HGST Keynotes the Flash Memory Summit 2012

HardOCP News

[H] News
HGST (formerly Hitachi Global Storage Technologies and now a Western Digital company) today announced that it is participating in the Flash Memory Summit 2012. As a platinum sponsor, HGST will discuss and highlight next-generation storage ecosystems, technologies and trends for cloud and enterprise IT infrastructures.

HGST delivers the broadest hard disk drive (HDD) and solid state drive (SSD) portfolio for tiered storage needs in cloud and enterprise IT datacenters. Among HGST’s most forward-thinking customers are the largest big data, internet search, social networking, online retail and banking companies that are designing vast, next-generation architectures to support the pervasive and growing use of social networks, mobile applications, web TV, and online video services.

Western Digital bought them. I don't even see why they insist on operating them as subsidiary or even a SBU for that matter. It's not like there's any unique business functions. They're both mass storage manufacturers and there's no illusion that there's any brand separation at this point.

Western Digital must have been the subject of a hostile takeover by zombies or 'NSYNC fans since they're the only ones who could be that clueless.

Western Digital bought them. I don't even see why they insist on operating them as subsidiary or even a SBU for that matter. It's not like there's any unique business functions. They're both mass storage manufacturers and there's no illusion that there's any brand separation at this point.

Western Digital must have been the subject of a hostile takeover by zombies or 'NSYNC fans since they're the only ones who could be that clueless.

Most countries object when a foreign company comes in, buys a company, takes any useful IP, then guts it or shuts it down completely.

I think WD would like to still sell in Japan unmolested by government retaliation. So any changes to HGST will likely be slow, at least at first.

Most countries object when a foreign company comes in, buys a company, takes any useful IP, then guts it or shuts it down completely.

I think WD would like to still sell in Japan unmolested by government retaliation. So any changes to HGST will likely be slow, at least at first.

Leave it to Japan to get offended by meaningless stuff like that... I like your theory though. It's totally possible that's the case, but I think the one about zombies or 'NSYNC is a lot more likely the case. I've made up a lot of knowledge about these matters that I posted on a blog so I have a website to cite when I need to add credibility so that pretty much makes me a subject matter expert on the inner workings of Western Digital.

It was actually China that insisted on HGST being run as a separate company for two years before it would OK the purchase by WD. Japan had no real objections to the sale.

Back