NES Light Gun Gets a Burning Laser Upgrade

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Are you in the market for a little more zap in your NES classic style light gun? The guys over at North Street Labs have just the thing to put a little more excitement into your light gun accessories, like setting the place on fire or creating instant blindness. Lawsuits are being written as we speak. :D

I hate build projects like this that leave out key details, yet come off as trying to be informative.
They have a list of wire gauges you should use for different currents and their resistance/loss, but they don't list what gauge wire they used. They just called the wire size "excessive".

I hate build projects like this that leave out key details, yet come off as trying to be informative.
They have a list of wire gauges you should use for different currents and their resistance/loss, but they don't list what gauge wire they used. They just called the wire size "excessive".

They show everything except for the wire gauge they used and you're bitching about it... bravo.

Is this another take a laser out of a DVD burner and ramp up the power?

Nice project though.

621683_1.jpg

Hey, they had enough sense to put a key on the bottom to lock the laser out so that small children don't mistake this for a toy and start burning their eyes out. That's the best part of this project IMHO.

That was one example. They also don't list the specs on the driver or the diode, nor do they list where they bought them from.

Another weird thing is that he was melting down some of the junk plastic in the gun with a soldering iron. Doesn't the guy have a dremel?

Hey, they had enough sense to put a key on the bottom to lock the laser out so that small children don't mistake this for a toy and start burning their eyes out. That's the best part of this project IMHO.

They didn't do it for the children, they are required by law to have a key as well as other safety features passed a certain strength or else it would be simply illegal.

For everyone 1 video like this where they go through some effort to warn people of the dangers, there's probably 10 people who buy these high powered lasers, and permanently damage their eyes because they don't realize that reflections are dangerous or something equally stupid.

For everyone 1 video like this where they go through some effort to warn people of the dangers, there's probably 10 people who buy these high powered lasers, and permanently damage their eyes because they don't realize that reflections are dangerous or something equally stupid.

Agreed. I was once upon a time licensed to run a 2w solid state laser. That thing terrified me and I was able to control the safety of it. Little handhelds like this are very dangerous because very few people will wear eye protection, and even reflections can blind you if you are not careful. Anyone who builds this please do yourself a favor and buy the proper eye protection. Make sure it is for the proper wavelength of you laser, not all laser eye protection is created equal. Be safe.

On engadget, it claimed this thing was more than 2 watts, so the concern over your vision mentioned in the above posts is very well founded. This thing is a legit weapon if you point it at someone without eyewear. Blindness here we come!

meh, I will just burn stuff with my 40W green hehe

Back