Congressional Reps Question Feds Over Domain Seizures

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Domain seizures are drawing the attention of Congressional members, questioning The Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice combined actions. The inquiry follows the disclosure that a seized and censored website’s case had been dropped due to incorrect information from RIAA and MPAA

The letter raises the fact that Dajaz1 is not an isolated case. As we've pointed out in the past, we're aware of at least a few other domains that were seized, and whose owners had challenged the seizures. And yet, well over a year later, there appeared to be no evidence of either a return of those domains or a forfeiture process started.

I'm shocked, RIAA/MPAA run departments on a power trip? Who would have thunk it.

These assholes will pander to anyone to get elected, lol.[/QUOTE

We'll, they better be pandering to me if I'm going to vote them as my congressional representative. Why would I vote for someone pandering to voters from two states over?

So...DOJ, DHS and ICE can spend all thie time shutting down websites at the beconning call of the RIAA yet they won't deport illegal aliens who committed felonies, when held at the police stations and jails?

Yep. Obama sure is running a tight ship.

And here I thought the people made it abundantly clear that SOPA/etc was not welcome in our laws. Yet, apparently the DOJ doesn't give a damn.

No surprise, Obama packed the Department of Justice with RIAA lawyers.

And here I thought the people made it abundantly clear that SOPA/etc was not welcome in our laws. Yet, apparently the DOJ doesn't give a damn.

Which is why we seize domains as opposed to otherwise blocking websites. If there were a firewall there would be an uproar. Not to mention the fact the MPAA, RIAA, and our government are just as intent on stopping the activity in other countries.

This is the way that congress 'tells' the RIAA/MPAA (or anyone else for that matter) that their congressional 'donations' are insufficent and it's time to up the payola or else...

Once the campaign donations are in their hands, the inquiry will end. It's just a fundraising drive, that's all.

The RIAA/MPAA shouldn't even be involved,in any way,in the operations of a government agency. The fact that they have influenced the actions of those agencies shows how corrupted our government has become. It's no longer government by the people,but government by the corporation.

The RIAA/MPAA shouldn't even be involved,in any way,in the operations of a government agency. The fact that they have influenced the actions of those agencies shows how corrupted our government has become. It's no longer government by the people,but government by the corporation.

Exactly.
There's absolutely no reason why the government should waste even a single penny on whatever the RIAA/MPAA wants to do with those copyrigth bullshit.

It's always struck me as odd that the FBI plasters warnings all over DVD's, yet the RIAA/MPAA are always involved in civil litigation against the alleged copyright violators. If it's a criminal matter, should it not be taken to criminal court and prosecuted under criminal law? Ahh, but they don't want to do that. It's harder to extort money when a proper criminal defense is available to a defendant.

Hence the domain seizures. Still, domain seizures constitute a constitutional violation of due process. ICE/DHS have no business being involved in what the RIAA/MPAA have treated as a civil matter to date. There needs to be a ruling by a Federal judge as to whether this should be considered a criminal or civil matter. If it's a criminal matter it needs to be governed under the US criminal code. If it's a civil matter, then ICE/DHS have no jurisdiction and the domain seizures have to stop.

I hope these Representatives are serious about this and it's not just a case of election-year rhetoric.

Patriot Act.... There is no due process and congress can't do a dam thing about it and they know it. Congress knows this, they just need to go through the motions and try, as most people don't yet understand the power of the patriot act.

"The USA PATRIOT Act (commonly known as the Patriot Act) is an Act of the U.S. Congress that was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 26, 2001. The title of the act is a ten letter backronym (USA PATRIOT) that stands for Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate Tools Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001.[1]
The act, as a response to the terrorist attacks of September 11th, significantly reduced restrictions in law enforcement agencies' gathering of intelligence within the United States; expanded the Secretary of the Treasury’s authority to regulate financial transactions, particularly those involving foreign individuals and entities; and broadened the discretion of law enforcement and immigration authorities in detaining and deporting immigrants suspected of terrorism-related acts. The act also expanded the definition of terrorism to include domestic terrorism, thus enlarging the number of activities to which the USA PATRIOT Act’s expanded law enforcement powers can be applied.
On May 26, 2011, President Barack Obama used an Autopen to sign a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act while he was in France:[2] roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the "library records provision"), and conducting surveillance of "lone wolves" — individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups.[3] Republican leaders questioned if the use of the Autopen met the constitutional requirements for signing a bill into law."

Governments are nothing but gangs of criminal thieves. The sooner people realize that, the better off we will be.

This is the way that congress 'tells' the RIAA/MPAA (or anyone else for that matter) that their congressional 'donations' are insufficent and it's time to up the payola or else...

Once the campaign donations are in their hands, the inquiry will end. It's just a fundraising drive, that's all.
corporatesponsors.jpg

This is ugly stuff.
The questioning by Congressional whoever is just for show.

Back