Hackers Backdoor the Human Brain

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Attention all of you Tin-Foil Hat Brigaders. Now you have a good reason to don your hats proudly and loudly claim “I told you so”. Researchers at the Usenix Security conference have demonstrated the ability to hack your brain pan, extracting pertinent information through the use of inexpensive commercial equipment and a custom designed computer program. I can haz brain? :D

To extract this information, the researchers rely on what’s known as the P300 response — a very specific brainwave pattern that occurs when you recognize something that is meaningful

Only 10% to 40% success rate at 'finding useful information' given a pool of 28 participants who "who were cooperative and didn’t know that they were being brain-hacked"?

Seems rather like this is a useless development - you get better results out of existing lie detector testing (although not much better, which is why it is inadmissible in court).

Just like the zombies who are looking for lunch, brain hackers will be very disappointed when they try that same stuff on my head.

Anybody else thing one of those brainwave readers would pair up well with the Oculus Rift VR headset?

Pop on the headset, sit back, and do some hands-free gaming. Full freedom of motion via a neural interface with your entire field of vision filled with game world...

is The Matrix ready yet? >_>

Told you so... Brb lead lining my brain.

I'd recommend tin. They say it's better for you than lead and I should know because I've eaten a lot of paint chips.

Anybody else thing one of those brainwave readers would pair up well with the Oculus Rift VR headset?

Pop on the headset, sit back, and do some hands-free gaming. Full freedom of motion via a neural interface with your entire field of vision filled with game world...

is The Matrix ready yet? >_>

That would be a kinda neat combination. You could probably add a second super-glue and cardboard box that would hang from the back of the unit to scan your brain and send signals in a secondary USB cable. Some packing tape around the box might be a good idea though to deal with people that have sweaty neck fat.

Oh boy! Exciting new tech that could some day be on par with modern polygraph machines, and it'll be just about as useful too. Stop the flipping presses!

Works for me, maybe it'll help me find that thing that I lost but I can't remember what it was that I lost but I need to find it!

Only 10% to 40% success rate at 'finding useful information' given a pool of 28 participants who "who were cooperative and didn’t know that they were being brain-hacked"?

Seems rather like this is a useless development - you get better results out of existing lie detector testing (although not much better, which is why it is inadmissible in court).

It will get more accurate, it's just a matter of time.

Dolphins have been backdooring brains for many millenia:

788203562_24e119e7e6.jpg

Other techniques of measuring physiological response probably work just as well, or better. And, probably a little training would make this easy to defeat. Just think of something very familiar every time the flash an image. Or, keep a tack in your shoe.

Looks like the Zombie Apocalypse came, but just a little differently than we expected !

Back