Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Delayed

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For those of you avid gamers of Baldur’s Gate who were expecting to see the imminent release of the Enhanced Edition in September, take a deep breath. The work continues on the Enhanced Edition, delaying its release until November.

With all of the changes they are making to the game though, it looks worth waiting for and it's always good to see developers working to make sure a game is as bug-free as possible.

Letting us know it isn't ready 4 days before the game is due is a bit crappy. They had to have known it wasn't ready weeks ago, perhaps more. It's this lack of communication that causes people to jump on the backs of games developers.

Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 are coming out in a few days, so it's no big loss I suppose.

I thought Baldur's Gate 2 was a better game overall. I wish they would enhance that one.

Well n/m I just read on Wikipedia that Overhaul Games started work on BG2 on March 15 and expect to release it some time in 2013

Wow, until this post I didn't even know that such a project was in the works. I hope GOG carries it and if not, I will purchase it directly from Overhaul Games if it's released this November!

Hasn't Torchlight 2 been delayed for 6 months now?

I don't think the dev have ever set a release date previously.

If you already have a date set, then I think its probable better to let your fans know much earlier in advance rather than waiting till the last minute where people would thought its release is imminent.

Nothing wrong with delays but you've got to keep your fans up to date.

For those with no patience and entitlement syndrome, its far better for a game to be delayed and released at a higher level of quality. Also, the developers dont owe you shit with regards to "waiting too long to announce the delay." Grow up.

I thought Baldur's Gate 2 was a better game overall. I wish they would enhance that one.

Baldur's Gate 2 is their next project.

I'd also state that Baldur's Gate 2 had a really tedious opening. I hated that damn dungeon. I started 7 characters, but only got out of the dungeon with 2 of them before I fell asleep while playing.

Baldur's Gate 2 is their next project.

I'd also state that Baldur's Gate 2 had a really tedious opening. I hated that damn dungeon. I started 7 characters, but only got out of the dungeon with 2 of them before I fell asleep while playing.

Actually, according to what I found on Wikipedia their start date is the same as BG. Obviously, they can only work on one project I would think so take that as you may.

However, I do agree, the starting dungeon was tedious played through a second time or more. So much more of the game was beyond that dungeon though. And did you ever fight Kangaxx the lich for the Daystar piece? Wow, that was one difficult fight, as it should be being a lich and all.

I guess there's a market for it, but I looked up this game in Wikipedia and it's like over a decade old. Are people who played it when it was new really interested in doing it again? Aren't they all mostly adults with better things to do with their leisure time like play golf or go see Broadway musicals?

I guess there's a market for it, but I looked up this game in Wikipedia and it's like over a decade old. Are people who played it when it was new really interested in doing it again? Aren't they all mostly adults with better things to do with their leisure time like play golf or go see Broadway musicals?

Yes, I am much busier now than I was when it first came out. I imagine most folks are. Still, I am ready to give both I and II another go around.

I believe that this speaks to how good these games really were and still are.

Your nostalgia clouds your judgment. Game re-makes are no better than movie remakes. Altar games has been basically remaking X-COM for years (UFO-afterlight etc,) and though enjoyable, nothing can capture the original feel.

Bioware has been able to evolve the genre with Neverwinter, KOTOR, Mass effect, Dragon age and so forth. Those games are the true sequels to Baldur's Gate.

But who knows, maybe some old fashioned D&D dice rolls will still hold their charm. Woot for console log.

Your nostalgia clouds your judgment. Game re-makes are no better than movie remakes. Altar games has been basically remaking X-COM for years (UFO-afterlight etc,) and though enjoyable, nothing can capture the original feel.

Bioware has been able to evolve the genre with Neverwinter, KOTOR, Mass effect, Dragon age and so forth. Those games are the true sequels to Baldur's Gate.

But who knows, maybe some old fashioned D&D dice rolls will still hold their charm. Woot for console log.

Yes, updating the AD&D rules alone made for more fun games like NWN and ToEE (which was really shallow otherwise). And combat in DA was just a joy.

They have a sale from me secured whenever it does come out. I am glad they are bringing back some really good games from the past. I wish they would make a new Never winter knights and Plane scape torment.

For those with no patience and entitlement syndrome, its far better for a game to be delayed and released at a higher level of quality. Also, the developers dont owe you shit with regards to "waiting too long to announce the delay." Grow up.

Soooo many people disagree with you. A lot of them were clogging up the torchlight forums.

Well, yes. Most of my time spent is on the kids though (school, sports, quality time, etc.), but I still manage to find some short time in the evenings to putz around. When I don't have too much to do on some weekends I will take a look at it too.

From what you typed, you've never really played these games. Since the graphics are being updated, maybe it would entice you to take a look. It certainly won't have the nice CGI elements like DA2 or something, but if you've read Forgotten Realms books (to include any Drizzt series) these mesh amazingly well into that landscape/story.

you know you're still a kid at heart when AD&D still means advanced dungeons and dragons, not accidental death and dismemberment. :-D

Good Old Games (GOG) got the license to carry those classic CRPGs in late 2010, fully updated to run on modern machines and operating systems, and the titles sold quite well. They still do, in fact. There are plenty of DOS games from the 80s and 90s that I'd still buy if GOG applied the same treatment to them. And that's not even mentioning games from other platforms (C-64/128, Amiga, Atari ST, various old consoles, etc.).

...but if you've read Forgotten Realms books (to include any Drizzt series) these mesh amazingly well into that landscape/story.

I haven't read the books either. I'm not actually literate or anything.

Good Old Games (GOG) got the license to carry those classic CRPGs in late 2010, fully updated to run on modern machines and operating systems, and the titles sold quite well. They still do, in fact. There are plenty of DOS games from the 80s and 90s that I'd still buy if GOG applied the same treatment to them. And that's not even mentioning games from other platforms (C-64/128, Amiga, Atari ST, various old consoles, etc.).

Hey GOG! I buy stuff from them once in a while and then never get around to playing it because I'd rather do other things. I have a copy of the Longest Journey and Dreamfall from them, but...meh...I just not really a gamer at all.

If you had to look it up you definitely underestimate the influence this title had on a generation of gamers. Look for it to be a big seller when its finally released. rehash or not.

If you had to look it up you definitely underestimate the influence this title had on a generation of gamers. Look for it to be a big seller when its finally released. rehash or not.

Why does looking something up cause someone to underestimate the influence of a game on the people who played it? I don't see the connection.

Why does looking something up cause someone to underestimate the influence of a game on the people who played it? I don't see the connection.

Don't sweat it Skribbel or would it be Kat :) ... gamers are a passionate bunch and we are occasionally subject to hyperbole ;) ... the Baldur's Gate games helped resurrect a genre that was on the ropes at the time (the computer D&D style Role Playing Game) ... the series had beautiful graphics (for their day) and a fairly intensive plot line ... the Non-player characters in the game had interesting back stories of their own and were key parts of the game's plot ... certainly there is a strong element of nostalgia in folk's interest in these titles but they were actually very good ... I think the plot elements of today's games are so much weaker than in those days when they didn't have fancy graphics to overwhelm the player and actually had to write a good game ... that said, the BG games were fairly hard core RPGs (lots of stats and leveling) and would not be everyone's cup of tea ... they were also massive games with lots of actual quests (very few of the postal quests that are so common in today's games) and require a large time committment ... think of a game of BG like reading "The Stand" ... it would be a big investment in time but if it is something in which you are interested you will get 100 hours of entertainment or more (including one of the greatest game NPCs ever, Minsc and his Space Hamster Boo) :D

Don't sweat it Skribbel or would it be Kat :) ... gamers are a passionate bunch and we are occasionally subject to hyperbole ;) ... the Baldur's Gate games helped resurrect a genre that was on the ropes at the time (the computer D&D style Role Playing Game) ... the series had beautiful graphics (for their day) and a fairly intensive plot line ... the Non-player characters in the game had interesting back stories of their own and were key parts of the game's plot ... certainly there is a strong element of nostalgia in folk's interest in these titles but they were actually very good ... I think the plot elements of today's games are so much weaker than in those days when they didn't have fancy graphics to overwhelm the player and actually had to write a good game ... that said, the BG games were fairly hard core RPGs (lots of stats and leveling) and would not be everyone's cup of tea ... they were also massive games with lots of actual quests (very few of the postal quests that are so common in today's games) and require a large time committment ... think of a game of BG like reading "The Stand" ... it would be a big investment in time but if it is something in which you are interested you will get 100 hours of entertainment or more (including one of the greatest game NPCs ever, Minsc and his Space Hamster Boo) :D

Well, I have been doing more reading about it and it does seem pretty interesting. I just was sort of confused because I really wasn't trying to accuse the remake idea of being not worth doing. I was just wondering, from my own experiences, where people who played it ten years ago would have a lot of time to invest in it now that they're grown up big people with cats to feed, bills to pay, and cat food to purchase. :)

As far as the SkribbelKat thing goes, I guess I should get more definitive. Skribbels are a sub-group of the species Kat. While there are things all Kats do, like chasing their own tail, having epic battles with yarn, sleeping away most of their time, bopping things with paws, and looking at the world through a window, Skribbels so certain other things or do normal Kat-type stuff in a particular way which makes them a whole subspecies all of their own. Skribbels, for instance, prefer looking at the world through a specific type of window known as the Windows ME. They also, unlike other Kat creatures, enjoy artsy things like drawing stick figures and creative things like making up fantasy worlds in which they write stories and such. It's a well-known fact that Skribbels cite themselves as credible sources when offering factual information (something that gets them in trouble once people figure that out) and they're even more easily distracted than a normal Kat. Cases of the shinies are very commonplace. :)

I guess there's a market for it, but I looked up this game in Wikipedia and it's like over a decade old. Are people who played it when it was new really interested in doing it again? Aren't they all mostly adults with better things to do with their leisure time like play golf or go see Broadway musicals?[/QUOT

for better or worse my life is almost identical to how it was when i first picked up that game at release. The only difference is replacing school with work and I have a car I tune now.

Otherwise i'm pretty much into the same stuff...no adult changes here besides the aforementioned work.

musicals are golf...that would be like the opening to my suicide note.

I have to disagree. Game remakes that add a little substance, with updated graphics, interfaces, and sound, is all I would want. I had more fun with BG2 than any other RPG to date, despite the somewhat clunky game mechanics. I still think Jon Irenicus was one of the best "villains" to date.

Chalk me up as one of those who don't like the direction the CRPG is moving. I don't care much for "action" RPGs. Though I admit, I did enjoy Mass Effect 1.

I guess there's a market for it, but I looked up this game in Wikipedia and it's like over a decade old. Are people who played it when it was new really interested in doing it again? Aren't they all mostly adults with better things to do with their leisure time like play golf or go see Broadway musicals?[/QUOT

for better or worse my life is almost identical to how it was when i first picked up that game at release. The only difference is replacing school with work and I have a car I tune now.

Otherwise i'm pretty much into the same stuff...no adult changes here besides the aforementioned work.

musicals are golf...that would be like the opening to my suicide note.

Totally agreed.

I am much busier now, but I still enjoy, for the most part, the same things.

Back