Apple's Biggest Marketing Secret Revealed In Court

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure this was ever a secret.

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller testified Friday that the company counts on free press coverage and products placed in film and television shows, sometimes over pricey advertising, to promote its devices to users. Instead, the company relies on these two strategies:
  • Rely on the media to create buzz for its products through positive reviews.
  • Product placement in TV shows and movies.

Comments

Obvious is obvious.

Yea Apple has a lot of shills in the press. Yea Apple places products in every TV show and movie it can. There are people do not know this?

Well at least with The Big Bang Theory there is only the iPhone and not the computers as Dell/Alienware has that cornered.

their biggest secret is that hypnotic glowing apple logo.

people see it, and gotta have it

Apple has really taken it to a new level, though, in terms of success. Of everyone I know personally that has an iPhone, there's only one that actually has an independent reason for owning it besides "its the best, isn't it?" or "my friends told me to get it".

You mean to say it wasn't the unicorn dust and magical koolaid? Who would have thought.

Yesterday... Err, today, I saw NASA employees using Macbooks during Curiosity's landing.

Kind of related.

I personally rather have a kickass Alienware laptop any day of the week.

Yesterday... Err, today, I saw NASA employees using Macbooks during Curiosity's landing.

Kind of related.

Yeah, that was some nice free advertising on the live steam...

Made me shudder, but it is what it is I guess...

Except that they are FUGLY. Alienware has never made nice looking computers IMO. I'd take a nice Lenovo T, W, or X series any day over anything else.

No [H] member should ever be caught buying Alienware. I'd buy Apple over Alienware everytime. That would be calling the kettle black and getting robbed :p

Honestly, I don't care if my laptop is grey or whatnot, just make it priced well with specs that suit my purposes. That's why I've never purchased any Macbook. That and I play games.

I noticed during the Mars rover coverage that they all had macbooks. I wonder if that was by choice or they were given them for free.

A fanboy of any company needs to take a serious look at their situation. :rolleyes:

You do have a point. And everyone bitching about Alienware, have you really owned one. For what its worth since Dell purchased them they have become more affordable, especially when you get a good deal from the Dell outlet.

Guys, stop saying things like "I know" or "obvious".

This is something that basically every other device manufacturer cannot get right. Apple is basically saying that it doesn't have to have the best product or best overall experience, it only needs to have the mindshare, or ubiquity in the public eye. I think we can all agree that Apple does that very well, better than most companies. In fact, I think it makes me like Apple even less than before, but you gotta hand it to them, they're geniuses, and the average person is a moron (especially America, where Apple dominates).

I'm also not going to fault a company for trying their best to improve their sales. Obviously they are getting something right (marketing wise).

Guys, stop saying things like "I know" or "obvious".

This is something that basically every other device manufacturer cannot get right. Apple is basically saying that it doesn't have to have the best product or best overall experience, it only needs to have the mindshare, or ubiquity in the public eye. I think we can all agree that Apple does that very well, better than most companies. In fact, I think it makes me like Apple even less than before, but you gotta hand it to them, they're geniuses, and the average person is a moron (especially America, where Apple dominates).

I agree with this to a point, for my GF, an iPhone was perfect. I've let her play around with my Droid Charge and trusting her to root and take full advantage of what it has to offer would be laughable at best. Her phone seems to be built pretty dam well quality wise. iOS may be sort of "basic" but for just a phone she can play small games, talk to her parents, and text her friends, it does it perfectly at the same price my phone does.

Not surprise.
But it does shed some light on why it seem Apple users are some of the least tech savvy people I have ever dealt with.

I noticed during the Mars rover coverage that they all had macbooks. I wonder if that was by choice or they were given them for free.

Ah, that is what made me shudder, not some misplaced faith in a corporation. Business, politics & agreements is what I find interesting.

Not surprise.
But it does shed some light on why it seem Apple users are some of the least tech savvy people I have ever dealt with.

NASA....

mars1208060-1.jpg

mars1208060-2.jpg

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._with_macs_during_mars_curiosity_landing.html

Also you have to put it to being the cool and hip factor which I detest.

You do have a point. And everyone bitching about Alienware, have you really owned one. For what its worth since Dell purchased them they have become more affordable, especially when you get a good deal from the Dell outlet.

But have they gotten any less ugly? Didn't think so.

If I'm going to get a laptop that "has a nice personality", then I'm going to do it right and get a Thinkpad.

If I'm going to get a laptop that "has a nice personality", then I'm going to do it right and get a Thinkpad.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am just stating the cost factors. My company has moved away from Thinkpads in my office due them becoming less reliable as they used to be.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am just stating the cost factors. My company has moved away from Thinkpads in my office due them becoming less reliable as they used to be.

Didn't Lenovo take over the Thinkpad line? That might be the cause of it.

Also you have to put it to being the cool and hip factor which I detest.

This is such bullshit. Who the fuck do ya'll hang out with that thinks this way. This no way shape or form happens amongst normal consumers. Nobody gives a fuck what phone you use. This is just manufactured butthurt by the apple haters.

[/quote]Apple has really taken it to a new level, though, in terms of success. Of everyone I know personally that has an iPhone, there's only one that actually has an independent reason for owning it besides "its the best, isn't it?" or "my friends told me to get it". [/quote]

An independent reason... because most with a Android has an independent reason right? The iPhone sells well because of the user experience, customer service, everything. It does most things a consumer needs very well and has great post product support.

That and Apple markets this shit out of their products.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks Alienware laptops are fairly ugly things...

They're just trying too hard to stand out, honestly.

This is such bullshit. Who the fuck do ya'll hang out with that thinks this way. This no way shape or form happens amongst normal consumers. Nobody gives a fuck what phone you use. This is just manufactured butthurt by the apple haters.
Apple has really taken it to a new level, though, in terms of success. Of everyone I know personally that has an iPhone, there's only one that actually has an independent reason for owning it besides "its the best, isn't it?" or "my friends told me to get it". [/quote]

An independent reason... because most with a Android has an independent reason right? The iPhone sells well because of the user experience, customer service, everything. It does most things a consumer needs very well and has great post product support.

That and Apple markets this shit out of their products.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like SOMEONE got butthurt.

I don't think they sell that well due to user experience or "everything" as you put it. I think it sells well because of the integration into iTunes. The iPod sold well, and all the users for the iPod made at least some form of purchase on iTunes, and they became part of the Apple ecosystem. When the iPhone came out, it was a natural extension of that same ecosystem. And when the iPad came out, it was the exact same ecosystem. When you get buried in the same ecosystem for hardware generations, it becomes hard to drop everything and move over to another system, even more so than it being a quality issue, honestly.

Of course, that doesn't explain why Apple never actually achieved market dominance for the phone OS.

See? I made a lot of good points without posting like a 13 year old on Xbox Live. Go put your big boy pants on and try to stop being a dick.

He neglected to mention the free press from the lawsuit coverage...

Back