HardOCP News

[H] News
Dude, I need to quit texting before I..
...............................................................A
..................................................................H
.....................................................................H
.......................................................................H
..........................................................................H
....................................................................................drive off a cliff. :eek:

Even more chilling was a message he'd written in the moments prior to that: "I need to quit texting, because I could die in a car accident," he'd typed. Luckily for him, the prophecy was only partly right.

I'd say something like "yay darwinism," but I'm pretty sure this kid is a paraplegic now, which is just kinda sad

I'd say something like "yay darwinism," but I'm pretty sure this kid is a paraplegic now, which is just kinda sad

All of his injuries were listed in the article. It looks like the worst is the punctured lung and fractured skill, but he was able to speak with the press about it.

It's a shame that this happens because people who do it really mess things up for the rest of us who only play Angry Birds when we're in slow moving traffic on the highway or on quieter residential streets where the worst that will happen is we might run over a mailbox or a trash can. As long as no one sees, you just drive away like it didn't happen.

These douche bags can keep driving off cliffs for all I care, it's when they cross the mf'n center lane when I have my kids in the car.

It's a shame that this happens because people who do it really mess things up for the rest of us who only play Angry Birds when we're in slow moving traffic on the highway or on quieter residential streets where the worst that will happen is we might run over a mailbox or a trash can. As long as no one sees, you just drive away like it didn't happen.

Yours starts out as a joke. Usually these threads go to genuine justification. "I do sometimes at stop lights" or "I know I have the motor skills but others probably shouldn't" is usually on the second page.

Yours starts out as a joke. Usually these threads go to genuine justification. "I do sometimes at stop lights" or "I know I have the motor skills but others probably shouldn't" is usually on the second page.

Oh...should I have waited until the second page so my comment would have blended better? :D

I love this:

Said Bothe on texting while drivingto his local NBC affiliate, "They just need to understand, don't do it. Don't do it. It's not worth losing your life."

Yeah, say that after you nearly killed yourself out of sheer stupidity. I bet it wouldn't have hurt nearly as much to just not do it in the first place. At least he survived to pass on the message.

Today a 24yo young lady crossed the center divider and hit a pickup head on. She died instantly. Fortunately the two people she hit are still living. They didn't even have time to try and brake. Many people, in my small town, are grieving because this young lady thought she could text and drive at the same time. As insensitive as it sounds, she asked for it but my heart goes out to the two survivors and all their family members.
That is my "texting while fail".

Riding a bike I noticed the cell phone users where much worse that the texters, they never look around there phone when changing lanes and are genuinely startled when i plant my boot in there door.

Yeah, but I see you are getting much better at underhanded sarcasm lately.

Aw gee thanks! I someday hope to have it to the point where it's a refined art. :)

Riding a bike I noticed the cell phone users where much worse that the texters, they never look around there phone when changing lanes and are genuinely startled when i plant my boot in there door.

OMG! That's horrible! I know most places aren't as bike-friendly as Washington state, but they really need to work on putting in more bike lanes between the edge of the road and sidewalks so people trying to get exercise aren't competing with normal traffic. :(

Wait, what's wrong with doing it at stop lights? I do that all the time, usually when someone rings me I check who it is and if it's not worth pulling over I don't answer it then at the next lights I text back "i'm driving, what did you need?". I'll also check maps and such while stopped at lights. The worst that's gonna happen is I'll piss off the guy behind me because I take off slow from the lights, but if that were so evil half the morons on the road should have their licence revoked regardless of whether or not they use a phone. :p

I have a strict "no distractions" while driving except to change radio stations/tracks/volume. I don't however see what's bad about it while stopped at lights as long as you put it down straight away and still check that it's safe to pull out before you go.

need to charge this guy (and anyone who texts and gets into an accident) with similar charges as a DUI, revoke his driving privileges for a couple years the works.

I just wish they would die, killing only themselves, and leaving the rest of us happy and living, but it rarely works out so lucky.

OMG! That's horrible! I know most places aren't as bike-friendly as Washington state, but they really need to work on putting in more bike lanes between the edge of the road and sidewalks so people trying to get exercise aren't competing with normal traffic. :(
Bike lane? What's a bike lane? If there's room between the edge of the road and the sidewalk it's probably used for parking. Many places there's just no room to add a bike lane. I grew up with no sidewalks and people whine about no bike lanes. :rolleyes:
I still think it's stupid that bikes have to ride same side as cars. Opposite side (like walking) means you can see oncoming vehicles = fighting chance.

I still think it's stupid that bikes have to ride same side as cars. Opposite side (like walking) means you can see oncoming vehicles = fighting chance.

Depends on the road, some roads that'd get you killed pretty fast because there isn't enough room for both a bike and a car so cars would have to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid you instead of just slowing down and waiting for an opening to go around and/or you'd have to slip through this tiny gap between the car and the curb.

They both lived, someone three years ago died doing the same thing where i live...

Wait, what's wrong with doing it at stop lights? I do that all the time, usually when someone rings me I check who it is and if it's not worth pulling over I don't answer it then at the next lights I text back "i'm driving, what did you need?". I'll also check maps and such while stopped at lights. The worst that's gonna happen is I'll piss off the guy behind me because I take off slow from the lights, but if that were so evil half the morons on the road should have their licence revoked regardless of whether or not they use a phone. :p

I have a strict "no distractions" while driving except to change radio stations/tracks/volume. I don't however see what's bad about it while stopped at lights as long as you put it down straight away and still check that it's safe to pull out before you go.

You're the one. You are the guy I sit behind at the red light checking texts, just sending the quick reply while the light is green for 10 seconds. No harm, nobody dies, but seriously. Pull over and do that stuff.

I'll say it then: Darwinism at its finest. If one of my family members were killed or mamed because of someone needing to "LOL" i dont know what i'd do. So yea, weeding the herd is fine. Same for drunk ass drivers putting me or family in harms way.

I'll say it then: Darwinism at its finest. If one of my family members were killed or mamed because of someone needing to "LOL" i dont know what i'd do. So yea, weeding the herd is fine. Same for drunk ass drivers putting me or family in harms way.

I agree with you on this. I have absolutely no sympathy for fools who put the lives of others at risk through recklessness. Turn off the phone, put away the makeup kit, and pay attention to WTF your doing with the 2,000+lb killing machine that you're in control of.

I would also support summary execution for drunk or stoned drivers. You point a gun at people and cops put bullets in you. Cars are even more dangerous, and far more common, so I don't see why this crap is tolerated to the degree it is. You want to get shit-faced, fine, do it at home, but the minute you get behind the wheel you're nothing but murder waiting to happen.

I see this all too often. I was behind someone at a light and was wondering why they weren't moving (the light turned green). She was putting on her makeup.

Driver last night, driving with no lights on for about a mile.

Also saw a newer car that got towed to work, front end was all messed up. Owner was busy thumbing through the owners manual and hit a tree.

Are you so stupid you let yourself be mesmerized with a game so much to the point that you play it while driving?

The only important thing you SHOULD be doing while driving is concentrating on driving without killing somone else.

Anyone on a bike who puts a boot in my door...gets this treatment but with one difference: You won't be getting back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTXLuu7_0Y

Are you so stupid you let yourself be mesmerized with a game so much to the point that you play it while driving?

The only important thing you SHOULD be doing while driving is concentrating on driving without killing somone else.

Nonsense! The modern smartphone is a window into a more important world of social media where people can instantly communicate with their friends and family about important events in their lives as they happen. The fact that we can means that we should at least keep our Facebook walls updated and send out the occasional text when a thought strikes us because, at any moment, that thought might be gone and never be remembered again. The free exchange of ideas with the people I meet at a club or the high score I get in Angry Birds are both just as important as driving a stupid car down a stupid street in stupid traffic. Like I said, as long as no one notices you ran over their dog or their mailbox, you can just leave and pretend it didn't happen. I'm pretty sure the dents on the front of my car are proof that it's just not a big deal. Besides, my cat comes along with me and he hops in my lap as soon as I start playing Angry Birds because he's trained to take the wheel. Then I only have to worry about the pedals and that shifter thingey between the front seats.

Nonsense! The modern smartphone is a window into a more important world of social media where people can instantly communicate with their friends and family about important events in their lives as they happen. The fact that we can means that we should at least keep our Facebook walls updated and send out the occasional text when a thought strikes us because, at any moment, that thought might be gone and never be remembered again. The free exchange of ideas with the people I meet at a club or the high score I get in Angry Birds are both just as important as driving a stupid car down a stupid street in stupid traffic. Like I said, as long as no one notices you ran over their dog or their mailbox, you can just leave and pretend it didn't happen. I'm pretty sure the dents on the front of my car are proof that it's just not a big deal. Besides, my cat comes along with me and he hops in my lap as soon as I start playing Angry Birds because he's trained to take the wheel. Then I only have to worry about the pedals and that shifter thingey between the front seats.

LOL...maybe I missed the joke in the first post.

"Said Bothe on texting while drivingto his local NBC affiliate, 'They just need to understand, don't do it. Don't do it. It's not worth losing your life.'"

This is why I don't have a ton of faith for the common person, because of logic like this. That's great that you're now a born-again evangelist for not texting while driving, but your idiotic ass had to learn that the hard way. Some people are at least smart enough to be aware that what they're doing is a bad risk decision, but you're back to being an idiot if you still continue to do it. And you get no sympathy from me.

Don't text while driving. Get off your cell phone.

And, since we're ranting, use your damn signal lights.

These are the type of people that usually would have been weeded from the gene pool by a saber tooth tiger and the like, but modern societies safety net saves them from themselves.

Luckily he just drove himself off a cliff, rather than veered into oncoming traffic at speed right smack into a family of five on their way to dinner.

You're the one. You are the guy I sit behind at the red light checking texts, just sending the quick reply while the light is green for 10 seconds. No harm, nobody dies, but seriously. Pull over and do that stuff.

Your car has a horn, use it :p I'm more likely to cause an accident changing lanes to pull over and maybe not having somewhere convenient to pull over than I am to cause any trouble just doing it at the lights, and when I do play with my phone at the lights I'm constantly checking the lights and my mirrors anyway. I'm more likely to miss the lights because I'm day dreaming about what I'm gonna have for dinner when I get home, or if I randomly stall my car :p

biking on the wrong side of the road is vastly more dangerous than the right side of the road.

Good thing you don't set transporation policy, you'd get lots of people killed.

Bike lane? What's a bike lane? If there's room between the edge of the road and the sidewalk it's probably used for parking. Many places there's just no room to add a bike lane. I grew up with no sidewalks and people whine about no bike lanes. :rolleyes:

In the US, you and that woman would go to prison.

Anyone on a bike who puts a boot in my door...gets this treatment but with one difference: You won't be getting back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTXLuu7_0Y

need to charge this guy (and anyone who texts and gets into an accident) with similar charges as a DUI, revoke his driving privileges for a couple years the works.

Yup, the nanny country has been far too lenient with driving regulations recently.

Back