IT Employment Continues to Gain

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Surveys conducted by research firm Janco Associates show a marked upward trend in IT hiring, which is good news to all in the technology industry. Still, the news isn’t good all the way across the board, with some IT positions continuing to show high rates of unemployment.

Janco conducts ongoing surveys of CIOs to assess their hiring goals, and Victor Janulaitis, CEO of Janco, said that many CIOs are cautious "but feel that overall hiring will improve significantly in 2013 and are initially budgeting accordingly."

'feel'
Yea, short for only if we're making hand over fist in profits.

I wish that companies would realize in 2013 that IT is not an overhead cost but part of the core business, considering that virtually every desk job today is reliant on the performance and upkeep of everything from the desktop, to network, to servers.

Time is money, and when your IT guys are backed up on work orders for weeks, that may be efficient use of your IT guys time but its losing money so get hiring already.

I wish that companies would realize in 2013 that IT is not an overhead cost but part of the core business, considering that virtually every desk job today is reliant on the performance and upkeep of everything from the desktop, to network, to servers.

Time is money, and when your IT guys are backed up on work orders for weeks, that may be efficient use of your IT guys time but its losing money so get hiring already.

No kidding. Bad CRM systems cost productivity in a big way too. I can't tell you how many places I have been as a customer where employees complain how much time is wasted by vertical applications that don't work or won't let them do something they need to do everyday. Management never actually does any work with those systems so they don't seem to realize how it affects their employees ability to get work done in a reasonable amount of time.

There are about 20 open positions (mostly IT) where I work, I guess they're feeling more confident as time goes on.

Might save yourself from some of the deluge of PMs by telling everyone where you live...

Our world is constantly pushing its advancement into the computing age , right now is really a boom time for ITs.

I'm curious how it will be 50 years from now.

Our world is constantly pushing its advancement into the computing age , right now is really a boom time for ITs.

I'm curious how it will be 50 years from now.
Its all about supply and demand.

At first there was a shortage of IT people, benjamins were flowing like crazy, and then there was a huge outsourcing of virtually all entry level IT support tasks and decline in IT employment as a whole while more kids were graduating from college entering the industry.

I wouldn't say its boom time for IT, it just might be getting a little better.

Right now I'd say its actually boom time for the medical industry because of Obama-care and an aging boomer population. There is a huge shortage of doctors and nurses already, and its expected to only get worse, and especially with doctors you can't just churn out more overnight.

So if I were entering college now, without question I'd go into the medical industry in some form or another and avoid IT.

OP reminds me of all the articles that say precisely the opposite that I have seen on Slashdot throughout the past year.

News is FOS and BS everywhere -- you can always find an article from a 'credible' source that says precisely the opposite as that on another.

Funny enough I have an interview for an IT admin position tomorrow in downtown Dallas (TX)

I'm already employed as a computer room operator in a distribution environment, already maxed pay with the company I'm at after 2 years. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Anyone heard of or are familiar with Boston Consulting? http://www.bcg.com/ They are the ones that got in touch with me. Funny enough I'm sort of overqualified once I saw the job description, only requiring a "2 years with experience" -- I graduated from A&M with an Econ degree, along with 10+ years of IT experience, I've heard amazing things about the company just need to know its a solid position with upward mobility.

Back