Gabe Newell Says Windows 8 Is A 'Catastrophe'

HardOCP News

[H] News
The quote of the day is brought to you by Gabe Newell and his apparent love of Windows 8. :eek: Thanks to PixelNinja for the link.

We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It’s a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we’ll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that’s true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality.

Last edited:
'Catastrophe' because there is a start page instead of a start menu, ffs. Why must humans get to the bottom of the barrel with regards to my respect, then proceed to dig...

'Catastrophe' because there is a start page instead of a start menu, ffs. Why must humans get to the bottom of the barrel with regards to my respect, then proceed to dig...
That's not Newell's point at all. He says Win8 is a catastrophe because Microsoft leaning more and more towards a closed platform.

That's not Newell's point at all. He says Win8 is a catastrophe because Microsoft leaning more and more towards a closed platform.
That's what I got out of it. I think his prognostication is a tad premature, though.

I think it maybe more related to the Windows 8 app store and Valve's current issues with delivering content (especially free content) in Xbox Live. Both of those require companies to lose money directly to Microsoft and that sort of limitation or perceived notion that the only way you can get apps is through Microsoft would be a bad thing for innovation or independent distribution of programs. That's just my take as he doesn't say anything specific in that that terrible article. All in all I'm sure a billionaire like Newell thinks broader than the start menu issue.

I'll hold off judgment until I hear from someone who doesn't repeat the word 'hedge' twice in 2 lines.

Well he's certainly worried about the Windows Store. Even if Windows 8 is a catastrophe it will in a few days have more customers than Steam has ever amassed in 8 years, so from his perspective that is something of a catastrophe.

Well he's certainly worried about the Windows Store. Even if Windows 8 is a catastrophe it will in a few days have more customers than Steam has ever amassed in 8 years, so from his perspective that is something of a catastrophe.

I think this is definitely his biggest issue.

Yeah, cause its just the start menu that's different. :rolleyes:

Keep digging.

I think it maybe more related to the Windows 8 app store and Valve's current issues with delivering content (especially free content) in Xbox Live. Both of those require companies to lose money directly to Microsoft and that sort of limitation or perceived notion that the only way you can get apps is through Microsoft would be a bad thing for innovation or independent distribution of programs. That's just my take as he doesn't say anything specific in that that terrible article. All in all I'm sure a billionaire like Newell thinks broader than the start menu issue.

That's what I got from it, too. Unfortunately, it wasn't articulated well.

If so, I fully agree with him. I think you will see many people holding on to Win7 tighter than even the deathgrip they had on XP.

He is -- his concern is the closed nature of the store. I'm not sure I agree with the second part of your post ; as it stands the future Win8 users remain --if not already customers-- potential costumers of Valve/Steam.

Don't worry Gabe, many MANY of us have zero use for Windows 8 and won't even think twice or blink twice when it comes out. We wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot crooked pole.

All I see showing any real interest in Windows 8 around these parts would be newbie tweener techies that don't know any better. The types that think plastic cases with lots of plastic chrome and blinding blue lights are cool.

Yes, I totally agree with that observation! :)
hQc9y.jpg

I like Gabe's business practices but I think saying that Windows would go closed is a little extreme.

Shit would hit the fan if Microsoft closed Windows and ran it like an iPhone. They're definitely going to incorporate a digital store into Windows 8 and I see how that concerns Gabe but I think what keeps Steam valuable is its ability to bring gamers together. GFWL is so terrible as far as the community aspect goes that I don't even bother to play GFWL games online. Sure, MS can sell games through their store but you're going to miss out on the social aspect that Steam provides and until Steam stops having awesome sales I'll keep using it.

All I see showing any real interest in Windows 8 around these parts would be newbie tweener techies that don't know any better. The types that think plastic cases with lots of plastic chrome and blinding blue lights are cool.

There are types like myself that have used Windows on tablets for many years long before the iPad and the current tablet craze that are very excited for Windows 8 overall as it really is the first version of Windows that works pretty well on tablets.

I think for now the Windows Store is necessary because if any and everyone could distribute Metro apps and if they weren't sandbox, there's no way they would go well. Malware and quality issues would abound.

I can think of one potential 'Catastrophe' to do with this. Microsoft seems to be trying to do something, like an App store, which effectively competes against Steam. Valve may therefore be afraid that Microsoft Windows users are going to get their software through that instead.

He is -- his concern is the closed nature of the store. I'm not sure I agree with the second part of your post ; as it stands the future Win8 users remain --if not already customers-- potential costumers of Valve/Steam.

And I think the closed nature for now is really the only way to go with this. Metro is a completely new development platform trying to compete with iOS, the granddaddy of mobile platforms and while Android has done very well on phones it's pretty clear that to open nature of Android hasn't really helped Android compete against iOS on tablets, particularly more expensive ones.

I think Newell's just blowing off steam (sorry.) He sells games for $2.81 during a sale, games that he normally sells for $15--and suddenly he's worried about margins. He charges his customers 30% off the top but thinks if Microsoft does it he'll be ruined. Yes--his margins facing a competitor like Microsoft, I suppose, may well be ruined. But that's why it's called competition. Steam should exist as Karmic justice but Microsoft shouldn't have a store because that would be unjust. Man, I wish he'd get serious about HL3. That's what Valve customers want.

Microsoft's competitors stack up in two ways traditionally. Those of them who bemoan Microsoft competing in anything simply disappear one day. Those who say, "Meh"...and concentrate on their products are not only still here today, but going gangbusters as well.

And, what, pray tell, did he mean by "Epic"? Eh? Epic bailed out of the "open" PC business, preferring the "closed" console business, long ago, IIRC.

Please, Gabe--lose weight and stick to HL3. Please.

I can think of one potential 'Catastrophe' to do with this. Microsoft seems to be trying to do something, like an App store, which effectively competes against Steam. Valve may therefore be afraid that Microsoft Windows users are going to get their software through that instead.

THIS is what he's worried about and it's pretty transparent. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a valid point but Steam is still going to sell a lot of software to Windows 8 users, but now they've got other options. Which is kind of funny that now there's more options that ever, at least on Windows 8 x86 devices for software but somehow it's more closed.

You really think windows store will have almost 5.5 million customers in the first few days?

Once again, if they made a version where you could disable Metro I'd be all over it. Some of the smaller changes make Win 8 compelling but the fucking Metro ruins it all. I bet the people over at Apple are all smiles seeing the disdain for Windows 8 from long time Windows users.

That's what I thought too. I hope Sony does a partnership with the upcoming ps4. Basically integrate PSN with Steam or something. More than what it is now.

Anyway I don't like Gabe because people think of him like a god and god forbid you question the man. (pc elite gamers)

You really think windows store will have almost 5.5 million customers in the first few days?

Probably in the first few hours. There could even be phones and pads sold. Every Win8 copy out the door is another possible app store customer. Doesn't mean they'll actually use the app store.

Windows 8 IS a catastrophe... Windows 8 will be the beginning of the end for PC enthusiasts.

If you look at Microsoft's financial report last week, they help back $540 million dollars in Windows Upgrades sales. I didn't hear anyone talk about that number and honestly have no idea what makes up that number. But if looks like millions of people have already bought the Windows 8 upgrade. So in a week there'll easily millions of people that will used the Windows Store and bought an app or two. It certainly won't take long for the Windows Store to overtake Steam's customer base size.

You couldn't pay me to take on Windows 8.

...that may be the direction in which we're heading. But I'm with you.

I'm not interested in putting an OS designed for a tablet on my PC. I already have W7 on it.

Probably in the first few hours. There could even be phones and pads sold. Every Win8 copy out the door is another possible app store customer. Doesn't mean they'll actually use the app store.

If you look at Microsoft's financial report last week, they help back $540 million dollars in Windows Upgrades sales. I didn't hear anyone talk about that number and honestly have no idea what makes up that number. But if looks like millions of people have already bought the Windows 8 upgrade. So in a week there'll easily millions of people that will used the Windows Store and bought an app or two. It certainly won't take long for the Windows Store to overtake Steam's customer base size.
Potential customers arent customers. Thats also a count of online steam accounts for today. Total steam accounts was over 40 million back in 2011.

Microsoft wants to put their chocolate in gabe's peanut butter.... eck microsoft wants to put their chocolate in everyones peanut butter!

Potential customers arent customers. Thats also a count of online steam accounts for today. Total steam accounts was over 40 million back in 2011.

Few days, few months, there's no doubt that the Windows Store is going to surpass Steam's customer base in the near future which is why Gabe is saying what he's saying.

Geez. All the hate for Windows 8. It's Windows 7 with more features.

And not only that can work on smaller and lighter devices, the one's that more and more people are using instead of desktops. So yeah, Microsoft should have spent all of its focus on a flat lined market.

Theres only 5 steam users? :confused:

Seriously, other than those licking seats on the underground, who wants Metro's applications based on it's limitations? Laptop/PC "desktop" users wont want Metro junk because of it's limited scope, you know on the most capable part of the OS. Serious developers wont bother because of Microsoft's profit gutting 20-30% charge and content policies, serious casual developers wont bother because of the tiny userbase... So it will just be junk $1.49 ported shit you get on every other phone/tablet OS. Oh and things like the Media Player DLC which was free in windows 7/Vista.

Even if Windows 8 sells better than expected, not all of those will be ready to invest in this backwards DLC store.

Back