XSPC Raystorm Copper Water Block

HardOCP News

[H] News
The PureOC gang has just published a review of the XSPC Raystorm copper water block. It seems as though they really liked the looks and performance of this water block but didn't care for the price tag or mounting hardware.

RayStorm is the catchy name for XSPC’s flagship CPU water block. RayStorm has garnered many awards for its outstanding thermal performance, including the PureOC Editor’s Choice Award six months ago. However, the water block has received some criticism from water cooling enthusiasts. Some enthusiasts, for example, questioned the durability of the acrylic hold-down bracket and the non-metal block’s housing. Recognizing that enthusiasts can be tough crowd to please, XSPC has made improvements to an already outstanding water block to address these concerns. Today we have the opportunity to take a close look at the result of XSPC’s improvements – the RayStorm Full Copper water block.

With a supposed price of $120, I knew where they got that before I even checked the website: FrozenCPU. What a joke. It's $100 or less almost everywhere else.

With a supposed price of $120, I knew where they got that before I even checked the website: FrozenCPU. What a joke. It's $100 or less almost everywhere else.
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. Still haven't bought anything from them, ever. Seem to be one of the highest priced resellers out there for this stuff.

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. Still haven't bought anything from them, ever. Seem to be one of the highest priced resellers out there for this stuff.

That's true, but their customer service is fantastic. I was of the same mindset as you. then i bought something from them because they were the only ones who had it in stock. They are super fast in responding to any issues/questions you have about any product. I now equate FrozenCPU with Crutchfield. You may pay a little more but you get customer service that can't be beat; And frankly when you need it, it's worth the slighter higher prices

I just picked up the regualer Raystorm. Couldn't see paying double for pretty much the same performance..

it looks damn sexy but i'm really not a fan of that piece of stainless in it. i don't see why you'd want to mess with chemicals when you can have your entire loop copper and brass.

MMmmmmm, Raystorm block. Love mine. Though, wish this copper version was out when I built my rig, would have suited the color theme. Ah well.

Love mine. Not sure why some are so allergic to acrylic unless they have had issues with it recently, I never have. And I like the glow of the LED's around the CPU socket. It's a great block and I have no complaints whatsoever.

I keep going back and forth between the Raystorm Copper and the Apogee HD.

The review was positive. They said the mounting system was less convenient than the Apogee HD yet the Raystorm Copper was sturdy and made good contact when mounted. The performance and restriction was better than the Apogee HD too. The Apogee HD looks good in an all black industrial way, the Raystorm Copper looks more sexy. Is oxidation an issue? Does the Raystorm Copper light up like the non copper version?

Last edited:
MMmmmmm, Raystorm block. Love mine. Though, wish this copper version was out when I built my rig, would have suited the color theme. Ah well.

I wish I bought one instead of the regular because I'm still afraid of cracking the acrylic hold down plate. Or better yet, wish XSPC would have used an aluminum or other durable metal instead for the regular block. I'm using four long bolt screws instead of the "2011 kit" since I bought mine before it even came out and I'm too cheap to pay $4+shipping for some bolts/nuts. :D

Have there been ANY reports of the Raystorm acrylic breaking at all? I have not heard of a first hand account of it ever happening to date and a quick google brings up nada. Seems to be much ado about nothing imho. If it were a real design issue we'd have heard about it by now as the block has been out in the wild for many months.

Have there been ANY reports of the Raystorm acrylic breaking at all? I have not heard of a first hand account of it ever happening to date and a quick google brings up nada. Seems to be much ado about nothing imho. If it were a real design issue we'd have heard about it by now as the block has been out in the wild for many months.

People are just afraid of acrylic in general because it has a troubling history, and metal is of course stronger. And when you're talking about water inside of a computer, you want strong! :D

People are just afraid of acrylic in general because it has a troubling history, and metal is of course stronger. And when you're talking about water inside of a computer, you want strong! :D

People want cheap, good performance, and well built...pick 1 sometimes 2. Such is life.

I simply don't get the nit-picking. It's a good piece of kit.

Good performance...
Good price point...
Good track record...

What's to complain about? :p

I simply don't get the nit-picking. It's a good piece of kit.

Good performance...
Good price point...
Good track record...

What's to complain about? :p

If you follow RR, there's always something to spew profanity about. :)

Back