Best Buy Names New CEO

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's the first thing you should do when the co-founder (and largest shareholder) of your company announces he wants to take it back? If you are Best Buy, the answer is....hire a new CEO. :confused:

Best Buy has appointed a new CEO, Hubert Joly, to lead the beleaguered electronics retailer. Interim CEO Mike Mikan, who has led Best Buy since former chief executive Brian Dunn resigned following an inappropriate relationship with a female employee, will continue to serve on the board.

I'm gonna sing the doom song now!

Doom, da-doom doom dooooooommm, doomy doom dooooooommmm....

Well, Best Buy is fucked.

Maybe this Black Friday will have some good closeouts.

Fry's and Microcenter need to team up and buy them out. Close half the stores and split the rest between them. Then maybe just maybe I'd be within 100 miles of a Fry's or Microcenter to get some tasty CPU deals.

Fry's and Microcenter need to team up and buy them out. Close half the stores and split the rest between them. Then maybe just maybe I'd be within 100 miles of a Fry's or Microcenter to get some tasty CPU deals.

Except Best Buy is also an appliance store - in fact, it's mostly an appliance store. Not sure why Micro Center and Fry's would want an appliance store. I think Sears probably match Best Buy's profile more than Micro Center and Fry's, minus the bedding, clothes and other department store merchandises Sears carry.

Except Best Buy is also an appliance store - in fact, it's mostly an appliance store. Not sure why Micro Center and Fry's would want an appliance store. I think Sears probably match Best Buy's profile more than Micro Center and Fry's, minus the bedding, clothes and other department store merchandises Sears carry.

Best Buy is hardly *mostly* an appliance store. There isn't an appliance anywhere on the main bestbuy.com page right now and unless you click products and notice the 1 out of 13 drop down categories you'd be hard pressed to see that they sell them at all.

Appliance? As in refrigerators, microwaves, washer/dryers, etc? What makes them so special that Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart can't do?

Best Buy is hardly *mostly* an appliance store. There isn't an appliance anywhere on the main bestbuy.com page right now and unless you click products and notice the 1 out of 13 drop down categories you'd be hard pressed to see that they sell them at all.

yeah definitely. they have a small area in my best buy for appliances, but 90%+ of the store is electronics.

Appliance? As in refrigerators, microwaves, washer/dryers, etc? What makes them so special that Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart can't do?

You missed my point. My point was that Best Buy hardly fit Fry's and Micro Center's profile, whereas some forum users said that Micro Center and Fry's should buy Best Buy. Why would Fry's and Micro Center want to buy an appliance store?

And yes I'm aware they sell electronics like televisions and receivers, but they also deal in washer and dryer and refrigerators and the likes. Not something sold in Fry's or Micro Center.

You missed my point. My point was that Best Buy hardly fit Fry's and Micro Center's profile, whereas some forum users said that Micro Center and Fry's should buy Best Buy. Why would Fry's and Micro Center want to buy an appliance store?

And yes I'm aware they sell electronics like televisions and receivers, but they also deal in washer and dryer and refrigerators and the likes. Not something sold in Fry's or Micro Center.

Again best buy is not an appliance store. They are a consumer electronics retailer. Do they happen to also sell some appliances? Yes. They also sell soda and candy. Does that make them a candy store?

BB was originally a music store. Sure they sell appliances but I've never bought any from the store. I typically have gone there to buy media, music, or electronics. They are handy to go to when i'm working on a person's old computer that needs a ram upgrade and want it back asap. Or if i need parts quick for my own doings.

I second the Microcenter's CPU deals. I got my i7 930 a few years ago for 200 bux. It was worth the 2hr round trip for that deal. KC Microcenter FTW! Now if only we could get a IKEA!

Again best buy is not an appliance store. They are a consumer electronics retailer. Do they happen to also sell some appliances? Yes. They also sell soda and candy. Does that make them a candy store?

I don't know why anyone would buy an appliance from Best Buy to begin with. Nobody expects retail salesmen to be all-knowing, but the ones at BB are among the most clueless I've ever met.

BTW, I love how this article completely ignores every competitor other than Amazon, as if BB is right on the cusp of being competitive with the entire rest of the field.

Now that Amazon has decided to screw over PA customers by collecting sales tax, I wish more than ever that Micro Center was closer than 2 hours away.

dunno why that would stop them... fry's did the exact same thing with incredible universe and it was pretty much the exact same thing as a best buy

BB was originally a music store. Sure they sell appliances but I've never bought any from the store. I typically have gone there to buy media, music, or electronics. They are handy to go to when i'm working on a person's old computer that needs a ram upgrade and want it back asap. Or if i need parts quick for my own doings.

I second the Microcenter's CPU deals. I got my i7 930 a few years ago for 200 bux. It was worth the 2hr round trip for that deal. KC Microcenter FTW! Now if only we could get a IKEA!

+1 for an IKEA store in KC.

Microcenter and Fry's would only be interested in a very small portion of what Best Buy has to offer and it doesnt seem like their business model has any interest in the other 75% of what BB has to offer. That said I wouldnt lose sleep if they bought them out and closed most of the BB stores or just used their retail space

+1 for an IKEA store in KC.

Microcenter and Fry's would only be interested in a very small portion of what Best Buy has to offer and it doesnt seem like their business model has any interest in the other 75% of what BB has to offer. That said I wouldnt lose sleep if they bought them out and closed most of the BB stores or just used their retail space

Emphasis added for truth.

I don't know about Micro Center, but Fry's does indeed sell appliances, including refrigerators.

I don't know about Micro Center, but Fry's does indeed sell appliances, including refrigerators.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I've always thought Fry's was similar to Micro Center. I've been to Micro Center a million times, but never Fry's.

Back