Dropbox Confirms Security Breach

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this post on the company blog, Dropbox discovered of a security breach after receiving complaints about spam from its users. If you have a Dropbox account, now would be a good time to update your password.

A stolen password was also used to access an employee Dropbox account containing a project document with user email addresses. We believe this improper access is what led to the spam. We’re sorry about this, and have put additional controls in place to help make sure it doesn’t happen again.

The blog states no passwords were actually stolen from Dropbox itself, just a list of e-mails (gained by passwords apparently stolen elsewhere and matched to Dropbox accounts). Still a good idea to change your password, but it seems like a case of password re-use across sites/services biting people in the ass and sucking Dropbox in.

Geotagged pics could be a security hazard, tho chances are whomever's phishing for account passwords could probably care less where you work/hang out.

That is true, I don't take enough pictures to warrant backing them up, if I lose them so be it.
However even if I were to back them up, I have it to not tag locations of which they were taken.

Didn't see this coming at all:rolleyes:

And then the users in our office wonder why we have a shit fit about them using this service for sensitive information?

And then the users in our office wonder why we have a shit fit about them using this service for sensitive information?
Never ceases to amaze me how people use commercial, end-user services for business use and are shocked when there are security breaches, failure, outages ... like how pose for nude pictures and are surprised when they leak, never backup anything and blame a tech for losing their data, etc. Simple and easy are the only measures of quality to most folks :rolleyes:

That said, there were some user accounts hacked, but these were folks reusing passwords that were hacked from other sites, so I feel for Dropbox taking the heat here - all they're at fault for is letting some users get spammed, they weren't at fault for any sort of data breach.

... I feel for Dropbox taking the heat here - all they're at fault for is letting some users get spammed, they weren't at fault for any sort of data breach.

Read the blog/article. An employee losing customer email addresses seems like a data breach to me.

FTA:
A stolen password was also used to access an employee Dropbox account containing a project document with user email addresses.

Back