Microsoft Sued Over Rights to Kinect Tech

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is being sued by Intelligent Verification Systems, a Virginia based company that specializes in facial recognition technology. The company claims that Microsoft infringed on the company’s patent for the software, which dates back to 2006, to produce one of the company’s highest selling products, Kinect.

Intelligent Verification Systems claims they sent a letter to Microsoft in June 2011 to inform them of the patent infringement but it seems the two groups were unable to come to an agreement.

See my thing about patents is this - If you steal actual products or work done then fine, you have a case. If you however use an IDEA that doesn't actually exist yet or is patented using the simplest of terms (like a lot of Apples patents) then you shouldn't be able to be sued.

Like, if MS actually took Intelligent Verification Systems software then there is a problem. If MS is using their OWN software that uses entirely all in house creations that maybe uses some shitty patent that Intelligent Verification Systems made then that is an entirely different subject. I mean, how many patents are actual diagrams and blueprints of how to make what is being patented? How many patents are simply some wild idea someone came up with over lunch that was jotted down on a napkin with nothing coming close to resembling how the thing that was thought of actually works or can be created?

Basically, there are only so many common sense, easy to create ways of creating facial recognition software. Its like patenting a wheel...sure there are different ways to make them, but in the end THEY ALL HAVE TO BE ROUND. So once someone patents the IDEA that a wheel has to be round, then they can in essence sue EVERYONE that makes a ROUND WHEEL regardless of how it is actually made (process, materials, etc).

This goes especially with software. Using common software languages there can only be SO many ways that certain program can be written, right? Like, say you create a software using C+ that uses a camera to simply and ONLY recognize the difference in color between a red and blue block. Using C+ how many ways can you actually create software that does this without being completely and utterly complicated and over bloated? How many patents for software like this can be created before you run out of ways of doing it?

I don't know...I'm rambling...but in closing I'm basically saying that its going to get to the point where every-little-single-thing will be patented so there for its going to reach a point where you can't create anything without infringing on something.

Do they have access to the source code to know 100% that Microsoft copied it?

I agree that this sounds like patent trolling. The kinect has been out for exactly 2 years now. Why in every case we see that's patent trolling do we always see the plaintiff's file their claims YEARS later?

If you were the owner of some facial recognition patents -- and wanted to make sure nobody else was going to profit from your work then you'd file suit the instant the kinect was released if it indeed used your work.

I agree with what was said -- as long as MS didn't steal any of their code or commit any corporate espinoge (sp?) then this random company needs to sit down and STFU.

What if a company "A" produced a cure for all forms of cancer - and then I come along and without any use of ANYTHING from or by company "A" I produce a totally new cure for cancer that uses entirely different formulas and compounds. Should I have to pay millions of dollars because I did the same thing someone else did using entirely different methods and research?

We also need a "loser pays" system in our court system. You can bring suit against anyone you like for any reason you like..but if you lose due to it being a frivolous lawsuit, or you just being plain retarded. Then you will pay out the ass for wasting the courts time and the resources of an innocent party. Can't pay? then we throw you in jail. You know the crap I'm talking about -- some good samaratin getting sued because they didn't help another person fast enough, or a burglar suing a homeowner because they slipped and fell while trying to steal their tv.

This country has allowed too much stupidity for far too long.

And it will continue. It doesn't matter how much we bitch or complain. It doesn't matter how much common sense it lacks, or how ancient the patent system is. It's all up to the law makers and such (which we know lacks common sense, but loves more money in the pockets). The patent laws need some restructuring. It's just not going to happen for a long while. And with Apple and others winning patent lawsuits left and right over trivial, simple ideas, it's just going downhill. It really hurts the consumer and it really hurts innovation and the garage inventor. Even if I were to come up with an idea, implement it and built it completely on my own, I'd be violating someones patent somewhere. Or it would be close enough to have some company that buys patents come after me for a few million dollars...

You could play games using a webcam 10 years ago. The hell are they trying to pull?

I doubt they would be able to supply a working product our anything substantial enough to get a judge to accept this case.

MS does have done open source sdk's for the kinect and that may be how this company is looking at it.

Patent ll is patent troll

So I'm guessing that Kinect has finally made games more fun and engaging to play if there's a lawsuit over aspects of its technology.

I agree that this sounds like patent trolling. The kinect has been out for exactly 2 years now. Why in every case we see that's patent trolling do we always see the plaintiff's file their claims YEARS later?

If you were the owner of some facial recognition patents -- and wanted to make sure nobody else was going to profit from your work then you'd file suit the instant the kinect was released if it indeed used your work.

I agree with what was said -- as long as MS didn't steal any of their code or commit any corporate espinoge (sp?) then this random company needs to sit down and STFU.

What if a company "A" produced a cure for all forms of cancer - and then I come along and without any use of ANYTHING from or by company "A" I produce a totally new cure for cancer that uses entirely different formulas and compounds. Should I have to pay millions of dollars because I did the same thing someone else did using entirely different methods and research?

We also need a "loser pays" system in our court system. You can bring suit against anyone you like for any reason you like..but if you lose due to it being a frivolous lawsuit, or you just being plain retarded. Then you will pay out the ass for wasting the courts time and the resources of an innocent party. Can't pay? then we throw you in jail. You know the crap I'm talking about -- some good samaratin getting sued because they didn't help another person fast enough, or a burglar suing a homeowner because they slipped and fell while trying to steal their tv.

Britain has a loser pays system. It has helped keep things from going crazy.

And it will continue. It doesn't matter how much we bitch or complain. It doesn't matter how much common sense it lacks, or how ancient the patent system is. It's all up to the law makers and such (which we know lacks common sense, but loves more money in the pockets). The patent laws need some restructuring. It's just not going to happen for a long while. And with Apple and others winning patent lawsuits left and right over trivial, simple ideas, it's just going downhill. It really hurts the consumer and it really hurts innovation and the garage inventor. Even if I were to come up with an idea, implement it and built it completely on my own, I'd be violating someones patent somewhere. Or it would be close enough to have some company that buys patents come after me for a few million dollars...

Yeah I'm thinking another two or three generations before something is does about it.

I would not be surprised if MS did steal tech from them, they send spies out to get information and then they come up with their own 'version'. It's normal operating procedure for every tech manufacturer.

Microsoft deserves to be sued. They support the current patent system, and software patents. Hoisted by their own petard.

Considering that Microsoft itself licensed and acquired the technology for the kinnect from an Israeli company, this is pure patent troll action

Britain has a loser pays system. It has helped keep things from going crazy.

Loser pays doesn't help if you can't afford the court costs to begin with. You would only get reimbursed after you win; that doesn't help with the court costs during the trial.

Next weeks news:
Intelligent Verification Systems to be purchased by Microsoft, the deal should close some time Friday 12th 2012.

In other news, the third-world was sued by AstraZeneca for infringing on patent rights of life-saving drugs. Just kidding. Well, not really.

They should settle patent lawsuits with endurance tests. Like who can take the most nailgun shots to the body. Or where they have top hats and have to knock the other persons off with an elastic band.

They let apple patent the rectangle with curved edges. How can I be surprised by this anymore?

Back