Samsung 830 SSD bad? low 4k-64thrd

Is my Samsung 830 SSD a dud? Should I return it?

I've been using my Crucial M4 64gb, but I started running out of space. So, i just got a Samsung 830 128gb. Freshly installed windows 7 on it, but my 4k-64thrd is really low.

My M4 was able to get 124MB/s but my 830 was only able to get 20MB/s?
Why is my write speed (49MB/s) higher than my read (20MB/s)?

Here are AS SSD benchmarks for both my drives installed on the same computer.
lvNvl.png
jHEXU.png

Q6600, AHCI, TRIM, 4k aligned, SATAII, MSAHCI drivers, but i also tested with IaStor intel and no difference.

It is your boot drive. Other running apps/services could always be interfering. If you are unsure, do a secure wipe and test it as a secondary drive. Also, is it hooked to a SATA3 controller (If so, those numbers are really low?)

Even for SATA II those numbers look really low. I was thinking iastor but reading comment above that is not an issue.

Yeah, something is up with those results. Have you tried it with Crystal DiskMark, just to be sure it isn't some kind of a glitch with AS-SSD? Have you tried swapping the port the M4 and the 830 are on (so the 830 is on the port the M4 was on and vice versa) to make sure it isn't a port problem? Maybe try a different cable?

First use Samsung magician and do a performance optimization. Then run test again.

Also make sure you have Enable Write Caching (only the first option, not the flushing one) in the device manager for the Samsung 830 Policies tab.

My 128GB 830 takes a real nose dive with that disabled.

EDIT: How full is the drive? Did you set any Over-Provision? I read that the drive hides 7GB by default, but magician for me recommend 11.9GB OP.

Last edited:
First use Samsung magician and do a performance optimization. Then run test again.

I took a look at that when I first got my 830, and immediately uninstalled the software without running any of its so called "optimizations"

There are some seriously wrong-headed settings changes it recommends in there. :eek:

I took a look at that when I first got my 830, and immediately uninstalled the software without running any of its so called "optimizations"

There are some seriously wrong-headed settings changes it recommends in there. :eek:

Like what?

You shouldn't need to do any optimizations to get better performance than you are seeing. A clean install of Windows on to an out-of-the-box- SSD (which is what you did, I think you said) should give better numbers than that.

I found the reason why my 4k-64thrd was so low. It was because I had Truecrypt FDE on the samsung 830 and not the crucial M4 (which it originally had, but I forgot I decrypted to repair boot files when I installed win7 on the 830 while still having the M4 attached. ).

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f227/ssd-disk-encryption-truecrypt-vs-bitlocker-vs-diskcryptor-689181.html

That comparison test in the link confirms my results and truecrypt as the culprit. I knew encryption would take a hit on performance a bit, but for some reason 4k-64thrd got hit hard using truecrypt. Bitlocker and Decryptor 4k-64thrd speeds were much better, guess they are more optimized for SSD than truecrypt.

Like what?
Glad you asked. Here's the rundown of what Samsung Magician suggests and why it's completely wrong and unnecessary.

Samsung Suggestion: "SuperFetch should be disabled."
Windows automatically detects if which drives in your system are fast enough to not need SuperFetch, and reduces priority on those drives massively. The service SHOULD NOT be disabled, as it's still needed for any mechanical drives in the system (and SuperFetch can actually help out SSDs slightly, RAM is still faster than an SSD).

Samsung Suggestion: "Disk Defragmenter should be disabled."
Windows automatically detects which drives in your system are SSDs and disables scheduled defragmentation on them. The service SHOULD NOT be disabled, as it's still needed by any mechanical drives in the system.

Samsung Suggestion: "ReadyBoost should be disabled."
This has NOTHING to do with the SSD. ReadyBoost is advantageous on systems with less than 2GB of RAM, regardless of what the system disk is.

Samsung Suggestion: "Indexing Service should be disabled."
The service SHOULD NOT be disabled, as doing so massively handicaps the Windows search system and makes it unable to search file contents (and searching for files from the start menu is disabled entirely). This also makes searches on any mechanical drives in the system much slower (in addition to results being less complete on all drives).

Samsung Suggestion: "MagicianSamsungSSD power schema should be used."
They do not define what power management changes this will make to the system, and after all of the above suggestions, I don't really want to find out. Suffice it to say, there's nothing wrong with Windows default "balanced" power scheme.

You guys are mistaking Magicians "Performance Optimization" and "OS Optimization"

Unknown-one is talking about the OS Optimization tab.

I was talking about the Performance Optimization which appears to do Trim/garbage cleanup. It takes a couple of minutes and then will run a benchmark. The benchmark can be quit as it starts as its useless.

Good to hear your sorted your problem out though.

TrueCrypt could be limited by your CPU. The default TC encryption scheme is AES-256, Bitlocker is AES-128, less CPU intensive but less secure (well, if you think bitlocker and secure belong in the same sentence).

EDIT: How full is the drive? Did you set any Over-Provision? I read that the drive hides 7GB by default, but magician for me recommend 11.9GB OP.

I found eaking out another 750MB for over provisioning gave a little speed boost to mine.

I basically added whatever was left over from the next full GB of space.

Glad you asked. Here's the rundown of what Samsung Magician suggests and why it's completely wrong and unnecessary.

Samsung Suggestion: "SuperFetch should be disabled."
Windows automatically detects if which drives in your system are fast enough to not need SuperFetch, and reduces priority on those drives massively. The service SHOULD NOT be disabled, as it's still needed for any mechanical drives in the system (and SuperFetch can actually help out SSDs slightly, RAM is still faster than an SSD).

Samsung Suggestion: "Disk Defragmenter should be disabled."
Windows automatically detects which drives in your system are SSDs and disables scheduled defragmentation on them. The service SHOULD NOT be disabled, as it's still needed by any mechanical drives in the system.

Samsung Suggestion: "ReadyBoost should be disabled."
This has NOTHING to do with the SSD. ReadyBoost is advantageous on systems with less than 2GB of RAM, regardless of what the system disk is.

Samsung Suggestion: "Indexing Service should be disabled."
The service SHOULD NOT be disabled, as doing so massively handicaps the Windows search system and makes it unable to search file contents (and searching for files from the start menu is disabled entirely). This also makes searches on any mechanical drives in the system much slower (in addition to results being less complete on all drives).

Samsung Suggestion: "MagicianSamsungSSD power schema should be used."
They do not define what power management changes this will make to the system, and after all of the above suggestions, I don't really want to find out. Suffice it to say, there's nothing wrong with Windows default "balanced" power scheme.

I agree with samsung.

superfetch even with a hdd boot drive is a debatable if its oversll beneficial, on a ssd turn it off, why do you want superfetch pre caching data not on your boot drive?
readyboost, with low ram I would rather have my ssd loading data not a usb stick, as ssd's are faster than usb sticks.
indexing, when this is off I can search from the start menu fine. Windows search grinds away and I turn it off anayway with a hdd, but is bad to have on a ssd,good advice from samsung.

Incidently on my laptop when I fresh installed win7 the first time, defrag did auto defrag my ssd to my anger, and superfetch was turned on. Microsoft's algorithms are not exactly great.hmm

Back