire. You then spend your days killing orphans.

With this kind of Winkey Of Mass Destruction flying around, it is only logical that the terrorist is punished with jailtime. Then the invading of a random country he once visited. Like Lichtenstein. Moral people want to end this now with a game of Cluedo.

Well, a 14 yr old sent a pic of herself to her boyfriend and ended up on the sexual predators list. I don't have hte link to it but, here is when it happenned and some of the details:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25780

Oh my God, let's put more warnings and checks on shit... :rolleyes:

We live in enough of a nanny state as it is and you want more shit? Maybe people shouldn't be so fucking stupid instead of expecting their hands to be held.

Any jail sentence is wrong.

One can simply not open text messages from people they do not know or block text messages from people they don't want to talk to.

Anything else is censorship on the part of the state and is immoral, regardless of how disturbing the content is. Only if a person continues to intrude upon your property (i.e. your phone) after you have asked them to stop sending messages is the use of force justified and only to the extent necessary to bring an end to their actions.

These days, at least in the US, they would try to lock the girl up in prison and make her a sex offender for life. It is impossible to have a rational conversation on sex-related "crimes" (of course, a logically-minded person would ask how a girl taking pictures of herself could be considered to be committing a crime against children but such logic has no place in American puritanism). Europeans tend to be far more sensible about topics related to sex.
First off this occured in england not the U.S.
Second ignorance is no excuse for his flub should he have been jailed for it I dont think so.
Three in the U.S. sex crimes have 3 levels 2 of which have a limit to how long they are on the list first level 15 years next is 25 then life. Any one of these will brand you a pervert for life and generally ruin it.
Four the girl in your scenerio would not get more than a slap on the wrist. She woul only make one of the pervert lists if she was an adult toward a minor. But minor female sending nudes of herself only gets any one who recieves them in trouble.

yest another reason to keep facebook and chats and stuff to your computer and not to your smart phone.

Maybe we just need more levels in the law ... just as in the analogy of the car accident resulting in a death there is a different class of homicide for that (vehicular manslaughter) that carries different penalties than regular manslaughter or the more dangerous 1st and 2nd degree murder

There might need to be a class for people that do stupid things but they don't have the intent of someone who did things on purpose ... also I don't buy into the classification of a sexting or verbal activity not "harming" a person ... I know there are some people who support internet bullying as a form of free speech but in some cases that does harm a person (and we shouldn't blame the victim for that)

One other item to consider ... you don't want to make the accident defense a viable one since then true violators might just set things up so they could use that defense ... being stupid may not be a crime in itself, but if a person does a stupid thing that harms other people (and harm can't just be physical harm) then they will need to be prepared to pay some sort of penalty ... The law will never be perfect ... there are always too many unique situations that might arise ... but it is still better than no law at all ;)

All he sent was texts that were lewd but not ridiculously so. And no pics, despite what the [H] headline says.

I am all for protecting the kids, but if this is truly an accident its nothing he should goto jail for and become a sex offender. That totally ruins the rest of someone's life, I find your complete lack of sympathy appalling but whatever...

Two years ago, i took some pictures of my kids playing at a park. Nothing the least bit harmful, but when i tried to share a picture with my family, my phone decided to also add corpcampusall email alias. I have no idea how that contact was even on my phone to begin with, but 150 people i work with were also emailed that picture album.... I cant imagine how embarrassed i would feel if the pictures were anything less clean.

Back