Microsoft Security Toolkit Delivers New BlueHat Prize Defensive Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp.’s Trustworthy Computing Group today released the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 3.5 Technology Preview, which includes new Return Oriented Programming (ROP) defenses inspired by BlueHat Prize contest finalist Ivan Fratric. The EMET 3.5 Technology Preview is a freely available security tool that makes it more difficult for attackers to exploit vulnerabilities and gain system access. The BlueHat Prize competition, a program aimed at nurturing innovation in exploit mitigations through awarding more than $250,000 in cash and prizes, was launched by Microsoft one year ago at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas. The contest closed April 1, 2012, and the three finalists were named on June 21, 2012. The company will announce whether Fratric or another BlueHat Prize finalist will receive the grand prize of $200,000 at the company’s Researcher Appreciation Party on Thursday, July 26, at approximately 10 p.m. PDT.

Thanks for this update Steve. I can't recommend that every Windows user run EMET enough, it's a significant amount of free security, and works with everything I've tried it on such as internet explorer, chrome, explorer, adobe reader, mpc-hc, wmp. I've tried all the new version's new protections on chrome, and it appears to work fine (as does chrome's embedded flash) and the user guide says it works fine with IE, although not every add-on has been tested obviously.

Thanks for this update Steve. I can't recommend that every Windows user run EMET enough, it's a significant amount of free security, and works with everything I've tried it on such as internet explorer, chrome, explorer, adobe reader, mpc-hc, wmp. I've tried all the new version's new protections on chrome, and it appears to work fine (as does chrome's embedded flash) and the user guide says it works fine with IE, although not every add-on has been tested obviously.

Thx for the heads on the EMET. Looking into more now...

Been using EMET for a few months now on all my machines.

Not that many issues, pretty painless. Only pain is adding all the apps into it but you can run scripts to do it.

Thinking of adding it to a few of my more accident prone customers.

Back