Corsair AF and SP Series Fans

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that haven't seen Corsair's new AF and SP series fans yet, I highly recommend you head on over to Neoseeker today and read their review.

Today we will be reviewing two of Corsair’s new series of case fans, the AF (Airflow) and the SP (Static Pressure). When Corsair set out to design the Airflow and Static Pressure series, they were not just looking to create a new line of case fans; they wanted to take case cooling to the next level.

They come well packaged and are quality but the output and power of these fans leaves something to be desired. I bought 4 of these for my old H100 and in to the computer bin they went. If anyone wants 4 SP120mm fans, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
35 dBa and 3.1mm/H20 vs 28-30dBa and 2.9mm/H20 SP...and they cost about the same as Gentle Typhoons. I would call this a fail, my Panaflo's were ~39 or so dBA or 38, and that was loud as fuck. 35 probably isn't quiet either, while the Gentle Typhoons are much quieter.

Considering Noctua's P12's at 1300RPM are pushing 1.68 static pressure with 19DBA, and these at SP120's have 3.1 Static pressure at 35DB and 2350RPM, that's quite horrible. Also considering that the Noctua's Push 92.3CFM and These corsairs push 62.74CFM, that's quite poor considering that you can pick up Noctua's for $20, and these SP120's for $30

You might say its "Not fair" putting up the SP120's against the best fans in the business (Noctua's NF-P12 and NF-P14 FLX's, And you have the NF-F12 which is 2.61static pressure with 1500RPM, but pushes less air then the P12 for its RPM/Noise) but considering all three of Noctua's best fans retail for $20 and the SP corsair series retail for $30, that's a tough act too sell

They come well packaged and are quality but the output and power of these fans leaves something to be desired. I bought 4 of these for my old H100 and in to the computer bin they went. If anyone wants 4 AF120mm fans, let me know.

SP fans are ment for rads not the AF..Because you need fans with high staic presure for rads..

They come well packaged and are quality but the output and power of these fans leaves something to be desired. I bought 4 of these for my old H100 and in to the computer bin they went. If anyone wants 4 AF120mm fans, let me know.

You used the wrong fans, you needed SP's not AF's.

Anyways, are they they High performance ones or the quiet ones? PM me and I will buy them regardless of the model.

Considering Noctua's P12's at 1300RPM are pushing 1.68 static pressure with 19DBA, and these at SP120's have 3.1 Static pressure at 35DB and 2350RPM, that's quite horrible. Also considering that the Noctua's Push 92.3CFM and These corsairs push 62.74CFM, that's quite poor considering that you can pick up Noctua's for $20, and these SP120's for $30

You might say its "Not fair" putting up the SP120's against the best fans in the business (Noctua's NF-P12 and NF-P14 FLX's, And you have the NF-F12 which is 2.61static pressure with 1500RPM, but pushes less air then the P12 for its RPM/Noise) but considering all three of Noctua's best fans retail for $20 and the SP corsair series retail for $30, that's a tough act too sell

The Corsairs are $30 a pair.

That's $15 each.

I would certainly pass on these. First, I already have experience with Corsair fans suffering catastrophic failure while in use and unlike with a PSU, there is no protective metal grate for when a fan blade shatters and goes flying.

Even if I was willing to trust that these newer fans would not turn into a fragmentation device, their performance is nowhere near as good as that offered by Gentle Typhoons or the old Noctua P-12 let alone the newer F-12 or the active noise cancelling prototypes

I would certainly pass on these. First, I already have experience with Corsair fans suffering catastrophic failure while in use and unlike with a PSU, there is no protective metal grate for when a fan blade shatters and goes flying.

Even if I was willing to trust that these newer fans would not turn into a fragmentation device, their performance is nowhere near as good as that offered by Gentle Typhoons or the old Noctua P-12 let alone the newer F-12 or the active noise cancelling prototypes

got any proof of that? i have fans that came with my 800D when they first came out and still work great so im not sure what your talking about sounds like FUD to me

got any proof of that? i have fans that came with my 800D when they first came out and still work great so im not sure what your talking about sounds like FUD to me

Yeah, Ive never seen any fan physically explode like he is talking about, and I have been doing this 15+ years.

I replaced the fans on my 800D and stuck the old fans in a box, a few months later I notice a bunch of the fan blades had just fallen off, no idea if I may have dropped something on them in the mean time but there was about a half dozen fan blades at the bottom of the box. Weird to say the least.

SP fans are ment for rads not the AF..Because you need fans with high staic presure for rads..
Makes you wonder how many get it wrong and end up with subpar results because of it. These fans are made for specific purposes and aren't supposed to be used interchangeably.

Makes you wonder how many get it wrong and end up with subpar results because of it. These fans are made for specific purposes and aren't supposed to be used interchangeably.

I've seen many, many, many reviews of the Noctua P12 vs F12, where they rule the F12 the "Undeniable winner!" by such a god damn long shot it doesn't make sense given the F12 blades are so narrow even with the higher RPM

Overclockers club was the only site -PERIOD- I have seen do a review with the P12 vs F12 that was done properly, and it shows the F12's performance is close to P12's, but its not the LANDSLIDE that every other crappy Z-Grade hardware review site does, showing it was withing 2C, not the 10C+ other sites report, at that, if they changed the blade of the F12 to be the same as the P12, even with the bigger motor it would have been far far far more static airflow, and the F12 video's have shown via smoke machines those tiny blades create a shitload of air baffle cause tons of the air escapes off the backsides of the blades cause their scoops are so small, but the P12 barely has any baffle because the scoops are so large

Since when did fan specs actually become comparable? I thought there wasn't really any standard to measuring dBa or CFM (distance measured etc.) so manufacturers always fudged the hell out of it... Been a while since I bought any, last I got were either Noiseblockers or Yates.

Since when did fan specs actually become comparable? I thought there wasn't really any standard to measuring dBa or CFM (distance measured etc.) so manufacturers always fudged the hell out of it... Been a while since I bought any, last I got were either Noiseblockers or Yates.

I'm so with you...Anything they put on a box is just pulled out of the air some where.. I look at reviews and reviews only when buying fans.

This! Reviews from a site you trust and personal expierence are about the best one can do.

One of the blades in a 1200AX PSU sheared itself off from the hub with a really loud "bang" while the PSU was running. I had the computer set up as a test bench at the time because I was 1) playing with bit mining and 2) dealing with yet another bad batch of Corsair RAM (now at 6 DOA and/or sub-standard kits out of 6 and counting!). Based on where I was sitting at the time, had it not been for the grate on the the PSU (which I previously thought was solely to keep idiots from sticking things into the PSU) the fan blade would have lodged itself in my leg.

The PSU was shipped back to Corsair with RMA shipping label 1237903 (hooray for not deleting old e-mails). The replacement, at least, has made it thirteen months without incident giving me a 1/8 success rate with Corsair products.

Last edited:
Back