AMD To Usher in Next Era of Cloud-Based Gaming

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced an investment in CiiNOW, a provider of cloud gaming technology that enables game publishers, retailers and carriers to tap into the growing video game market expected to reach $81 billion by 20161. AMD, through AMD Ventures, has invested in an innovative software company serving a large and growing market that can create better end-user experiences by taking advantage of AMD technologies. With the investment and strategic collaboration facilitated by AMD Ventures, AMD and CiiNOW will work jointly to enable the best online gaming experience possible through a vibrant worldwide developer ecosystem and differentiated hardware.

"game market expected to reach $81 billion by 20161. "

20,161A.D. is really far away...!!

:)

"game market expected to reach $81 billion by 20161. "

20,161A.D. is really far away...!!

:)

The sad part is with inflation that means they will only be selling about 10 games in the year 20161 :p:D

Even before OnLive went tits up and even though there are problems with their service/deployment, it's always been my thought that "cloud" gaming is what PC gaming will eventually morph into--and sooner rather than later.

I just hope AMD knows what it's doing.

Even before OnLive went tits up and even though there are problems with their service/deployment, it's always been my thought that "cloud" gaming is what PC gaming will eventually morph into--and sooner rather than later.

It isn't OnLive that inspired this. Its OUYA. Someone saw the success of OUYA on kickstarter, they had 2 or 3 meetings and this is what plopped out. Somewhere in there, the $100 console and $3 android games got lost and the cloud behavior was the only thing left.

It isn't OnLive that inspired this. Its OUYA. Someone saw the success of OUYA on kickstarter, they had 2 or 3 meetings and this is what plopped out. Somewhere in there, the $100 console and $3 android games got lost and the cloud behavior was the only thing left.

This. By alot.

<Grunt> "I just found this new Kickstarter thing. Its for a $100 gaming console that plays Androids you can download for $3 a pop."

<Executive> "CLOUD IS THE KEY!"

<Grunt> "Yeah, its really cool. Its great for anyone who wants to play games on a bu---wait, what?"

The cloud gaming industry, which was once thought of as technologically impossible, is now disrupting the gaming market for both consumers and game publishers as more and more casual and hardcore gamers are making the jump to playing games online.

Have they not heard of what happened to OnLive?

Its easy enough these days to play video games on our own PC there's no reason to put up with compressed video and latency for no good reason. Most gamer would still rather run their game from their own PC.

Did I say that they were doing this because of OnLive?

And where is it stated that this is in support/inspiration of OUYA? Funnily enough, one of OUYA's marketed points was OnLive out-of-the-box. But oddly, OUYA has been developed and marketed as a stand-alone console (running games natively, not remotely). Why would AMD (or anyone else), in developing cloud-based gaming services, be inspired by one platform, and a platform that isn't even commercial yet? The cloud-gaming service would be device-agnostic.

If anything, the Nexus Q would be a much more appropriate platform of inspiration, since it is already being developed as a streaming-based device almost universally using non-native/remote content.

You sound like a friend I had in high school 13 years ago, he said pretty much the same thing about "cloud gaming."

Did I say that they were doing this because of OnLive?

And where is it stated that this is in support/inspiration of OUYA? Funnily enough, one of OUYA's marketed points was OnLive out-of-the-box. But oddly, OUYA has been developed and marketed as a stand-alone console (running games natively, not remotely). Why would AMD (or anyone else), in developing cloud-based gaming services, be inspired by one platform, and a platform that isn't even commercial yet? The cloud-gaming service would be device-agnostic.

If anything, the Nexus Q would be a much more appropriate platform of inspiration, since it is already being developed as a streaming-based device almost universally using non-native/remote content.

Other than missing the broader point, OUYA is online distribution only which is a hair away from 'cloud' gaming other than it runs locally. I wouldn't be surprised if cloud saves and global achievements are in the mix either through many of the games or the service itself. Digital distribution a la Steam in reality is about as close as you can get to cloud gaming and have it work. They also plan to use the OnLive (or its replacement name) service, anyway.

Enough marketing horseshit in that blurb to fertilize 5 acres.
lol, so true.

I tapped into the $81 billion video game market (by 2016) by selling a used game on ebay. Let me get a press release out. :D

Other than missing the broader point, OUYA is online distribution only which is a hair away from 'cloud' gaming other than it runs locally. I wouldn't be surprised if cloud saves and global achievements are in the mix either through many of the games or the service itself. Digital distribution a la Steam in reality is about as close as you can get to cloud gaming and have it work. They also plan to use the OnLive (or its replacement name) service, anyway.
Missing the broader point? Digital distribution is only "a hair away from 'cloud' gaming?" Are you for real? Yeah, let's forget about the fact that in one case, the console is doing the graphical processing whereas in the other, a server is doing the graphical processing and passing the data down a stream to the client... OUYA is a stand-alone console--it was developed to use the hardware on the console for the game processing, with the convenience that OL had an android client already deployed (though not really worked-out very well). That's just digital distribution, not cloud-based gaming in the context of CiiNOW. CiiNOW want's to do essentially what OnLive does(did). My point being again--where was it stated that OUYA is/was the inspiration for this AMD/CiiNOW venture that you mentioned? And why does it matter--you don't target a specific hardware platform if you want to expand cloud gaming--you target all platforms. Talk about missing the broader point...

Back