Google To Rank Pirate Sites Lower

HardOCP News

[H] News
Lower search ranks for copyright offenders? Why not just remove offending sites altogether? Seriously, what good does it do to rank them lower?

Starting next week, we will begin taking into account a new signal in our rankings: the number of valid copyright removal notices we receive for any given site. Sites with high numbers of removal notices may appear lower in our results.

so that means file sharing sites will be low ranked.

they dont remove the site because it might be a legal site like a file sharing site.

^^^ That sorta.

And it gives you the fudge factor of legitimate sites not getting flat out blocked. Blocking will lead to more complaints than just not being on the front page.

Starting next week, we will begin taking into account a new signal in our rankings: the number of valid copyright removal notices we receive for any given site. Sites with high numbers of removal notices may appear lower in our results.

Guess YouTube's going to the bottom.

Because ranking them lower will extort money from them to be bumped back up to the top... :)

Might be related to censorship? i.e. low rank instead of blocked entirely?

How about instead of that, we sink all those bullshit
sites that just repost forums and information so that
they can get hits on their shitty site.

Anything from ask.com, ehow.com and other such
sites comes to mind.

How about instead of that, we sink all those bullshit
sites that just repost forums and information so that
they can get hits on their shitty site.

Anything from ask.com, ehow.com and other such
sites comes to mind.

YES and those stupid mailing list sites. KILL THEM ALL!!! Nothing worse than searching for a Linux issue and find 20 sites that have the exact same post. What I don't get about those is, isin't it copyright infringement to copy verbatim from one site and post it on another? Why does the government not make any big deal with that, but they freak over a few MP3s? It comes to show how their interest is money, and not actually protecting rights.

Pirates are people that board ships, steal their cargo, and kidnap/murder their crews. To associate copying with this activity is to buy into the propaganda of the "intellectual property" industry.

How about toning down the ads and putting auctioning sites and online stores lower unless we specifically ask for them. Everytime i googled for information on something, most of the search results are trying to sell it to me.

I would actually like this. I hate those sites that popup with whateveryousearched.torrent.

google gets tons of hits off of searches for pirate material so they arent going to remove them.

I hate when I google an episode of a TV show and all the results are sketchy download links and streams. This is a good thing.

So if you want to find pirated stuff, just skip to the end of the search list. That means you skip all the phony advertisers at the top of the list and can find the real stuff easier. Seems like an odd move.

Next week they will offer a view button, so you can change the list order. view - ranking - ascending. :p

Back