AMD Plucks New Graphics Executive from Intel

Considering Intel's track record for graphics, this may not be such a good idea.

Err...would have been better off with the architect from nVidia, Intel is not known for cutting edge GPU's, possibly someone who worked in 3Dfx would have been a better move (if nVidia don't have them locked away somewhere?).

While I admit the wording could be a bit more clear, what the title says (and the linked article confirms) is that AMD poached a researcher from Intel and put him in charge of Graphics at AMD - not that AMD got the Intel Graphics Executive.

Intel may not be the fastest overall, but their very speedy progress in the last few years shows they are on to something.

Looks like a very good move by AMD!

Since on the low end & integrated graphics (read: high volume) Intel is their competitor, not nvidia, and I am sure Mr. Gustafson is well regarded within the industry.

Having a much reduced R&D budget will be interesting for him I'm sure...

Given the credentials of the new exec this might indicate they want to beef up their penetration in the parallel computing market maybe?

well they might have hired him to help on the future of graphics which is ray tracing. That requires lot of parallelism.

Wonder if it is at all having to do with the future Opterons and their rumored (last I heard, been on vaca) usage of the GPU segment (Compute) for FPU operations. The CPUs will run in SMP fine, but I suspect the GPU cores have a lot of fat cut out and running CFX in software would take up unnecessary cycles. Perhaps he'll be helping out somehow in that regard?

Intel may not be the fastest overall, but their very speedy progress in the last few years shows they are on to something.

Looks like a very good move by AMD!

Since on the low end & integrated graphics (read: high volume) Intel is their competitor, not nvidia, and I am sure Mr. Gustafson is well regarded within the industry.

Having a much reduced R&D budget will be interesting for him I'm sure...

That's what I was thinking. For the past few years Intel gained a lot of ground with their integrated graphics. They have nothing to compete with high end graphic cards, but their low end graphics are pretty good against AMD's.

and it might bring better driver/software from AMD for their current graphic cards.

they plucked the wrong guy.

they should have taken a guy from the cpu department to help speed up the dog slow amd chips.

AMD has openly said it does not want to compete in that area, CPUs, the only thing they will compete with will be any product with a graphic component, APU/GPU

AMD has openly said it does not want to compete in that area, CPUs, the only thing they will compete with will be any product with a graphic component, APU/GPU

that's a copout, only because they are presently incapable of competing.

intel's chips are cpu/gpu hybrids just as amd's are.

maybe they took intel's graphics guy because they saw how intel was gaining on the only advantage amd had left, and wanted to do whatever it took to keep intel behind on that front.:cool:

If you read the article the guy wasn't in the graphics department at intel, he was a lead research engineer. He is now AMD's graphics executive.

If you're into graphics, working for intel should be your last choice for obvious reasons.

The same processor from 3 years ago works just fine today. Heck, my Athlon 64 X2 4400+ is 5+ years old and still kick major ass.

That said, why should AMD try to compete at something that is not that huge anymore? Most people just want their desktop to keep going and invest money on smartphones/tablets/notebooks. They want their desktop to be there when they want comfort, but their money is on mobility. And because of that most software run just fine on almost anything, including Windows.

The day of powerful processors for consumer use is gone. Now it's all about cost vs. energy consumption, mainly because of mobile use and noise generation. AMD is doing the right thing, like it or not.

That's what I was thinking. For the past few years Intel gained a lot of ground with their integrated graphics. They have nothing to compete with high end graphic cards, but their low end graphics are pretty good against AMD's.

Actually, after reading done posts here, this might even be an even better move by AMD if this person is involved with developing parallel processes. Imagine massively parallel server APUs... I like where this might be going...

they should have taken a guy from the cpu department to help speed up the dog slow amd chips.

Didn't they do that already with some guy who quit working for Apple and decided to go work for AMD again. Something about him being really good cause he make the Athlon processor superior to the Pentium 3 years ago, or something.

One things for sure is that AMD is hiring talent, and that's the best thing they could ever do at this point. Bulldozer was bullshit.

AMD said it's not going to be trying to compete for the performance crown in the CPU arena, Intel is an R&D juggernaut with relatively limitless resources, access to patents and technology that they keep hidden for themselves. Hard to compete with them.

On the GPU front it is undeniable that they have put out solid products for years.

I've been reading people from the other (ATI/nVidia) camp whine that the other guys' drivers are awful for a decade. Yet not once have I had a real compatibility error caused by VGA drivers. The only truth to the argument is alternative drivers (Linux for example) don't get much development done. But other than that it's just the same kind of people that can't be bothered to read the buttons on your remote then whine about how it's oh so complicated and Dish/DirectTV/Comcast/whatever is so much easier to use. It's the same thing, the buttons are in different spots. Shut up.

It's about time that AMD started replacing all the executives who "left". :p

This is probably a big win for AMD, but I wonder why he left Intel.

They should take a page from Intel's P4 design so they can add features to the new AMD chips... like space heating.

AMD said it's not going to be trying to compete for the performance crown in the CPU arena, Intel is an R&D juggernaut with relatively limitless resources, access to patents and technology that they keep hidden for themselves. Hard to compete with them.

On the GPU front it is undeniable that they have put out solid products for years.

The problem is Intel is making real progress with their GPU's as well. There isn't anything to compete with mid or high end graphic cards, but it's a damn good low end graphics card. You won't be angry to find someone with Intel graphics in their system.

What about Larrabee? You think Intel threw it in the corner and took a shit on it, then forgot about it? I think it's called Xeon Phi, but it hasn't really gone away. So if Intel matches them in mid range graphics card, what then? Their CPU performance must be fixed, first and foremost.

It's about time that AMD started replacing all the executives who "left". :p

This is probably a big win for AMD, but I wonder why he left Intel.

The same reason everyone switches to a new company.. more money. haha

Back