What the U.S. Army Wants in a Shooter Game

HardOCP News

[H] News
Whoa, did "this article just say they want a game that "authentically depicted Arab and Afghan female suicide bombers."

The Army wants a design that incorporates the latest graphics and game technology, and so last month, the Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training and Instrumentation (PEO STRI)—the Orlando-based organization that procures Army training gear—published a draft Request for Proposal to solicit input from the game industry on what they can offer.

I was going to suggest VBS 2 but apparently that's what they're already using. :cool:

Maybe VBS 2 v2.0, or a new VBS based on the RV4 engine? :D

Whats wrong with that?

They are using female suicide bombers, so training simulation should reflect the reality of the battlefield as closely as possible if it is to be a useful tool.

Sick and tired of the politically-correct liberals intervening with common sense.

Whats wrong with that?

They are using female suicide bombers, so training simulation should reflect the reality of the battlefield as closely as possible if it is to be a useful tool.

Sick and tired of the politically-correct liberals intervening with common sense.

+1
Damn straight!

Whats wrong with that?

Where is anyone saying anything is wrong with it? Don't go all Don Quixote on us.

Whats wrong with that?

I have to agree here. I forget where I read it, but an article I read at some point stated that basically as society and human rights evolve, we nothing better to do than pay attention to this kind of thing because, as a society, we no longer have to worry about rudimentary needs. You won't see this happening in 3rd world countries for instance.

Some folks around here (usually they stay confined to Genmay but they sometimes get out...) can't reply without mentioning those "damned Liberals"... :rolleyes:

And I am sick and tired of people with comments like this, trying to tie 1 idea to a whole group (of course its the group you don't "identify" with), many of which probably would even agree with you.

Funny, you didn't mentioned politically-correct conservatives? Does that mean you approve of intervening against common sense if its a conservative who does it?

BTW as you have guessed, I am pretty liberal especially with social issues.

I also totally agree with your general point (as I interpreted it)... that the extremes and zealousness of "politically correct" attitudes in the last decade have been a waste of our time and energy, not to mention in a situation like this... dangerous to our public servants (whether military or law enforcement).

I wish they would make an America's Army 4. 3 was okay, though it still has issues and a low player base as a result.

Though I would prefer a Ghost Recon/ArmA type SP/co-op simulator over a PvP game.

Whats wrong with that?

Let's add the ability for the soldier urinate on corpses, you know, just to make it reflect the reality of the battlefield.

The only thing I hated about Americas Army was the training part. I was never interested long enough to complete that part of the game, so I never played it.

Let's add the ability for the soldier urinate on corpses, you know, just to make it reflect the reality of the battlefield.

Only if severe punishment occurs if a player chooses to do that; such as permanently banning their CD key/login.

It's supposed to teach the solider; including right from wrong.

Bohemia Interactive with it's line of PC games are great, albeit, I don't have enough keys on my keyboard to map all the controls to. :D Sometimes they made things too complex. I also played a bunch of AA2 back in the day. It's hard to saw which studio I would prefer to see the next sim come from. But I'm glad they're changing and updating the requirements to fit the environments the US is currently engaged in.

Personally I'd rather have my Bible burned or be urinated on then tied to and drug behind a pickup truck or to have my head removed. I'm just saying...

Bohemia Interactive with it's line of PC games are great, albeit, I don't have enough keys on my keyboard to map all the controls to. :D Sometimes they made things too complex. I also played a bunch of AA2 back in the day. It's hard to saw which studio I would prefer to see the next sim come from. But I'm glad they're changing and updating the requirements to fit the environments the US is currently engaged in.

I tried to get into AA, but the engine felt like it was coded by a 12 year old. It just feels awful.

The only thing I hated about Americas Army was the training part. I was never interested long enough to complete that part of the game, so I never played it.

Same here. Lack of patience, maybe? I don't know. I just didn't get very far because I was wanting the game... Not training on how to play the game.

An adult game with a M rating that parents can't bitch about when their kids play it because they were dumbass enough to guy their kid a war game with a mature rating on it.....

I like how the article writer is surprised at how similar this game would be to normal FPS games, and then proceeds to name tanks, vehicles, and setting as similarities. I mean, really? I'm pretty sure in order for this to be used as a training simulator there's going to have to be some massive gameplay differences. Way to play into the hands of the mass media.

I like how the article writer is surprised at how similar this game would be to normal FPS games, and then proceeds to name tanks, vehicles, and setting as similarities. I mean, really? I'm pretty sure in order for this to be used as a training simulator there's going to have to be some massive gameplay differences. Way to play into the hands of the mass media.

Kotaku, son. Kotaku.

I am fairly certain that with all the scripting additions that have been made to Arma II you could make it into exactly game that they're looking for here. If they would just hire a few coders they could make it happen themselves. But then I suppose that would mean using common sense and spend way too little money so it's not likely to happen. If it's not over-priced it's not defense spending, after all.

They could also hire Bohemia Interactive and take the tactical sim that they have already created upon which the Arma series is based too. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Where is anyone saying anything is wrong with it? Don't go all Don Quixote on us.
Well, with the "Whoa, did this article just say they want a game that authentically depicted Arab and Afghan female suicide bombers" seemed to imply that it was a big deal or somehow not logical that they would want to include all combat scenarios a soldier might encounter.

Well, with the "Whoa, did this article just say they want a game that authentically depicted Arab and Afghan female suicide bombers" seemed to imply that it was a big deal or somehow not logical that they would want to include all combat scenarios a soldier might encounter.

You picked up something that probably wasn't there. I read it as "Woah, that hasn't been done in a game before". It is a big deal, in a way. Realism.

There is/was a lot of discussion on the ArmA 3 forums about people wanting female soldiers to be included. Looks like it's probably not going to happen, but it's not a totally foreign concept. There are already suicide bombers in VBS2 AFAIK, or at least in ArmA 2 mods.

I have no problem with this, except that the US Army is asking to see more violence. Seems sorta counter intuitive for a government to ask for exploding women bits to be in a video game.

I have no problem with this, except that the US Army is asking to see more violence. Seems sorta counter intuitive for a government to ask for exploding women bits to be in a video game.

If it's being used as a true trainer, then, yes, the other sex should be included. It's like the FAA approving a flight simulator that only includes prop planes and excludes jets and helicopters. To get a full picture of modern combat, one *has* to include female bombers.

If the Army is using this as a trainer and they exclude female NPCs then what happens when we have boots in a foreign country and the soldiers are not looking or suspecting female soldiers/terrorists? The check points aren't as secure because we're letting females go past unchecked, we're not looking at females in a crowd, etc. You train for what you expect in the field. If it's not accurate, it's just a waste.

Whats wrong with that?

Then you'll be happy if they include missions where U.S. soldiers intentionally kill innocent civilians and get praised for it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hp8HMstkE&feature=related

they already have a game that closely reflects the typical american these days
its called Dayz

I hear their starting up another Stanford Prison experiment. You should volunteer to be a guard. I'm sure you'd be great at it. :rolleyes:
I am sure your reply somehow made sense to you at the time you wrote it, but in retrospect even you probably agree that it just doesn't relate to the topic at all.

The point stands that not everyone is made to become a warrior and there is no shame in not being one. However, if you don't have the psyche for it then don't sign up and/or if you find out after the fact that its not for you then don't go around becoming a bullhorn for fringe groups to advance their agenda.

War is ugly, always has been and always will be, even though today it's a lot less ugly than WW2 for example. In war you go out to purposefully kill other people over what is essentially a difference of opinion on how things should be done.

If the dude knew that the guy was innocent then he shouldn't have shot him. No one in any kind of military command structure encourages or instructs (hence your ability to not obey an unlawful order) soldiers to kill innocent personnel.

What is also true though is that especially in modern wars it is often difficult if not impossible to distinguish between civilians and enemy combatants because unlike in the old days enemies now often do not wear uniforms that identifies them as enemies.

As such a soldier in the field has to make a judgement call as to whether the other guy is a threat even if he is dressed as civilian, thus it is entirely possible that civilians are ultimately shot and killed even though it turned out after the fact that they were really civilians and there was no attempt on their part to do you harm.

Either way, since we have an all volunteer army you should not sign up if you cannot handle the fact that you will be asked to take someone's life for no other reason than that they grew up on the wrong side of some imaginary fence. Government sanctioned killing isn't for everyone.

You can't "claim" underdog status when you have over half a Trillion dollars sitting in the bank Apple.

Fuck off.

Back