Zuckerberg Says Facebook Has Overcome Hurdles

HardOCP News

[H] News
Say what?!? I'd like to know which hurdles Facebook has overcome since the company went public. :eek:

"I would rather be in a cycle where people underestimate us," Zuckerberg said Tuesday. "I think it gives us the latitude to go out and make some big bets." Zuckerberg said the drop "has obviously been disappointing," but he said it's a great time to "double down" on the company's future.

Perhaps the most interesting thing he said is that FB isn't looking at it's own smart phone. But still I have doubts as how they are going to monetize mobile. Mobile rates are much lower than the desktop and I don't see mobile users putting up with ads. They are going to have to be very clever about this.

zero_zero_fucks_given_ah_ah_ah.jpg

screenshot20120904at647.png

am I wrong or does the new facebook interface suck?

am I wrong or is facebook not very cool, and not getting cooler?

am I wrong or does the new facebook interface suck?

am I wrong or is facebook not very cool, and not getting cooler?

The parents and grandparents are on it so it's not cool anymore. Time for the short attention span kids to move on to another revolutionary thing.

The parents and grandparents are on it so it's not cool anymore. Time for the short attention span kids to move on to another revolutionary thing.

It's not that the kids are moving on. The ones that got on Facebook when it was the in thing are still doing it as disgusting old people in their 20's and 30's now. Younger generations are staying away though because it's littered with geezers who are all like over 21. :( Most of my friends who are still in high school have zero interest in being on it because there's nothing for them there except for ads and their annoying parents.

Facebook overcoming hurdles? How about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9rTuUb1-w - Yep, overcoming them, alright. :rolleyes:

As for Facebook - I haven't seen them improve anything of theirs lately. Their mobile apps still suck so bad, even when they've been working on making a proper native app for both iOS and Android. It seems like they have no clue at coding software at all. All Facebook does for me right now is like watching a train wreck, just that you can't look away but be amused by it.

Facebook share value may have risen from $18 to £19.

Personally, I don’t want Facebook value to go up. I want it to go down. I don’t want Facebook taking more advertising revenue from the rest of the Web, threatening the survival of the Internet’s diversity.

It's not that the kids are moving on. The ones that got on Facebook when it was the in thing are still doing it as disgusting old people in their 20's and 30's now. Younger generations are staying away though because it's littered with geezers who are all like over 21. :( Most of my friends who are still in high school have zero interest in being on it because there's nothing for them there except for ads and their annoying parents.

Reading your response should make the value of facebook stock go up, since us old geezers will no longer have to be bothered by blocking all those young kids posting their attention-whore pictures on facebook.

Facebook share value may have risen from $18 to £19.

Personally, I don’t want Facebook value to go up. I want it to go down. I don’t want Facebook taking more advertising revenue from the rest of the Web, threatening the survival of the Internet’s diversity.

That's an excellent point. With Google and Facebook in the position of being able to absorb a large amount of advertising revenues, they are in a unique position of lowering the advertiser diversity. Though that means there are fewer sites I have to add to my restricted sites list...

Reading your response should make the value of facebook stock go up, since us old geezers will no longer have to be bothered by blocking all those young kids posting their attention-whore pictures on facebook.

There's always going to be some of those kinds though, the ones that beg for attention and they'll use social media regardless of how much of the world's older population takes advantage of it. You'd have to start some sort of broad societal engineering project to build a cultural mindset that doesn't bother itself with Facebook and one that finds those traits worthy of breeding. I'm all for eugenics used to improve plant biodiversity or push higher yields in farms, but I'm not sure our civilization is mature enough to handle such a thing being done to its own population.

This is brilliant.

maybe you should un-friend those young kids posting their attention whore pictures? I did that for the girlfriend and then un friended her IRL

I think that's probably excellent for Facebook, though. Advertising to teenyboppers with little to no money to spend doesn't do the company any good at all. I think, too, that there's a certain level of immaturity involved in opinions similar to the one you've expressed above. "Free" services like Facebook are not free at all, and in fact cost a bundle to maintain and operate, let alone update and upgrade. Services like Fb don't grow on trees; without advertising revenue Facebook wouldn't exist, and if the advertisers believe that their advertising on the Fb network isn't effective they'll withdraw those advertising dollars--as GM did recently. If facebook loses too much advertising revenue, it folds and is no more. Facebook couldn't survive on just the under-21 market.

That said, I'm not a Facebooker and never have been. My wife enjoys it, but from what I've seen of it the interface stinks. She keeps up with a lot of her old friends, though. They like it, apparently.

I think that's probably excellent for Facebook, though. Advertising to teenyboppers with little to no money to spend doesn't do the company any good at all.

It's true, parents tote the note. However, teenagers can apply considerable pressure and manipulate the purchasing habits of their parents. Marketing managers who ignore that fact when determining the correct marketing mix for a product when selling to adults in that segment are foolish if they don't at least consider it.

I think, too, that there's a certain level of immaturity involved in opinions similar to the one you've expressed above. "Free" services like Facebook are not free at all, and in fact cost a bundle to maintain and operate, let alone update and upgrade. Services like Fb don't grow on trees; without advertising revenue Facebook wouldn't exist, and if the advertisers believe that their advertising on the Fb network isn't effective they'll withdraw those advertising dollars--as GM did recently. If facebook loses too much advertising revenue, it folds and is no more.

That'd be exciting! I could totally roast marshmallows over the fires that consume Facebook when it sells its assets to AOL for mere pocket change.

SkribbelKat...I hate to have to break it to you this way but FB stock went up yesterday...

SkribbelKat...I hate to have to break it to you this way but FB stock went up yesterday...

Does this mean that MySpace won't be buying them out tomorrow? OOOOOR, does it mean that Kraft Foods, which bought a lot of Facebook stock when it was lower, is building revenue necessary in staging a hostile takeover? Ooooh, the plot is getting all thick and gooey..like vegemite! VEGEMITE!!!!!

skribblekat must be 16 or so. Reality is, 16 year olds have no buying power, they have no money, they have no ability to vote, they have no power, only imagined ability to control their parents. They are not the market. Facebook was originally for college students only, it wasn't for people under 18, they opened it up, to make more money obviously.

The only thing getting someone under 18 on facebook does, is get them hooked, so when they get older they are still around, just like cigarette companies, get them when they are young and they'll be pack a day smokers when they are 21-50.

skribblekat must be 16 or so. Reality is, 16 year olds have no buying power, they have no money, they have no ability to vote, they have no power, only imagined ability to control their parents. They are not the market. Facebook was originally for college students only, it wasn't for people under 18, they opened it up, to make more money obviously.

The only thing getting someone under 18 on facebook does, is get them hooked, so when they get older they are still around, just like cigarette companies, get them when they are young and they'll be pack a day smokers when they are 21-50.

I might be 16...:p Then again, I might be some other age too! Oooh, so mysterious, those Skribbels! ;)

It's somewhat silly of people to use age (or their guess at an age) as a means to be dismissive of the ideas someone presents. I frequently encounter people who, because they feel insecure in the presentation of their thoughts, discount or disregard others using the flawed reason that their age absolutely must prohibit them from having performed a valid analysis. Using the presenter's age as a discriminator of the usefulness of the concept they are presenting is an easy escape mechanism to evade having to consider something that selective exposure would have otherwise filtered, but didn't. :) *pat-pats* You need some cookies!

I guess FB is spending 1.9 billion buying back stock (or just did). Does this mean they think their stock has bottomed out and it is the right time to buy? I guess this is why the stock has went up a little, good publicity at best.

Back