World of Warcraft Cut Off in Iran Due to U.S. Sanctions

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Some bad news for Iranian gamers. Their access to Battle.net has been blocked by Activision Blizzard to comply with US sanctions and trade restrictions. Iran has been cutting access to the Internet recently and it was widely thought the outage was due to an internal block. Unfortunately for the Iranian gamers, access was cut off at the source.

Some speculated that the Iranian government had banned Battle.net, while others hoped it was just a server glitch. Over the weekend, however, Blizzard announced the move to shut down access to the franchise in Iran to comply with U.S. laws.

Last edited:
Typical arrogant government.

As usual, innocent people get caught in the squabbling between two dictators (Mssrs. Obama and Ahmadinejad).

Iran makes new game called, World of Irancraft. With new classes like, Ghazi, Magi, and Jihad.

Eh, the government should not have ordered game services to shut down in Iran. This service is directly provided to the citizens and has nothing whatsoever to do with their government.

On the other hand, WoW gamers would get totally pissed and get out of their house and raid Ahmadinejad's palace. I hope they're geared up for it.

Well, that will mean a lot of Iranian WoW will either have to go cold turkey, or run a revolution in their country.

Uhhh... You know, that might actually happen, now that I think of it.

He has proclaimed that he can murder any American citizen because he, in his supreme wisdom, deems them to be a "threat to national security". Sounds like a dictator to me.

That's funny, I would have thought that would be mentioned somewhere, anywhere.

Eh, the government should not have ordered game services to shut down in Iran. This service is directly provided to the citizens and has nothing whatsoever to do with their government.

On the other hand, WoW gamers would get totally pissed and get out of their house and raid Ahmadinejad's palace. I hope they're geared up for it.

The premise of sanctions is so that the actions of the state cannot be as easily hidden from the people and to encourage the people to seek change in their government.

As usual, innocent people get caught in the squabbling between two dictators (Mssrs. Obama and Ahmadinejad).

See, now this is why I don't like getting in debates with you. Obama a dictator? Keep fighting the power, brother. :rolleyes:

Here's a little hint: the sanction is imposed by the United Nations by dictator Ban Ki-moon. (Yeah, I made a funny here).

haha you are funny. Obama fixes his own election correct? He also banned twitter and facebook during elections right? What a retarded statement.

The premise of sanctions is so that the actions of the state cannot be as easily hidden from the people and to encourage the people to seek change in their government.

Right, thus my "on the other hand".

I wonder what level their healers are and whether they're spec for AOE healing.

My post above was supposed to quote:
Originally Posted by damicatz
"He has proclaimed that he can murder any American citizen because he, in his supreme wisdom, deems them to be a "threat to national security". Sounds like a dictator to me."

And, apparently I can't edit my own post??

This is not a political debate, save it for the Soapbox. All political post forward get deleted, so don't waste your time and effort.

And why did it take Blizzard so long to comply?

This is probably the second one, meant to toughen the first. The original sanction went in effect I believe at the end of June or the beginning of July. The second one will also include sanctioning Iran against access to Chinese banks and I believe oil trade (China and Russia are against the sanction).

Then there's that whole awkward individual mandate thing..

Kind of ironic how the individual mandate was a Republican idea, and they said they wouldn't consider a health care bill without it... But once it was law, they suddenly hated it.

As for the article, it was probably something Blizzard was technically supposed to be doing for a while now, but just now implemented.

If that happens, I hope someone videotapes it. Becuase if those people are at all like the people who play WoW in the US, at least one of them will be wearing fan made Lich king armor.

How does prohibiting common citizens from gaming interfere with Iran's nuclear weapons program? I guess because there's no real evidence of such a program, the only point is harassing Iran, which is where prohibiting gaming comes in.

Nothing like having an army of Iranian hackers PO'd at there govt to solve our problems for us.

How does prohibiting common citizens from gaming interfere with Iran's nuclear weapons program? I guess because there's no real evidence of such a program, the only point is harassing Iran, which is where prohibiting gaming comes in.

As Zangmonkey explained, targeting sanctions against citizens might get them to demand changes or act against their own government.

I don't think denying access to Battle.net is actually punishment, YOU KIDS GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!

As Zangmonkey explained, targeting sanctions against citizens might get them to demand changes or act against their own government.

Or their own government's propaganda could make use of this to make them all hate us.

Always a chance of backfire when you're working with people that are living in a media bubble.

Or their own government's propaganda could make use of this to make them all hate us.

Always a chance of backfire when you're working with people that are living in a media bubble.

Definitely. It'll be interesting to watch. Maybe Mousavi will get involved again and call on his people to rise up against Ahmadinejad again. It wouldn't be the first time.

In before Blizzard forces the United Nations to reimburse it's paying Iranian customers...

Watch a lot of Fox News do ya?

You man as opposed to CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, et al. should I go on? Whenever I see a statement like this I laugh at people like you. How one news network gets people like you to get their panties in a bunch is a tract in psychosis. Plus it just makes people like sound simple minded, ignorant, and just downright retarded.

in before the 'umadbro' 'come at me bro' and 'please qq more' comments ensue. :D

Thunderbolt! Thunderbolt!

I think a lot of you are missing the point. These sanctions are not about blizzard specifically. Blizzard is probably .0001% of what is effected. Its all trade/goods from the US are ban from IRAN which happens to include blizzards goods.

This should piss off the iranian people and force a change of their government. Sanctions is one of the tools we use to keep other countries "in line"

Back