Confessions from the Most Corrupt Apple Store in America

HardOCP News

[H] News
Confessions from the most corrupt Apple store in America? It's not as bad as you think. It's worse. :eek:

"The saying goes: Don't f*ck with the person that serves your food," a former Apple Genius tells me over IM. "Don't f*ck with the person who repairs your computer." He—we'll call him Ronald—spent six years as a member of Apple's Genius squad in a busy Southwestern store. It was a model store: shiny as the best of them, teeming, making money. But in back rooms and in plain sight, the employees ran wild: giving away computers, stealing phones, drunkenly destroying customer property. Ronald saw (and did) it all.

It's not just Apple stores. Just about any store has employee's that act like drunk morons. Though Apple stands out because there's literally a waiting list to work for them. So when you do work for Apple, you get paid very little, and you'll abuse what you have.

I think this just shows that in general people have zero respect for other peoples property. Sad

Why can't I work at a call center that drinks whiskey and does coke all night? That's why there's a waiting list.

It's not just Apple stores. Just about any store has employee's that act like drunk morons. Though Apple stands out because there's literally a waiting list to work for them. So when you do work for Apple, you get paid very little, and you'll abuse what you have.

At Fry's you had to be A+ qualified to work at the service desk (it helps, but is no good over actual experience, and I got mine a year before I worked there), and we always treated the customers system with respect (at least our store did, we had some ex- motherboard repair guys as staff members), probably the only reason I recommend Fry's and that particular store to anyone I don't want to deal with (I don't normally deal with other people crap after I spent eight hours dealing with office muppets issues).

yup, when I was at the apple store a few weeks ago, I had to get my iPhone 4 replaced. They didn't offer to master wipe my phone before leaving. I had to request it. And the phone was set to "unlocked" when I ran the wipe.

Shenanigans.... evil shenanigans.

Pretty much the same story in all computer retail shops, fast food places, and just about everywhere else.

Their source doesn't sound all that credible... does shit like that happen? Of course, but I'm not sure that I 100% believe their sources. At least the story made them seem like intoxicated, unemployed jerkoffs.

Their source doesn't sound all that credible... does shit like that happen? Of course, but I'm not sure that I 100% believe their sources. At least the story made them seem like intoxicated, unemployed jerkoffs.

I don't doubt it one bit. The fabric of our society is so stained with shit, nothing surprises me anymore. Disrespectful pieces of trash like this make me sick, and it's prevalent everywhere you go. We've diminished the value of hard work and morals and told our kids they are all special flowers for years, and now we're reaping what we've sewn.

I don't doubt it one bit. The fabric of our society is so stained with shit, nothing surprises me anymore. Disrespectful pieces of trash like this make me sick, and it's prevalent everywhere you go. We've diminished the value of hard work and morals and told our kids they are all special flowers for years, and now we're reaping what we've sewn.

HOW did this happen?
Which linch pin snapped and caused our downfall?

The Geek Squad I worked at was nothing like this at all. I have heard a lot of bad things, but I never saw any of them while I was there. Now, well... might be a different story now.

In this industry, when you're working with other peoples data, a code of ethics should be followed. I adhere to my own, and take it very seriously. That data is not mine. I have no right to it. I only look if it's required or requested by the customer. I treat the hardware like it was my own. When I'm ready to give it back to the customer (even if all I did was a spyware scan), I clean it up a bit. Wipe the screen, clean the keyboard and case... People notice. Even if they don't, I have the pride in my work.

Some people just don't have any pride in their work and that's all it is: work. It's not a career to them.

So tell me, how much does Apple pay ?

respect should go both ways.

I have worked jobs that needed me and jobs that I need.

Your going to honour your job or rebel for a new.

From what I understand, Geniuses make around $18/hr to start, depending on the area. It's not disgustingly low, but it's not particularly high, either.

Sounds like the Geek Squad. :D

Actually, it sounds like a LOT of places...just so happens today's story is about an Apple store.

To be honest, you hardly hear this type of story about Apple compared to the other places and certainly not this big of a story (whole store?)

I am having a really hard time believing that Apple's inventory control system is/was as bad as this person is recalling. Most retail locations keep very tight control of inventory for these reasons.

What do you expect from a bunch of arrogant iBots?

What do I expect?! Thick rimmed glasses, beret, beard, smug attitude, very little knowledge of actual product?

What do I get? Well..... Same as expected plus some booze.

I really don't think this is the norm.
If the managers are decent people the store will be held to a higher standard.

If the manager is a self serving back stabbing prick then everything falls apart. Sounds like that is what happened here.

This is nonsense. Part of the reason the idea of chivalry included walking a woman home was because roads were unsafe. Just going down a public road could get you raped/robbed/murdered. Our society is relatively safe. Crime is lower, murder is down, people don't rape nearly as much. In general, people without rules don't behave themselves. We have decent rules and a good balance of enforcement, aside from the number of incarcerations.

"Hard work and morals" sounds like a bunch of smoke people try to blow up your ass when they can't address the nuances of societal change and social life in general. If you want to romanticize the past, make it about your personal life, but things certainly weren't better for everyone - nor do we want a regressive society where women have few rights and were constantly harassed in the workplace.

This is nonsense. Part of the reason the idea of chivalry included walking a woman home was because roads were unsafe. Just going down a public road could get you raped/robbed/murdered. Our society is relatively safe. Crime is lower, murder is down, people don't rape nearly as much. In general, people without rules don't behave themselves. We have decent rules and a good balance of enforcement, aside from the number of incarcerations.

"Hard work and morals" sounds like a bunch of smoke people try to blow up your ass when they can't address the nuances of societal change and social life in general. If you want to romanticize the past, make it about your personal life, but things certainly weren't better for everyone - nor do we want a regressive society where women have few rights and were constantly harassed in the workplace.

Hmmm, you obviously don't get out much do ya pal?

You wouldn't believe what we got away with at one of the Earthlink call centers. I'd say the OP was entirely credible.

You wouldn't believe what we got away with at one of the Earthlink call centers. I'd say the OP was entirely credible.

Had quite a few friends who worked for Earthlink Sacramento.

I've heard some crazy stories, no wonder they outsourced all your jobs :p

HOW did this happen?
Which linch pin snapped and caused our downfall?

It's a decades wide systematic and incremental breakdown in morals and values being substituted with an ever downward degradation of morals and values. They keep getting diluted ever lower. There is no one specific instance where this happened. However, if I was forced to point to an actual event that could summate this process as a catalyst for what we are dealing with today, I'd have to lay my money down on the assassination of Kennedy. Once people had seen, in a modern enough society, that even their top leader was no longer invulnerable to such acts or behavior, that crack in the armor/veneer became filled with the beginnings of that systematic breakdown.

Can it be repaired? Of course, but you have an utter mountain of political correctness that you will have to dig through and negate in order or to even begin to reestablish some semblence of a value system a majority of people can sign on to and promote and establish that uplifts us all and eradicates or at least curtails much of this behavior. It's sad really that this story is just a symptom of an even larger problem, which is a total and utter lack of self respect, dignity, honor, not just as individuals, but as a group of people who've compromised themselves for minimal gain with minimal effort.

Gotta love all the theft and abusing the system that went yet still complains about their bonuses going away... gee I wonder why. Having the manager driving a new car one day hardly is the smoking gun that says your bonuses turned into his.

Morals and values are a collective set of behaviors a society agrees to that they will follow culturally and socially. The terms of hard work and morals is meant to encompass a value system by which these things will hopefully convey the measure of ones personal reflection and attitudes not only within themselves, but what they hope their fellow citizens will also aspire to. And in doing so makes their society better for it. There is no need to shame the process by denouncing it. If you have a better system by which you should think people should behave as individuals or as a collective, I'd love to hear it.

Societal evolution comes about when changes and stressors require that a society face a set of issues or problems that they believe need to be rectified. There are numerous examples of this, but in almost all cases those changes came about because there was a need to change, not a want to change.

Had quite a few friends who worked for Earthlink Sacramento.

I've heard some crazy stories, no wonder they outsourced all your jobs :p

Really? Small world. I was in the Federal building -> Natomas -> Roseville. One of the last out of the building. The worst part? Having the call center director have a body guard near by when they gave us the news.

prime entertainment all in one.

on one side of the ring, you have douchebag customers, on the other, you have douchebag 'geniuses'.

fight!

I hate Apple so much less now.

Thankfully there's none of their stores anywhere around here.

Mac duties have been handled by the same place in town
since the 1980's. They're techs first, Apple fanboys 2nd. Not
this kind of crap.

I hate Apple, but I have respect for that place, they earned their stripes
back when having an Apple meant you loved men.

Most of this either sounds exaggerated or outright made up. There might be a kernel of truth to some of it, but I seriously doubt Apple stores are as shady as this guy is making them out to be.

I blame women, women ruin everything.

But in all seriousness if you had a trash college degree, zero prospects, and short on cash; what would you be doing at your crappy retail job?

People here act like this kind of corruption doesn't go on at all levels! How many CEO's are outright criminals? How many guys at YOUR work do you know that have money making schemes going on? Who here hasn't "abused" a perk of your job?

This stuff goes on at all levels and frankly in this day and age the people who do it (and don't get caught) are incredibly successful.

How many icons of the past two decades of technology got their start "stealing" an idea?

Back