GLOBALFOUNDRIES Unveils FinFET Transistor Architecture

HardOCP News

[H] News
GLOBALFOUNDRIES today accelerated its leading-edge roadmap with the launch of a new technology designed for the expanding mobile market. The company’s 14nm-XM offering will give customers the performance and power benefits of three-dimensional “FinFET” transistors with less risk and a faster time-to-market, helping the fabless ecosystem maintain its leadership in mobility while enabling a new generation of smart mobile devices.

The XM stands for “eXtreme Mobility,” and it is the industry’s leading non-planar architecture that is truly optimized for mobile system-on-chip (SoC) designs, providing a whole product solution from the transistor all the way up to the system level. The technology is expected to deliver a 40-60% improvement in battery life when compared to today’s two-dimensional planar transistors at the 20nm node.

Thank goodness for FinFET three-dimensional transistors enabling lower risk and faster time-to-market! This is just the thing my fabless ecosystem needed to maintain mobile leadership using a non-planar designs. Now, smart mobile Skirbbels everywhere can transition away from those ancient 20nm planar transistors and get improved battery life with increased performance. ;)

Wow, I can almost visualize 3-4 years in the future from the hype. ;)

But seriously, LOL. XM is so totally EXTREME TO THE MAX. Wanna generate some excitement about FinFET, GF? Show a product, not "me too" marketing press releases.

From the Article, tape out is expected in 2013, so most likely 2H 2013 or 1Q 2014.

I only say what I said because chip foundries seem to typically tout they know how to manufacture at a smaller process... but the lag time between tapping out designs and then getting into them into phones seems to be kinda sloppy (and slow).

Back