Grim Analyst Report Delivers Latest Hit To Netflix

HardOCP News

[H] News
More bad news for Netflix. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time Hastings and the crew got any good news. Can you?

Netflix Inc.'s stock slid nearly 6 percent Monday amid the latest round of investor concerns about the video subscription service's ability to make money and retain customers as it grapples with higher licensing costs and tougher completion.

They never should have tried the price hike in the manner they did. Obviously, even before the price hike, they had an unsustainable business model in the long-term, due to the big entertainment / media companies' monopoly. They should have focused on keeping customer goodwill and started a massive public relations campaign against the big monopoly to see if they could get massive public support and force big media/entertainment to open up their content at fair prices.

The is probably where big media companies wanted them to be. They wanted them to rise their prices, and charged them more for licenses. Now comes the final phase of Netflix, which is them pulling out of the market for good.

I don't wanna see Netflix fall apart, but their price hike should be reverted. Until they offer more content, the price hike makes their service overpriced.

I got rid of cable TV around 6 months ago and haven't missed it since. Cable costs were going up $1 or $2 a month for the last two years as movie studios and TV stations kept raising their prices for content (and municipalities kept adding fees making it even worse). It got way past the point where I felt it was worth it. I do use Netflix still though.... And now we get closer to the point where we'll lose Netflix and a few other streaming services and then the 'survivors' can try and charge $40 / month for their streaming services and we'll all decide those are just not worth it either. I wonder where the movie studios and $20+ million / movie actors will go for their money then?

The is probably where big media companies wanted them to be. They wanted them to rise their prices, and charged them more for licenses. Now comes the final phase of Netflix, which is them pulling out of the market for good.

I don't wanna see Netflix fall apart, but their price hike should be reverted. Until they offer more content, the price hike makes their service overpriced.

Yes continue losing millions per months due to licensing costs is a great way to keep the company going. Big media hates internet streaming and will do everything it takes to eliminate all of them.

I don't have cable. Frankly I think most of shows are garbage with a few gems buried underneath. I'm perfectly happy with my 40mb internet and netflix/prime streaming :)

Yes continue losing millions per months due to licensing costs is a great way to keep the company going. Big media hates internet streaming and will do everything it takes to eliminate all of them.

They don't hate it. They just want the money for themselves.

Each separate studio will release its own service, or proxy service, showing only their content. And we will end up with like 6 different services all costing at least $19.99. And even then those services will still restrict their content as they try to keep the theater and dvd revenue.

Which will lead to more pirating.

So they will bribe Congress, and SOPA, or PIPA, or whatever abortion they come up with next, will either pass through Congress, or be enacted by Executive Decision.

And we will finally have our War on Piracy, to add to our Wars on various other nouns. Like terrorism. Or Drugs. Or Whistle blowers. ETC...

I recently have watched a little cable TV since there was a 4 month promo that costed barely more than internet alone. Before that we stopped paying for Netflix streaming.

Wow, the commercials are extremely long. It's really pathetic. I'm almost considering going to netflix streaming before the comcast bill goes up. Man, regardless of what I'll do next I really hope netflix doesn't tank. Big media has way too much control and they are squeezing it all away from us. Big prices and/or long commercials is the future if netflix and the like tank.

I dropped Dish for OTA and Netflix/Amazon Prime. All those combined make me not miss Dish one bit. WAY too expensive and the price kept creeping up without any benefit on my end. I have zero loyalty to any of those companies, so I'll drop them if they don't offer what I want for a price I don't mind paying.

Ha ha. Good for them. Screw Netflix.
^^ misguided

Yup, exactly on point. When Netflix goes under and people don't have a streaming service because the competition has been choked out by the media companies, all the gleeful people can rejoice. :rolleyes:

Ya Netflix really should have been smarter about the price hike. They could have done it without angering the media companies and still keeping people sympathetic to them. All they had to do was tell the truth and lay a little insinuation. Basically say something like "We are going to have to make streaming service a separate charge, not just an add on to DVD service. We realize this results in a big price jump for our consumers, unfortunately there is no other way. The licensing costs associated with streaming media are such that we cannot sustain our current price."

Well people already hate big media, they'll fill in the gaps to "The media companies are fucking us on licensing fees." Netflix wouldn't be the big jerks, they'd be the poor underdogs and people would like them all the more for it.

They really handled the situation poorly, and then made it worse with the "We're going to split the company!" BS.

Netflix is great imo.

I don't know why people bitch about Netflix costs. HBO or Cinemax alone are $16 each here and don't offer nearly quantity or quality. Also Netflix selection has gotten better as far as I can tell (been watching the listings because of the negative hype). Conclusion, I think our society allows the media shape our opinions too much.

Ya Netflix really should have been smarter about the price hike. They could have done it without angering the media companies and still keeping people sympathetic to them. All they had to do was tell the truth and lay a little insinuation. Basically say something like "We are going to have to make streaming service a separate charge, not just an add on to DVD service. We realize this results in a big price jump for our consumers, unfortunately there is no other way. The licensing costs associated with streaming media are such that we cannot sustain our current price."

Well people already hate big media, they'll fill in the gaps to "The media companies are fucking us on licensing fees." Netflix wouldn't be the big jerks, they'd be the poor underdogs and people would like them all the more for it.

They really handled the situation poorly, and then made it worse with the "We're going to split the company!" BS.

People would have still bitched about it, you give consumers way too much credit.

how can content delivery companies like netflix compete and survive when content creation companies can merge with network infrastructure companies and leverage a hundred years of government sponsored development against everyone? does anyone know how netflix will do business when comcast has a wire going to your house carrying a movie that costs them nothing to license because they own Universal?

I can't say I'm surprised. The conglomerates have been trying hard to kill them. Apparently they have to go bankrupt first; before an internet based content delivery service can thrive.

As everyone else has said, I saw this coming since the price hike. It's not just that they raised prices though, it's that they did it without any PR and with no added value. In fact, not only is the streaming library updated inconsistently, it's usually a bunch of crap because the good stuff is reserved for premium priced distribution. I havnt cancelled because it's like $8, but every month I get closer to pulling the plug.

This is only happening because the tv and movie industories are scared of companies like netflix. They show it by asking for crazy money to stream episodes and movies. The media industory over price their output, because they have no idea of how much it is actually worth. They dont understand the internet, and want it gone.

I personally would not mind paying a little more for netflix, as that would help then offer more programming. But it is a shame that netflix tried to pull the price increase the way they did.

how can content delivery companies like netflix compete and survive when content creation companies can merge with network infrastructure companies and leverage a hundred years of government sponsored development against everyone? does anyone know how netflix will do business when comcast has a wire going to your house carrying a movie that costs them nothing to license because they own Universal?

^this

They couldn't get a law against net neutrality so now they're just strong arming companies out of business.

Netflix has made some errors in the past, but I still love them. Much better value than cable or satellite TV. I've been thinking about bumping by DVD's out from one to two. Now is a good time as any.

Ha ha. Good for them. Screw Netflix.

Congrats, you're the biggest f'ing moron on the Internet today! For $8 a month you can essentially replace cable, that costs 10x that. Yeah, fuck Netflix, I should get access to unlimited AAA blockbuster releases for $5 a month! How dare the charge me an extra $4, I'm going back to cable, I like commercials and getting ass raped!

Netflix + Lack of captions + significantly lower quality than blu-ray + doubling in price = FAIL all around.

The service is basically unusable for me as a person with a large screen tv & being hearing impaired.

On the other hand I can rent a blu-ray for $1.50 from redbox every once in a while & return it the next day on the way to work.

Shiny Disc FTW!

Lack of captions? So far, everything I watch has CC available. (Only when I am using Netflix through a browser though, not in Media Center.)

Also, I watch movies to watch movies, not look at someone's nose hairs. However, I do have a bluray player for those movies I want to own and can get on sale.

Lack of captions? So far, everything I watch has CC available. (Only when I am using Netflix through a browser though, not in Media Center.)

Hm, I don't run Windows, so Last I checked netflix doesn't work in Linux. Even if It did, having a computer hooked up to the tv is a no-go with the wife.

I didn't even think about the no-Linux fail point.....Do they have a Linux client yet? If so cheers to them maybe I'll give it a shot.

Also, I watch movies to watch movies, not look at someone's nose hairs. However, I do have a bluray player for those movies I want to own and can get on sale.

I just don't want content I pay for to look like arse on my big screen tv. If it's youtube/free then it's kind of "meh".

They don't hate it. They just want the money for themselves.

Each separate studio will release its own service, or proxy service, showing only their content. And we will end up with like 6 different services all costing at least $19.99. And even then those services will still restrict their content as they try to keep the theater and dvd revenue.

Which will lead to more pirating.

So they will bribe Congress, and SOPA, or PIPA, or whatever abortion they come up with next, will either pass through Congress, or be enacted by Executive Decision.

And we will finally have our War on Piracy, to add to our Wars on various other nouns. Like terrorism. Or Drugs. Or Whistle blowers. ETC...

Yup, pretty much this...Friggin' insane how people are so shortsighted and aren't looking at the "end game" that the aholes are trying to play.

Hm, I don't run Windows, so Last I checked netflix doesn't work in Linux. Even if It did, having a computer hooked up to the tv is a no-go with the wife.

I didn't even think about the no-Linux fail point.....Do they have a Linux client yet? If so cheers to them maybe I'll give it a shot.

Deaf guy with controlling wife who uses Linux blames Netflix for his issues.
The failure is yours.

Deaf guy with controlling wife who uses Linux blames Netflix for his issues.
The failure is yours.

I wouldn't have stated it it in quite such a curt manner, but i do agree with your general sentiment.

I'm not hearing impaired but for certain shows i do like to turn CC on so i don't miss any of the mumbly dialogue. I know not everything streamable has CC but most newer content should. CC works great in browser (connected to TV). Never tested it on 360 since i don't have gold membership.

Also i find resolution to be more than adequate for my 42", and never have had any stuttering or buffering issues. I can't say the same thing for HBO Go.

Point is there are few legitimate complaints against netflix service. There's always room for improvement, but if the alternative is renting a movie at $3 from iTunes :rolleyes:

I don't always watch TV, but when I do, it's sometimes Netflix. (no real problems here)

I have to agree also here...

I like Netflix enough I would pay more on a better structured and introduced increases with some incentives tied to it.

Netflix is great. What they need to do is change their modus operandi. Stop trying to offer "more" and start offering "better." Sure they have their 75,000 video claim, but most of them are crap. I'd say they have a couple hundred movies and TV shows that are watchable. The rest are ignored.

If they licensed maybe 200 top tier movies and the same amount of TV shows, they would be in better shape. Though of course, the licensing is what is making their offerings the way they are. Though you can't help but wonder if they could take a huge chunk of those odd titles out and license a smaller amount of better content.

Grim Analyst Report? Is that a sequel to Minority Report? I don't remember that in theaters, let alone it being hit. But I prefer blockbusters anyway. But Minority Report was a stupid movie. All that technology with those holographic displays but the machine spits out a marble. And someone got paid to write that.

My biggest problem with Netflix is they've fractured the company into a mail service vs. a streaming service. Would it make sense for Chevrolet to sell cars but only lease trucks?

Screw netflix. I hope they close shop. Less competition is better for consumers. Can I get an AMEN?!

AMEN!!!

Screw netflix. I hope they close shop. Less competition is better for consumers. Can I get an AMEN?!

AMEN!!!
1e433_ORIG-The_Troll_is_Strong_in_this_one.jpg

its 27 cents a day for unlimited streaming

if you don't like their content, don't subscribe, but to say its over priced is ludicrous......basic cable in most places is like $2.00 a day and you get much less content .

I wouldn't have stated it it in quite such a curt manner, but i do agree with your general sentiment.

I'm not hearing impaired but for certain shows i do like to turn CC on so i don't miss any of the mumbly dialogue. I know not everything streamable has CC but most newer content should. CC works great in browser (connected to TV). Never tested it on 360 since i don't have gold membership.

Also i find resolution to be more than adequate for my 42", and never have had any stuttering or buffering issues. I can't say the same thing for HBO Go.

Point is there are few legitimate complaints against netflix service. There's always room for improvement, but if the alternative is renting a movie at $3 from iTunes :rolleyes:

CC is fine.

The resolution is fine for a 42" but that's actually fairly small these days (my friends 55" looks worse with Netflix). Bluray at 1080 is way better than Netflix's compressed HD.

The alternative is $1.50 down the street for a new popular movie compare to months old popular movies, old series, and crap on Netflix. And speaking of series, they are often incomplete which is a joke IMO.

I loved Netflix when it was continually getting better, I was willing pay for the future and getting discs in the mail was better than $5 at Blockbuster. But that has changed. They don't improve and IMO get worse, they have feirce competition now from Redbox and others, it's just hard to see the value even at $8 unless movies are your only form of entertainment and you consume a ton a month and don't mine searching through the rubbish for some gold.

Back