Microsoft: Metro? We Never Had a Metro

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Those guys over at Microsoft should lend their talents to the upcoming presidential campaign. They are becoming the ultimate masters of spin. As of Friday, the name Metro never existed…..it was always Modern UI. Can’t you guys read? These are not the Droids you are looking for: The CIA would be proud :D

Microsoft seems so eager to get its brand messaging in order that it has employed some rather hasty search and replacing, resulting in one panel with the boggling title, "Building a Windows 8 Modern UI-style UI.

It isn't what something actually is...it is what you call it and the branding.

Why doesn't Windows 8 UI have windows on Windows 8 when using the Windows 8 UI? ... wait what did I just say?

Ripped from the Windows 8 Developer Blog

"Designing for Metro style and the desktop"

Link

This just in, Microsoft is a bunch of ass hats.

"Building a Windows 8 Modern UI-style UI"

A what in the what now?

5192012043239windows8vsaol.jpeg

221435NothingtodoHereGifMadethiscuzIwas2479d82822723.gif

Metro was distinctive an was reinforcing the message that it held distinctive changes.

"Modern UI" is bland and tries to send the message the new interface is a run of the mill change unworthy of a significant new name.

Which one is true, is a matter for debate.

But to an uniformed joe average, they will put a lot of weight in the name to whether they need to pay more attention or move on and ignore the discussion. They're re-branding to downplay the significance of the change.

If they really care about damage control, they should remove the problem and not just remove the name.

If they really care about damage control, they should remove the problem and not just remove the name.

remove the problem means firing all those bonehead fucktards of the development team and hire a new team with creative people.. like, NTFS in 2012? patching vista to SP3 and calling it a new release? what else? force some shitty tablet interface onto desktops? geez, MS is over, gone, this shit has to go, BAD.

They spent too much time with Metro (phone OS) to just change it, the new name won't stick. Everyone will still call it Metro.

They spent too much time with Metro (phone OS) to just change it, the new name won't stick. Everyone will still call it Metro.

Yeah, the name is likely to stick with enthusiasts, and journalists as well. Marketers can call it what they want, but it is going to be remembered as metro. My guess is that they are trying to duck the bad press/word of mouth that Metro is seeing on non touch devices.

Yeah, the name is likely to stick with enthusiasts, and journalists as well. Marketers can call it what they want, but it is going to be remembered as metro. My guess is that they are trying to duck the bad press/word of mouth that Metro is seeing on non touch devices.

Does anyone call Win Vista "Longhorn"?

I guess we'll never know the true story here, Microsoft has been using the term Metro for a number of years and apparently never trademarked or anything but used the term extensively in the Zune and Windows Phone which of course were and are bit players.

But attach the term Metro to the most valuable software product on the planet and I guess the guy that does have the term trademarked probably wants and good piece of the action. It's hard to believe that this just came to Microsoft's attention and that they weren't working to acquire rights to using the name and that the deal just tell through, certainly if I had rights to the term I'd have been knocking at Microsoft's bank accounts long ago, even before Windows 8.

Though this is a blunder the damage is pretty well contained to the tech world that is pretty negative about Metro and Windows 8 anyway, average people still haven't seen Windows 8 in any depth and have no idea what Metro is, or should I say was.

what youre seeing its called "interface" lol

I know, an interface that I've used across tablets, laptops and desktops for 11 months now. I chuckle that picture a bit too because people who post it have never used that AOL client or Windows 8 to any real extent and I've done both.

Does anyone call Win Vista "Longhorn"?

No, but not a lot of people called it Longhorn, including MS for a while B4 it launched. We are also not talking about an OS, but a UI. Who is going to call the UI, "Modern UI"? The words, modern ui sound more like a descriptor and not an actual name like Metro does. I don't foresee many around here at least, or the other tech sites, calling the UI, modern UI, rather than Metro, do you?

I always thought the name Metro was appropriate. An OS for Metrosexuals where at least 50% of your computing experience needs to take place while sitting in a starbucks in order to appreciate the UI.

From what I read, the reason they are doing this is because of a conflict with a European cash & carry called Metro owned by the German retail giant Metro AG, not because of an image issue.

I know, an interface that I've used across tablets, laptops and desktops for 11 months now. I chuckle that picture a bit too because people who post it have never used that AOL client or Windows 8 to any real extent and I've done both.

You used AOL for Kids?

I always thought the name Metro was appropriate. An OS for Metrosexuals where at least 50% of your computing experience needs to take place while sitting in a starbucks in order to appreciate the UI.

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying. As much as people like to call me a Microsoft fanboy I perfectly understand why a lot of people who have only used it with a mouse and keyboard and not on a tablet or touchscreen device don't like it as they or only seeing half of the picture.

I guess they're just warming up their history rewriting skills, so that in 2014, they can claim Windows 8 never existed.

A what in the what now?

5192012043239windows8vsaol.jpeg

221435NothingtodoHereGifMadethiscuzIwas2479d82822723.gif

Too bad AOL didn't patent that design ala Apple. They could have made billions! :D

I can hear the AOL lawyer now: "Clearly Microsoft has benefited from my client's 20 year old 5 minute UI design and we demand restitution."

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying. As much as people like to call me a Microsoft fanboy I perfectly understand why a lot of people who have only used it with a mouse and keyboard and not on a tablet or touchscreen device don't like it as they or only seeing half of the picture.

And we have a breakthrough! So, people who don't have a Windows tablet or touchscreen may often hate the interface. But, that's not fair because the interface was designed for those and not mice and keyboards. That's great. But it doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming, vast majority of users have neither a touchscreen nor a tablet. And, for the majority of those people they are extremely unlikely to buy a touchscreen. They may buy a tablet but that doesn't change that the User Interface Formerly Known As Metro is bollocks for the desktop and traditional laptops. Which, begs the question. Why is it being forced on users who will more likely than not have a negative experience with it? That's rhetorical though, given that answer has already been answered in the dozens of Windows 8 threads previous.

eh, what ever they wish to call it, it still sucks.

its pretty sad when you have to hack into windows 8 to actually remove that crap.....

result, i still use windows 7.... i'll pass this release and hopefully they release something better.

Back