Xbox 360 Tops Console Sales Charts Once Again in July

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Xbox 360 may be replaced in 18 months by the new version 720 (or whatever the final name will be) but it certainly isn’t slowing down sales of the 360 one bit. Xbox 360 has topped the sales charts for the past 19 straight months and will probably continue all the way through the 2012 Christmas season.

Microsoft is going to have a pretty big holiday season too, with the highly-anticipated Halo 4 hitting shelves in November. It’s also expecting games like Forza Horizon and Dance Central 3 to make strong showings this holiday season, so it looks like the Xbox 360 might remain the top-selling console for months to come

I think it's because people are tired of their PS3 dying every year and a half. Or at least that's what happenned to mine.

Anyone want an original 30GB PS3 that overheats within 2 minutes of being on?

powerful console, comparing to ps3 and wii , but not everybody know about that

I wonder why Sony even bothers trying to compete. Maybe Microsoft is paying for the development of the console for Sony so they stay in the market just so there's enough other consoles around to keep Microsoft from having to deal with litigation over being a monopoly. They pretty much did it with Apple in the late 1990's...paying them a bunch of pity money to keep them alive as a niche player in the PC/laptop market (which messed them up on the mobile market, but they at least remain a 1% community in desktops and laptops).

Most of the PS3 sales early on were to get a cheap Blu-Ray player. Now stand-alone players are less expensive so its no surprise that buyers looking for a way to play movies are shifting back to cheaper devices and ignoring the PS3. The honeymoon with the Wii is over and owners are giving their consoles away now that they've figured out how silly they are so there's a saturated market with easily found second-hand units.

It amazes me how well the 369 with all the problems it had at launch... Hell that's why I went with the ps3... Until halo 3 came out. Then after my third one rrod I just went back and used my ps3.

I think this has more to do with college kids getting ready for school. Microsoft is running the "Buy a PC, Get an Xbox" deal again this year. I have no doubt that this deal gives them a healthy boost in 360 sales.

o come on people just love throwing money away on a wack console. when will people learn pc has been and will always be THE FUTURE :)

No no no

It's because so many 360 consoles get the red ring of death, instead of waiting for Microsoft to replace the console, people just buy a new one.

I know of at least 5 people who have more than one 360 in there house, because the first one got the RROD and instead of waiting for it to get replaced, they bought a new one.

Don't they have a three year warranty?

Yeah, but from what I can gather Microsoft will still replace/fix the system if it gets a RROD even after it's warranty has expired. Kudos to Microsoft for that.

I think it's because people are tired of their PS3 dying every year and a half. Or at least that's what happenned to mine.

Yours hasn't "died", and it's a launch model... Have you tried cleaning it?

I wonder why Sony even bothers trying to compete. Maybe Microsoft is paying for the development of the console for Sony so they stay in the market just so there's enough other consoles around to keep Microsoft from having to deal with litigation over being a monopoly. They pretty much did it with Apple in the late 1990's...paying them a bunch of pity money to keep them alive as a niche player in the PC/laptop market (which messed them up on the mobile market, but they at least remain a 1% community in desktops and laptops).

This "tops sales" is in the US only. Everywhere else it's a very different story with the xbox being places 3rd in total sales, (it's 2nd everywhere else, even though it was released first by a year). Several chain stores in Japan, for example, no longer carry xbox titles at all. :D

This "tops sales" is in the US only. Everywhere else it's a very different story with the xbox being places 3rd in total sales, (it's 2nd everywhere else, even though it was released first by a year). Several chain stores in Japan, for example, no longer carry xbox titles at all. :D

I'm not worried about what happens off-planet in Japan, Portugal, or Texas. Those are places where Microsoft is graciously allowing other companies to continue to exist because the people there are too prone to complain for them to want to have to start help desks that speak their languages.

Ah good catch, I didn't realize they were talking about the U.S. only.

Wii - Worldwide: 96.56 million (as of June 30, 2012)
360 - Worldwide: 67.2 million (as of April 19, 2012)
PS3 - 63.9 million (as of March 31, 2012)

I don't see the PS3 catching up to the 360's worldwide sales and I most definitly do not see the 360 catching the Wii's worldwide sales.

Yeah, but from what I can gather Microsoft will still replace/fix the system if it gets a RROD even after it's warranty has expired. Kudos to Microsoft for that.

Oh, I missed your post! I didn't realize they were replacing stuff outside the warranty, but I haven't ever owned a 360 either. That's really nice of them to stand by their stuff like that.

And then there are facts, like Microsoft loaned Apple money which Apple paid back very quickly (with interest!). The only reason Microsoft did that was because Office Mac was and still is a big money maker. Of course Apple was very happy about that because Office was needed as Mac software. This is no way helped Microsoft ("prove they weren't a monopoly") when they started being investigated (and convicted!) of their abusive business practices, not only in the US but in the EU as well.

'On April 3, 2000, a judgment was handed down in the case of United States v. Microsoft,[34] calling the company an "abusive monopoly";[35] it settled with the U.S. Department of Justice in 2004.[17]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

Yours hasn't "died", and it's a launch model... Have you tried cleaning it?

If you're gonna Troll, at least do a little research, total WORLDWIDE sales data.....
PS3 65,762,666 28.6%
360 67,628,643 29.4%

Here is another flash...Several Major Retailers in the US no longer carry Japanese based games. Go troll somewhere else fanboy. :rolleyes:

If you're gonna Troll, at least do a little research, total WORLDWIDE sales data.....
PS3 65,762,666 28.6%
360 67,628,643 29.4%

Here is another flash...Several Major Retailers in the US no longer carry Japanese based games. Go troll somewhere else fanboy. :rolleyes:

Dude, get over yourself. You missed the biggest selling unit from that like diagram, and the fact the xbox only comes second, in the US...and third everywhere else. What exactly am I a fan of, statistics? :p

The dvd-rom drive in most 360s go out real quick. Its either death by the red ring or death by unreadable disc errors. Got tired of the errors. Crappy quality control.

With Sony's f up and then taking weeks to be forthcoming about it, I'm surprised the margin isn't wider. But then again, people have the memory of a gnat when TV isn't telling them what is important.

who cares abpout this anymore ? I have a 360 but theres very few exclusives for it anymore out side of kinect which is still for people whp like to look stupid playing kiddie games. I still perfer the ps3, but in rreality I havn't used either one much in past few months ro play games. I havn't even turned the 360 on in 6 months .I most likely wont be getting the next gen consoles.

:rolleyes:
Dude, get over yourself. You missed the biggest selling unit from that like diagram, and the fact the xbox only comes second, in the US...and third everywhere else. What exactly am I a fan of, statistics? :p
Sorry, you lose. How do you figure third everywhere else? WORLD WIDE SALES puts WII first, 360 second, and PS3 third.

The dvd-rom drive in most 360s go out real quick. Its either death by the red ring or death by unreadable disc errors. Got tired of the errors. Crappy quality control.

Thanks for telling the truth,

I lost my original Christmas launch Xbox to dvd drive failure, i could have fixed it, i just decided not to. Red ring of death, is just a generic error (hardware failure), not that different from a blue screen. Thats a lot a different possibility of what could have gone wrong.

My first 360 got the RRoD 2 months after selling it to a friend of mine (8 months after purchase and ~200 hours of use). My second 360 is sitting in my closet after its 2nd RRoD; why bother when I have a launch PS3 still working great in my living room, and a PS3 slim in the game room?

If Halo, in all it's mediocrity, didn't carry the Xbox to success; it would be in serious shit at the moment.

I think this has more to do with college kids getting ready for school. Microsoft is running the "Buy a PC, Get an Xbox" deal again this year. I have no doubt that this deal gives them a healthy boost in 360 sales.

Sony is too.

:rolleyes:
Sorry, you lose. How do you figure third everywhere else? WORLD WIDE SALES puts WII first, 360 second, and PS3 third.

Yes... Lets look at this...

Ok US (millions):

Wii 35+
Xbox 25.4
PS3 15.4

Xbox is second.

Europe:

Wii 24.9
PS3 14.7
Xbox 13.7

Third.

Japan:

Wii 11.45
Xbox 1.2
PS3 5

Third. Etc. etc.

You guys are having an arguement over the wrong thing.

You do realize that, at least in the case of comparing ps3 to 360, that both consoles were launched with each company losing money on each unit sold? This is made up from software sales.

What you really should look at is number of consoles sold along with the number of software sales for each. Both sony and microsoft make a cut of each game sold. In the end, its all about making money.

Last time I checked, pretty sure Microsoft was making more money from their gaming division than sony, and hell Nintendo was killing them both during the Wii heyday.

Also, who gives a shit. Play all, one, or none. Get your gaming enjoyment however you like.

Try cleaning it or not having it crammed in a cabinet, you might find the results surprising when it isn't packed full of dust. I know cleaning your electronics is a new concept for non pc gamers, but it really is quite useful on both the PS3 and 360.

FYI it was the 360 that had the problem of basically every launch unit being a brick, that problem was hardly widespread for the PS3.

You guys are having an arguement over the wrong thing.

You do realize that, at least in the case of comparing ps3 to 360, that both consoles were launched with each company losing money on each unit sold? This is made up from software sales.

What you really should look at is number of consoles sold along with the number of software sales for each. Both sony and microsoft make a cut of each game sold. In the end, its all about making money.

Last time I checked, pretty sure Microsoft was making more money from their gaming division than sony, and hell Nintendo was killing them both during the Wii heyday.

Also, who gives a shit. Play all, one, or none. Get your gaming enjoyment however you like.

I agree with this to a degree.

I do recall at the PS3's launch at $600 early reports stated each console costed nearly $900 to develop, so Sony was taking a $300 loss per console sold, and thus relied on game sales to make up this loss.

Of course this tends to be the same of most things that are newly introduced on the market which come with an exorbitant price tag. Which as the technology is refined and make less costly to produce come the price cuts.

Although some may also factor the removal of features of the more recent PS3 models also effecting it's price, which is a first for any console to date.

As far as I can remember newer console models came with refinements of it's technology or additional features, not removal of features. I am specifically refering to the removal of the PS2 EE and GS chips, the Media Slot reader, and less USB ports.

Next Gen probably won't appeal to me as such considering with the exception of the Wii-U, the PS Orbis, and Xbox 720 are presumed to be digital consoles apparently no physical media used for them. Until they are actually or actual hardware details revealed I will continue to remain skeptical until solid and factual information becomes available.

Back