Samsung Investigating Alleged Child Labor Abuse at Chinese Factory

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though the Chinese factory that assembles products for Samsung just got busted for alleged employee abuse and child labor issues. I guess Samsung really is trying to copy Apple. ;)

In a scathing undercover report issued last night, activist group China Labor Watch detailed a litany of alleged abuses, including employing workers as young as 14, at Samsung supplier HEG’s factory complex in mainland China. In response to the allegations, Samsung issued a statement this morning saying it planned to reinspect the factory, which had passed previous audits.

6 minutes and still not 5 pages yet like an Apple/Foxconn thread would have been by now. lol

6 minutes and still not 5 pages yet like an Apple/Foxconn thread would have been by now. lol

Because there is hardly any news about samsung, especially when compared to apple. But I think its a good thing when these companies look into the subject. This time the place was busted already and samsung is doing their own.

Because there is hardly any news about samsung, especially when compared to apple. But I think its a good thing when these companies look into the subject. This time the place was busted already and samsung is doing their own.

That's the fault of the media, not because Samsung's factories are all heaven and candies. The media loves Apple, remember?

Samsung's trying to close this Pandora's box before it gets out. Lots of companies probably watched closely at what happened when Apple ignored Foxconn too long.

It really amazes me that people choose to F up their lives by engaging in this kind of BS. So much easier to just do the right thing and go home with a clear conscience.

Labor laws are dumb. If a person starts working at age 14 and invests $2,000 at a sub-market performance of 8% interest rate per year, she will retire at age 65 with ~$1.3 million dollars after 51 years of investing. If she waits until she's 18 to start investing (minus 4 years), she only ends up with ~$980k! That's a lot of money for only 4 years difference in investing.

I'm pretty sure labor laws exist to protect people who are too stupid to invest wisely in their future until much later in their lives from being out-invested by smarter teenagers. It's all ego protection for old guys trying to keep from looking like idiots compared to their smarter children.

And here Samsung is investigating it and all of us are going to talk about how horrible it is to give children a way to earn income.

Labor laws are dumb. If a person starts working at age 14 and invests $2,000 at a sub-market performance of 8% interest rate per year, she will retire at age 65 with ~$1.3 million dollars after 51 years of investing. If she waits until she's 18 to start investing (minus 4 years), she only ends up with ~$980k! That's a lot of money for only 4 years difference in investing.

I'm pretty sure labor laws exist to protect people who are too stupid to invest wisely in their future until much later in their lives from being out-invested by smarter teenagers. It's all ego protection for old guys trying to keep from looking like idiots compared to their smarter children.

And here Samsung is investigating it and all of us are going to talk about how horrible it is to give children a way to earn income.
not%2Bsure%2Bif%2Btroll%2Bfry%2Bsquint%2Bface%2Breaction%2Bmacro.jpg

And with that I should have my first drink of the day. I won't read anything more funny today.

You can legally work at age 14 in the US, as well! I started at 14. Just because I look like an old boot doesn't mean it wasn't worth it.

Maybe we're down on Apple because they seem to not give a damn? Samsung is taking it seriously.

After the factory got busted. Yeah very seriously indeed.

The factory doesn't belong to them. Knowing how those places work, I'm sure that when they went to meet and greet with the factory officials, all the skeletons were placed neatly in the closet until their plane left the tarmac. So, how do you propose they discover abuses? Plant spies in the factories?

That's the fault of the media, not because Samsung's factories are all heaven and candies. The media loves Apple, remember?

Samsung's trying to close this Pandora's box before it gets out. Lots of companies probably watched closely at what happened when Apple ignored Foxconn too long.

I know, wasn't looking to place blame, just the obvious.

Plant spies in the factories?

I don't think plant-based spies would be as good as human spies since most of the labor that isn't automated is done by creatures from the animal kingdom. Plants never struck me as being very good at assembly line work.

You can legally work at age 14 in the US, as well! I started at 14. Just because I look like an old boot doesn't mean it wasn't worth it.

it's okay as long as you don't smell like an old boot too.

Maybe we're down on Apple because they seem to not give a damn? Samsung is taking it seriously.

Haha... typical response from a [H] sheep!

Such hypocrisy around these parts.

BUTZ ZMOG APPLE HAS DE FRUIT LOGO NOM NOM NOM!!!! THEY ALSO MAKE THE MONEZ!!!

My overlords at [H] tell me I must hate Apple....

The factory doesn't belong to them. Knowing how those places work, I'm sure that when they went to meet and greet with the factory officials, all the skeletons were placed neatly in the closet until their plane left the tarmac. So, how do you propose they discover abuses? Plant spies in the factories?

Where have we heard this counter-argument before? Oh I know. When the same crap happened to Apple and we used it, only to be told by the Android zealots on here that Apple is responsible for who they outsource to. I guess the same doesn't apply to Samsung. Serious double standard going on here.

When the same crap happened to Apple and we used it, only to be told by the Android zealots on here that Apple is responsible for who they outsource to.

I prefer to call them Android Hipsters... as that word is thrown around about people buying Apple products... I just don't think the word means what they want/think it to mean.

LoL

VERY true, how can you be a snowflake if you follow popular thought?

Who wants to be a sheep when Scotsmen will just feel you in your no-no place, anyway?

I prefer to call them Android Hipsters... as that word is thrown around about people buying Apple products... I just don't think the word means what they want/think it to mean.

LoL

Andriod hipsters were bored of Andriod before it was released. They had been using a leaked version a year before you had even heard of it. They carry around rotary phones... for now.

You're making a roundabout argument. The reply was addressing your comment that Apple doesn't give a damn about Foxxcon. Now you're saying Samsung's forgiven because the factory wasn't theirs.

You're having your cake and eating it too.

Hilarious. And very true. This made my day!!

Keep it coming, but we all know this will not make a few pages long due to the double standards people have here. Such hypocrisy.

You're making a roundabout argument. The reply was addressing your comment that Apple doesn't give a damn about Foxxcon. Now you're saying Samsung's forgiven because the factory wasn't theirs.

You're having your cake and eating it too.

I still don't know why someone would want to own cake if they couldn't eat it.

So, uh....why do you post here, again?

:rolleyes:

So, uh....why do you post here, again?

Because in general it is the best technology forum on the net with a pretty decent gaming section...

What I find comical however is:

nerd rage over one multi-billion dollar corporation but then turn around and praise another multi-billioin dollar corporation while ignoring the same stuff.

Raging over gaming companies who try and generate more revenue streams from a successful IP... but but but it used to be free.

Complaining that (for example) they didn't get Battlefield 2 with updated graphics, but we all know that if Dice delivered that it would have been deemed a "shameless" money grab.

The revision history about "how games used to be", for example... raging over Diablo 3 have repititive or no endgame and being all about gear... forgetting the fact that Diablo 2 was repititive and really had no endgame and was all about gear.

I could go on but the bottom line is I just don't buy into the manufactured nerd rage around here but still enjoy technology, thats why I post here.

Because in general it is the best technology forum on the net with a pretty decent gaming section...

nerd rage over one multi-billion dollar corporation but then turn around and praise another multi-billioin dollar corporation while ignoring the same stuff.

Raging over gaming companies who try and generate more revenue streams from a successful IP... but but but it used to be free.

Complaining that (for example) they didn't get Battlefield 2 with updated graphics, but we all know that if Dice delivered that it would have been deemed a "shameless" money grab.

The revision history about "how games used to be", for example... raging over Diablo 3 have repititive or no endgame and being all about gear... forgetting the fact that Diablo 2 was repititive and really had no endgame and was all about gear.

I could go on but the bottom line is I just don't buy into the manufactured nerd rage around here but still enjoy technology, thats why I post here.

Can't you get a dose of idiot in just about any other forum on the Internet? Sure you'd have do something like remove the word Diablo and replace it with Snuggle Fabric Softener and remove Battlefield and replace it with Twilight, but you can find dumb stuff anyplace there are people gathering to share ideas and thoughts.

As with Apple... I don't see why it's their problem. It's not like it's only them that uses these factories. Political correctness is fail.

That said, I don't think anything is wrong with young people working as long as it's not a safety hazard. And if they have half a brain, it probably isn't.

Like I've said before in the comments attacking Apple for abuse of employees, if you think the company that makes the shit you buy doesn't take part in the same kind of abuses, you are probably mistaken.

Apple is going to sue Samsung over this. Apple is going to say they invented exploiting child labor, and Samsung is just copying them.

Apple is going to sue Samsung over this. Apple is going to say they invented exploiting child labor, and Samsung is just copying them.

Well you know what they say about Koreans... the Japanese know all too well just how much they try to copy everyone. Just look at their celebrities.. *shudders*

I have an idea. Stop generalizing everyone on H. While the posts are all in the same font, the people are different. Read, engage, contribute.

Or gtfo.

Can't you get a dose of idiot in just about any other forum on the Internet? Sure you'd have do something like remove the word Diablo and replace it with Snuggle Fabric Softener and remove Battlefield and replace it with Twilight, but you can find dumb stuff anyplace there are people gathering to share ideas and thoughts.

But we have a particular brand of idiot here.

The reason we hear and care about these issues is the decoy itself. The whole idea is simple. Make people feel like the reason outsourcing happens is because other countries hire children at pitiful wages and abuse people. Then Americans will not look at all the other reasons outsourcing happens. Like incompetence of our own governement and its policies, the fact that Americans are not willing to work as hard, unions etc... See its in everyones best interest to believe this stuff. The average American can go off feeling he is the best working in the world and only outdone due to cheating, the government can keep getting happy votes and ignoring the issue and being corrupt, and companies can keep raking in the profits of buying cheap goods and selling them at high prices to Americans.

But ask yourself really how big of a problem is this? Does it really amount to that much of an advantage? Why is it not OK for a kid to go work in a factory when we put, possibly millions of them to work on our farms here? I guess its OK if its your own family right? If you call work a chore, if its a mexican, if its mowing a lawn then its all fine right?

After the factory got busted. Yeah very seriously indeed.

I'd imagine the only reason they got busted is because Apple paid off the investigators. (both to overlook their own plant labor use and to not overlook Samsungs...)

Back