Music Industry’s Global Anti-Piracy Strategy Leaked

HardOCP News

[H] News
While there is no way to prove the authenticity of this document, it is definitely interesting to get a glimpse inside the "mind" of the music industry.

A confidential internal report of the music industry outfit IFPI has been inadvertently made available online by the group itself. Penned by their Head of Internet Anti-piracy Operations, the report details the global strategy for the major recording labels of IFPI. Issues covered include everything from torrent sites to cyberlockers, what behavior IFPI expects of Internet service providers, the effectiveness of site blocking, and how pirates are accessing unreleased music from industry sources.

This is just like the Final Fantasy movie where they're rambling about how all their tactics are designed to deal with a living enemy and their enemy is actually dead which is why they failed to resist. You can completely equate that to the music industry by saying all their thoughts are designed around the assumption that the music they're selling is worth the effort of getting and that people actually want it.

I can't wait to see their education part. I could really could go for a nice car download right about now.

I can't wait to see their education part. I could really could go for a nice car download right about now.

You-Wouldnt-Download-A-Car.jpg

LOL!

The difference is, if I take your car - youve been deprived of your property. If I sneak in to your house at night and make a copy of one of your CD's, you aint be deprived of shit.

LOL!

The difference is, if I take your car - youve been deprived of your property. If I sneak in to your house at night and make a copy of one of your CD's, you aint be deprived of shit.

You keep your filthy hands off my Justin Bieber CD collection!

I'd download a car if it had the ability to pirate music right into my dashboard.

LOL!

How about if I sneak into your garage in the middle of the night and make a copy of your car? Will the copyright police come after me? and will they have a car fast enough to catch me?

What I don't get--songs are a buck a piece--IMHO, well worth it. Distribution methods have increased dramatically. Overall song sales haven't gone down with the advent of pirating means. And the industry still thinks that piracy is really a problem? Get with it--you recording studios are becoming more and more irrelevant for artists to succeed, and this is just a sign of your desperation. Why not worth with the artists and fans rather than against them. Oh, that's right, because your days of gouging people will soon come to an end.

What I don't get--songs are a buck a piece--IMHO, well worth it. Distribution methods have increased dramatically. Overall song sales haven't gone down with the advent of pirating means. And the industry still thinks that piracy is really a problem? Get with it--you recording studios are becoming more and more irrelevant for artists to succeed, and this is just a sign of your desperation. Why not worth with the artists and fans rather than against them. Oh, that's right, because your days of gouging people will soon come to an end.

agreed, sadly the quality has been in decline as well.. i grow sick and tired of the computer generated music. throw me some orchestrated metal or heavy metal
http://youtu.be/niSbkKI9jKQ
http://youtu.be/-bSQ4Zn1rKc
http://youtu.be/ldva3dA8yGc

agreed, sadly the quality has been in decline as well.. i grow sick and tired of the computer generated music. throw me some orchestrated metal or heavy metal
http://youtu.be/niSbkKI9jKQ
http://youtu.be/-bSQ4Zn1rKc
http://youtu.be/ldva3dA8yGc

I hate when someone says computer generated music... Ugly computer generated music like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjwCM5TFyk you say (because all they did was pretty much replace most of digital instruments with real ones) ?

Heh, basically outlines their procedures of shaking down everyone they can...no surprise there.

The good thing is that the artists are starting to take notice and tell them to f off. Even oldies like Led Zeppelin recently did it. Sad they have to rerecord everything because the studio/label owns part of the original.

This is their Global Anti-Piracy Strategy:

2212213_700b.jpg

(It had to be done.:p)

LOL!

I don't see it this way. You've deprived the person of the money they would get if you had bought the CD. By your reasoning, everyone could download every CD, book, game and movie for free, and their would be no financial motive to invest in these things. Some people really like free music, games and movies. I'm not one of them. Granted, I don't think someone should get fined $1,000 per song downloaded/uploaded, but on the other hand I think there needs to be some punishment that makes people think twice about downloading things they are supposed to pay for, and I also recognize it is expensive and time consuming to hunt down these people, so I really have no suggestions on making the situation any better, but the phony robin hood routine gets tiresome..This is not bread, or the King's deer for your starving family, don't want to pay for games, movies, music, then don't read/watch/play them.

Mr, Leod? Boy haven't you ever seen Highlander? That's one word pronounced Mac-loud. ;)

That's Mister Leotard who is not to be mistaken with the freaky bum that runs about trying to lop off everyone's head. I mean really, that guy that claims to be immortal had to be on meth or something.

I don't see it this way. You've deprived the person of the money they would get if you had bought the CD. By your reasoning, everyone could download every CD, book, game and movie for free, and their would be no financial motive to invest in these things. Some people really like free music, games and movies. I'm not one of them. Granted, I don't think someone should get fined $1,000 per song downloaded/uploaded, but on the other hand I think there needs to be some punishment that makes people think twice about downloading things they are supposed to pay for, and I also recognize it is expensive and time consuming to hunt down these people, so I really have no suggestions on making the situation any better, but the phony robin hood routine gets tiresome..This is not bread, or the King's deer for your starving family, don't want to pay for games, movies, music, then don't read/watch/play them.

I agree that it is more correct to say that it would be “depriving” someone of the money, but it is important to understand that it is still not theft, as all business involves “depriving” someone of money. For example, if someone hadn’t deprived me of money, then I wouldn’t deprive someone else of money. It is not an excuse. It is just the way it is.:D

BTW: How much money do I owe you for copying your text, twice?:D

I agree that it is more correct to say that it would be “depriving” someone of the money, but it is important to understand that it is still not theft, as all business involves “depriving” someone of money. For example, if someone hadn’t deprived me of money, then I wouldn’t deprive someone else of money. It is not an excuse. It is just the way it is.:D

When you are deprived of money though, it is done with your consent and for services rendered or goods transferred. I can understand why it's called theft, if I work hours every day for months to produce some work, and someone just copies it without my permission, I would feel they stole from me. They may as well have stole, as copying the work has given them the work and not given you the money, and the original work has no value to you outside the money you would garner from selling it. The cost of these products is not the CD it comes on, it's the work that went into making the original. People want to treat digital works as if they are physical works, but they are not, as technology advances our reality changes, and we must adapt to it, and not mentally stay in a 1960's time capsule where it's only possible to steal something you can hold in your hand..

BTW: How much money do I owe you for copying your text, twice?:D

$0. Just like you would owe me $0 for removing dog turds from my yard, or excess grass, or my garbage from the garbage can. Just like not taking every physical item is a crime, it's not the case that copying everything is a crime. If I had wanted money for that I would have stated so before hand, and not posted it to a forum where copying things for free is the norm and expected.

You aren't winning.
You won't win.
Toss up the white flag.
And focus on what you are for.

Also, make music stop sucking. much like todays movies. I herd from a REE LYE ABLE source that helps too.

You aren't winning.
You won't win.
Toss up the white flag.
And focus on what you are for - OH WAIT, nothing.

There is a reason that it is the distribution RIAA that is up in arms. It's because the artists don't get shit from sales of CD's or songs. Some people like to spout "Support teh Artists!!!1111one". If you want to support your favorite artists, see them in concert. Otherwise, you aren't doing shit for them. If you think you are by downloading or buying a CD, you are retarded to boot.

Also, make music stop sucking. much like todays movies. I herd from a REE LYE ABLE source that helps too.

$0. Just like you would owe me $0 for removing dog turds from my yard, or excess grass, or my garbage from the garbage can. Just like not taking every physical item is a crime, it's not the case that copying everything is a crime. If I had wanted money for that I would have stated so before hand, and not posted it to a forum where copying things for free is the norm and expected.

You own me $5 for mine, because I said so.

When you are deprived of money though, it is done with your consent and for services rendered or goods transferred. I can understand why it's called theft, if I work hours every day for months to produce some work, and someone just copies it without my permission, I would feel they stole from me. They may as well have stole, as copying the work has given them the work and not given you the money, and the original work has no value to you outside the money you would garner from selling it. The cost of these products is not the CD it comes on, it's the work that went into making the original. People want to treat digital works as if they are physical works, but they are not, as technology advances our reality changes, and we must adapt to it, and not mentally stay in a 1960's time capsule where it's only possible to steal something you can hold in your hand..

In this instance, I didn’t consent that they deprive me of money.
When you downloaded web pages from the internet, did you get permission?
Personally, I don’t believe that they, or I, have the right to dictate its worth.

I wouldn’t have a problem with people making use of my software, without paying for it, if they had less money than me. However, I would have a problem with the likes of the Kim Dotcoms, who make millions out of it.

Personally, I don’t believe that they, or I, have the right to dictate its worth.

Lets not forget these are the same people actively lobbying laws against us and criminalizing g their customer base. Just because their sales aern't high enough as they used to be ten years ago.

Dinosaurs will die. The music industry needs to adapt instead of clinging to their old business model and attempting to force people to submit to it, regardless of the legality/morality of downloading music for free.

I'm very much for the artist getting money but I wish I could cut the RIAA out of the mess. Bunch of dildos.

I quit buying music, I just pay for Pandora and Spotify now and stream. I deleted all of my music from my ripped CD's cause I didn't care anymore, the day of the mp3 died with legit streaming sources for me

You own me $5 for mine, because I said so.

For what service rendered or what goods transferred?

If someone stole from you, maybe you should complain to the police instead of some anonymous internet user.

It is not required to get permission to download a web page, because the web page maker/hoster does not want you to do so. Think of the difference between posting a flyer in the street and someone writing a book, the poster of the flyer has implicitly given permission for you to read the flyer by posting it in a public place where any one can see it. Not the same as downloading a book, where the author does not want you to read it without paying. Hard to believe we are going to such places in an argument..sigh.

I wouldn’t have a problem with people making use of my software, without paying for it, if they had less money than me. However, I would have a problem with the likes of the Kim Dotcoms, who make millions out of it.

And because you have no problem doing something, everybody else should have to do it? I don't think you'd like that applied to you about certain things.

People still pirate music? Why when you can listen to anything you want with spotify for free? I haven't downloaded music in years and won't need to again.

So we're pirates for not wanting the CDs as well? We're all screwed either way!

People still pirate music? Why when you can listen to anything you want with spotify for free? I haven't downloaded music in years and won't need to again.

I don't like it being tied to FB. I also like to have music handy wherever I go, not everything runs Spotify out in the middle of the woods. So, I buy songs. Usually from Amazon, sometimes Zunepass. I don't care to pirate.

So we're pirates for not wanting the CDs as well? We're all screwed either way!

There's something to be said for giving people relevant information. At this juncture all I can say is that I did not say anything about someone being a pirate because they did not want a CD and that you can interchange CD and legal download of course.. :confused:

Back