Tablets Are Changing the Tech You Use

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
You may not know it yet, but I’m certain you can sense the shift in the Matrix of the computer world. Just as sure as the progression of digital over analog, tablets are beginning to change and dictate the trends of the near future.

Desktop operating systems are now borrowing design elements from tablets – Apple’s Launchpad and Microsoft’s Modern UI interfaces both reek of “tabletification.” It’s clear that both Apple and Microsoft view tablets as the future, and are doing everything they can to move consumers towards that future.

I don't think so... I browse websites on tablets....thats about it? Everything else is easier for me to do with a full size PC/Laptop

I can see it, but nothing will ever replace a desktop for me.. unless they can power some crazy graphics.

Launchpad is useless on the desktop. I feel the same way about those tiles.

Tablets are ideal for consumption of media. They're easy to use, convenient, and portable. PCs are ideal for production of said media, being powerful, fast, and typically less portable. This is why they are best left as two wholly independent devices but which have smooth integration with each other. It's not that there aren't good ideas that can come between them, but given the very different methods of input UI should be the least fluid to transition between platforms. Bottom line, as someone who has the gamut (smart phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop) I like how each of my devices is distinct and serves a different purpose, and that they do it well. This movement towards tablet-inspired interfaces on desktop platforms makes as much sense as making car tires from licorice "because it's black too".

I like how theres all this crap about "tablets are ruling teh world". But everyone buys one and gets bored of them in 3 minutes...

Tablets are ideal for consumption of media. They're easy to use, convenient, and portable. PCs are ideal for production of said media, being powerful, fast, and typically less portable. This is why they are best left as two wholly independent devices but which have smooth integration with each other. It's not that there aren't good ideas that can come between them, but given the very different methods of input UI should be the least fluid to transition between platforms. Bottom line, as someone who has the gamut (smart phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop) I like how each of my devices is distinct and serves a different purpose, and that they do it well. This movement towards tablet-inspired interfaces on desktop platforms makes as much sense as making car tires from licorice "because it's black too".

I see things differently than most people around here on the subject of Windows 8 and the integration of tablet and touch capabilities and actually like it. With the advancements in hardware a full function PC is very much now in the realm of a tablet sized device. And as much as one wants to criticize the new Windows 8 UI all of the desktop programs that one runs on Windows 7 work identically in Windows 8. Office works as always. Photoshop works as always. Eclipse and Visual Studio work as always. And these things can all run on devices that are just ounces heavier than an iPad with solid performance and work just like a Windows 7 desktop or laptop when connected to an external keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Then if one wants to take it on the road they simply take the device out of a dock or unplug the peripherals and then they have a device that can still has access to full desktop capabilities, file systems, etc that can play Angry Birds Space just as they would on an iPad or Android tablet with touch. Or with a portable mouse if you're so inclined. Or then take out a digital pen and take notes in handwriting or convert the handwriting to text on the fly.

We will be debating this for some years to come but as in usually the case with technology convergence is natural and inevitable. We no longer generally have separate phones or MP3 players or GPS devices or fax machines or printers or copiers. Beyond the technical limits of hardware and costs there's nothing that a dedicated tablet and PC can do that a hybrid Windows 8 device can't. Issues of the UI and supposed efficiency are mostly training issues that in time are solved as more people become familiar with the new UI.

I don't believe he is. I see it all the time too.

And I don't believe it. There are too many enterprise problems to overcome. Not to mention security.

Windows 8 tablets (the x86 kind) have all of the security capabilities of a Windows 7 desktop or laptop, even with Metro.

Let's face it. The tablet interface is being rammed down Windows User's throats because Microsoft believe it will give a boost to their Mobile Devices if people are 'familiar' with it already from the desktop.

If anything the contempt that forced 'familiarity' will bread for that particular windows 8 interface will probably end up costing sales.

If anything the contempt that forced 'familiarity' will bread for that particular windows 8 interface will probably end up costing sales.

A risk that Microsoft is willing to take considering that the PC market is in boatload of trouble right now. I have no idea why some people think that if Microsoft just released as desktop only OS that they'd be in a whole lot more trouble than what they're facing with Windows 8.

i work for a small computer company that does a lot of business support (i do web devel/support) but we also have a storefront for doing mostly break-fix / malware removal on old peoples computers (and to have a physical presence).

i've seen less and less people come through the door this past year, and our 'techs' are begrudgingly advising the people who are asking them about 'buying a tablet' that they think it's just a 'fad' and that nobody is going to really stop using pcs. these kids are gamers/geeks who really have no serious skill set and aren't nearly as experienced as our fieldtechs (which are mcse/ccna level techs).

i told one of them the other day they better find some new skills or they'd be out of a job in 3-5 years. sure corporate/business is always going to need IT guys, but i really do think the the small-town computer shop is going to disappear by 2020.

i'm cool with mobile/small platforms. people love ajax/java/jquery powered technology (when they realize what it is and what it can do for the user experience) - and once the market really takes hold people are going to have to accept the fact that it takes 2-3 times as long (thus costs 2-3x more) to develop for multiple platforms and for xml driven applications.

kc to a point i agree with you, but from a person who has had to configure a few dozen tablets for friends and family members...there will still be a need for a 'tech' to type in mail server information...sadly...

I like how theres all this crap about "tablets are ruling teh world". But everyone buys one and gets bored of them in 3 minutes...

This. I bought my iPad last summer and got bored of it within the first month of owning it. Why? Because most of the websites and apps are just crippled versions of the real deal, aka Desktop versions. Tablets are nice and I wish that it were more compatible with Desktop apps, but until then, they are just toys, not tools.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

No. Pure real world. There is no reason to own a keyboardless laptop or a less portable smartphone you can't make calls with.

At the moment it's like a Tamagochi, in a while it will be likea tamagochi a few months later. It's a stupid useless, expensive fad. Though, in tablets favour, there is no limit to peoples lack of common sense.

Tablet devices are great for protecting a favorite book from collecting dust when it's archived. You just place the tablet atop it and it gets dusty from not being used instead. The tablet devices I've purchased in the past have all ended up doing that sorta thing after the newness wears off.

E-books are killing paper books! End of paper books coming!
While e-book sales are doing very well, paper book sales really haven't dropped that much.
Then the corp stupidity sets in: Lets price fix digital and screw over the sheep...
E-books have their place, but so do paper books.

Consoles are killing gaming PCs! End of PCs is nigh!
Console gaming has been 'killing' computers for 10 years now. Still has yet to happen. You all know the reasons why.
Console gaming has done more to hold back the advancement of gaming than any other 'thing' out there. There's big money to be made in console sales though, so here we are...

Tablets are going to take over computers! Computers are going to end up with tablet interfaces!
Here we go again... We need to make MORE money, our profits fell and we aren't doing well. Never mind we're still racking it in hand over fist...
Apple's made a mint off of tablets, we can do the same!

Fact is, PC's last too long and are too powerful. Where as tablets are in their infancy. People will fork over their money for the latest greatest, and hand it over, and beg to have their money taken for a 1.5% performance and feature update. You can count on that fact driving everything coming endpoints wise for the next 10 years or more.

Ipad is great, my wife and kid use ours all the time. I experimented with and android tablet first but the eco system is terrible and it got boring fairly quickly. Got the ipad3 in march and it's still going strong.

It's all about ecosystem and services. Amazon and Apple seem to be the only ones that get that so far.

That being said, I'm a geek and use my laptop almost exclusively because I code a lot for work, so it's just what I prefer. But for a good chunk of people that see their pc as a pure entertainment device, a tablet is all they need.

A tablet is a laptop without real input devices, which i personally have no need for. You can't even game properly on them... just the stupid bejeweled or online poker or angry birds type gaming.

The cool applications for tablets that i've seen are: looking up cooking recipes, facebook, music, fantasy football.

It cracks me up that my boss uses his tablet to send emails at work... i can't imagine how long it takes him to type those up lol

Back