IE and Chrome Still Fighting It Out for Market Share

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Ever since Chrome was released, the Google Browser has been chasing after Internet Explorer for the honor of top spot. According to several surveys, Chrome did just that in May of this year by catching Internet Explorer, but has only been able to maintain that position with no major growth since that time. The one sure thing is Firefox is paying the price for the race.

These new numbers show that the big user growth in Chrome has indeed slowed down, while there's also a slight resurgence in IE usage. It remains to be seen if this is just an anomaly or the start of a new trend.

What is so thrilling about browsers that we need to hear about the marketshare battle? Who cares, they're just browsers.

What is so thrilling about browsers that we need to hear about the marketshare battle? Who cares, they're just browsers.

The market leader can dictate how things are done. I don't use either whenever possible. I think the competition is good.

I use IE on my left screen (email/stocks/etc), Firefox on my center screen (My fav 10 home sites/general browsing) , and Chrome on my right screen (Youtube, Podcasts, boobs, etc). I guess that means I prefer FF since I use it on my biggest screen.

Go FF!!!

and Chrome and IE..

I don't use Chrome because Google purposefully break things in other browsers. Sites run by Google get more and more unusable and buggy, while more and more "get Chrome" ads are plastered everywhere.

I use IE on my left screen (email/stocks/etc), Firefox on my center screen (My fav 10 home sites/general browsing) , and Chrome on my right screen (Youtube, Podcasts, boobs, etc). I guess that means I prefer FF since I use it on my biggest screen.

Go FF!!!

and Chrome and IE..

One question:

Why?

After I adopted Chrome as my default browser, I began to encounter problems more frequently than I ever had with Firefox. Anytime I have a trouble page in Chrome, I re-paste the URL in IE9 and it works just as it should. IE is now a great browser as far as I'm concerned. As Chrome is my default, I didn't bother to install FF upon my latest reformat months ago.

I just may make IE my default.

I think Firefox is still #1 when it comes to people who actually made a choice about what browser they use.

Internet Explorer users are still mostly people who just use whatever comes with the computer, and most Chrome users ended up with Chrome because it was bundled with something else they got conned into installing.

I think Firefox is still #1 when it comes to people who actually made a choice about what browser they use.

Internet Explorer users are still mostly people who just use whatever comes with the computer, and most Chrome users ended up with Chrome because it was bundled with something else they got conned into installing.

For Internet Explorer and me in particular, this is true. It's already there, it's good enough, so why bother? That's part of the reasoning. The other part is a irrational fear of Google spyware and a dislike of unreliable, glitchy Firefox.

Its all about Opera 12 for me personally. Although IE9 is always bullet proof. Opera has issues with some sites from time to time but in IE9 everything always works right.

Go FF!!!

and Chrome and IE..

Has chrome lately been terrible for youtube? For me it has it is always crashing unpredictably for me.

Has chrome lately been terrible for youtube? For me it has it is always crashing unpredictably for me.

I always try to run the newest Chrome beta (not sure why...lol) that's currently available. I just mention that as an FYI though. So with that said, Chrome has always had issues with weird random crashes in my experience. At least when compared to FF or IE. Is it doing it more than normal lately? I'd say no to be honest. That's version 22.0.1229.26 beta-m at the moment.

Chrome is my favorite, firefox is #2, IE is last by a long shot, they always seem to be behind. Now all we need is a true rival to windows and us consumers will be all the better off.

I always try to run the newest Chrome beta (not sure why...lol) that's currently available. I just mention that as an FYI though. So with that said, Chrome has always had issues with weird random crashes in my experience. At least when compared to FF or IE. Is it doing it more than normal lately? I'd say no to be honest. That's version 22.0.1229.26 beta-m at the moment.

Yea just recently it keeps crashing when I watch flash videos on youtube. The only reason I continue to still use it as my primary browser is because ad block or else IE 9 is plenty fine for me.

I just hate how Chrome crashes the first time you try to print something. I often print to PDF and the first time Chrome crashes and I have to to restart it. I also have work pages that don't open perform correctly in Chrome. That being said, I like how streamlined Chrome is. I used to use FF more, but it's just becoming a bloated piece of failure lately.

As has been mentioned, share numbers are pointless.

IE/Safari/Chrome are default installs or bundled with everything. They work well enough for browsing and use them for various things (hello IE-only corporate sites).

Only Firefox/Opera counts show anything since to get those requires actually choosing them.

I personally prefer Waterfox (64 bit Firefox) as my browser. Lightning fast and stable with tons of themes and addons. Plus they are backed by one of the few organizations that actually desire a free internet. Microsoft/Apple/Google all have ulterior motives behind their browsers and seriously lack customization. No thanks.

I use IE10 on Windows 8 and IE9 on Windows 7 as my work-related browser with all my work-related bookmarks, mostly because I run Remote Desktop Web servers and SharePoint 2007 and 2010, which works best on Internet Explorer.

I use Chrome for personal browsing - Facebook, YouTube, this forum, and so on. Less bookmark clutter to deal with this way.

My personal favorite sites are on the top favorites bar on Chrome, my frequently accessed sites for work are on my favorites bar on IE9/10. Easy Peasy.

I may try FF again. Chrome for some reason won't open my tabs. I need to restart the browser two or three times to get all my home pages open up. Annoying to say the least.

I use chrome as my main driver, but mostly out of habit and the account switching at this point. IE is a great browser these days, hate for it is just left over from people who haven't tried it lately.

Firefox is still dog slow for me in my experience.

I use chrome as my main driver, but mostly out of habit and the account switching at this point. IE is a great browser these days, hate for it is just left over from people who haven't tried it lately.

Firefox is still dog slow for me in my experience.

Chrome all the way for me now. Firefox is slow and laggy even with no add-ons. Not sure how my wife still stands it. IE9 isn't bad but the lack of the superb add-ons for Chrome and Firefox stop me from even thinking about going back.

I couldn't agree more. Chrome has flash built in and that means no viruses or malware from fake flash player updates. I use Firefox to store all my bookmarks. The only place I use Internet Exploder is at the College I go to becuase their stupid enough to make it the default browser, which means there just asking for problem. Other than that I have no issues with Chrome that weren't caused by something else. I've used Lynx, but not much because its so old and not supported very well. When I use Linux I use Firefox or Seamonkey.

Chrome is my favorite, firefox is #2, IE is last by a long shot, they always seem to be behind. Now all we need is a true rival to windows and us consumers will be all the better off.

I couldn't agree more. Chrome has flash built in and that means no viruses or malware from fake flash player updates. I use Firefox to store all my bookmarks. The only place I use Internet Exploder is at the College I go to becuase their stupid enough to make it the default browser, which means there just asking for problem. Other than that I have no issues with Chrome that weren't caused by something else. I've used Lynx, but not much because its so old and not supported very well. When I use Linux I use Firefox or Seamonkey.

Back