Google Admits It Did Not Delete Street View Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know you are all going to be shocked, shocked I tell you, when you read this article. The company has been so honest and forthcoming throughout this case, I don't understand how this could have happened. :rolleyes:

Google Inc said on Friday it had not kept its promise to delete all the personal data, such as emails, its Street View cars collected in Britain and other countries in 2010. "The ICO is clear that this information should never have been collected in the first place and the company's failure to secure its deletion as promised is a cause for concern," the ICO said.

either they don't have time to do it or they don't know what they'll do with the space they'll have after deleting the data. i wonder what they are saving those data for?!?!?!!?

I don't think this means holes in street view. It's the data they gathered beyond that.

Why would Google not delete data? Do you *know* their business model? .... o_O

Asking Google to delete data they collected is like asking normal people to burn money. You just....cant.

Err, last I heard they didn't delete the data yet to allow investigations.

I remember something about the fact that they won't give the data over to authorities but they are keeping it for bit in case they are forced to. I suppose keeping the evidence and being able to show its relative benignness is better than deleting it before an investigation and leaving it to speculation.

Err, last I heard they didn't delete the data yet to allow investigations.

I remember something about the fact that they won't give the data over to authorities but they are keeping it for bit in case they are forced to. I suppose keeping the evidence and being able to show its relative benignness is better than deleting it before an investigation and leaving it to speculation.

Also the quote up above is GROSSLY misleading. Google did delete what it thought was all the data, but found a small portion of it still around in the street view project. They then reported it themselves.

It's a lot different than none of the data being deleted, and someone catching them in the act.

Google should just buy all of Europe, they can afford it.

That's just what they need! If they have an entire continent upon which to dump targeted ads, maybe Google will stop trying to be creepy and do less spying on people elsewhere. I'd feel bad about it though. They'd have the Eric guy messing up what were utopian socities before they arrived.

Also the quote up above is GROSSLY misleading. Google did delete what it thought was all the data, but found a small portion of it still around in the street view project. They then reported it themselves.

It's a lot different than none of the data being deleted, and someone catching them in the act.

Hush you - just board the hate and ignorance train like everyone else. :rolleyes:

Back