GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 OC Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 OC Video Card Review - GIGABYTE has a new custom cooled and factory overclocked version of the GeForce GTX 670 known as the GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD. We examine how well GIGABYTE's Windforce 3X cooling technology allows us to overclock this next generation video card. We will compare it to a Radeon HD 7950 and a reference GeForce GTX 670.

Hmmm. If you send me your sample card, I'll see if I can write a review as well as you guys can. :)

Pretty slick card and nice review.

Looks like a full length PCB rather than the stubby ones on my MSI 670s.:D

What ... the Asus truck get a flat or somthing ? Thats two in a row !

My Gigabyte 670 Windforce hit 1202Mhz Boost out of the box. Unfortunate that this one is stuck so low :(

I just got my DCU2 yesterday, I'm glad to see this review today. Making me feel even better about my purchase. : )

I just got my DCU2 yesterday, I'm glad to see this review today. Making me feel even better about my purchase. : )

Not even sure what you're talking about, both the Windforce 670 and Asus DCII 670's perform nearly identical, even overclocking limits, the only difference is that the Windforce 670's are a better value due to cost. I had already purchased my Gigabyte 670's before this review and this review didn't change the way I feel about mine, I still love them very much.

Not even sure what you're talking about, both the Windforce 670 and Asus DCII 670's perform nearly identical, even overclocking limits, the only difference is that the Windforce 670's are a better value due to cost. I had already purchased my Gigabyte 670's before this review and this review didn't change the way I feel about mine, I still love them very much.

Since you asked, this is why it made me more happy. My intent here is not to make you feel bad about your purchases. Simply to show why I am more happy with my purchase thanks to this review.

1339825843iGh88o8atj_3_3.gif

134301816907Bz8JXTOQ_3_3.png

Manual Overclock difference Summary:
Asus 9mhz faster GPU Frequency
Asus 8mhz faster GPU Boost Frequency
Asus 36mhz faster Total GPU Boost Actual Frequency [Most Important GPU Frequency]
Asus 132mhz faster Memory Frequency

Those numbers (taking into account the video card lottery) make me happy.

It might be nice in the review to compare to a one generation older card like a 580 or 570 so the reader can get a feel of how much better the new one might be

Since you asked, this is why it made me more happy. My intent here is not to make you feel bad about your purchases. Simply to show why I am more happy with my purchase thanks to this review.

Manual Overclock difference Summary:
Asus 9mhz faster GPU Frequency
Asus 8mhz faster GPU Boost Frequency
Asus 36mhz faster Total GPU Boost Actual Frequency [Most Important GPU Frequency]
Asus 132mhz faster Memory Frequency

Those numbers (taking into account the video card lottery) make me happy.

Uh huh and each of those are simply one sample, surely if you've been in this hobby for a while you realize when you purchase a card you are likely not going to see the exact same results as someone else, correct? That review was for an Asus DCII TOP card which are supposed to be binned higher than a standard DCII card which you didn't specify you had a TOP card in which case your results may be different.

That being said, your DCII may or may not hit 1316MHz, in fact the majority do not. A Gigabyte WF owner may or may not hit 1280MHz, although that is closer to the average for most users. And last of all, memory overclocking provides a significant boost on the GTX 6xx series and your results may or may not match what HARDOCP achieved. My Gigabyte WF 670's have achieved 7512MHz and 7206MHz on memory which is far above 6208MHz.

Its a lottery plain and simple and your statement somehow implied that you were happy with your Asus DCII purchase because the Gigabyte 670 was somehow inferior based on one sample used in this test. Its a little pompous and a little bit reaching in regards to justifying your purchase.

I honestly, don't care what anyone purchases but I've seen too many of these cards and their overclocking results to know that you never know what you get until you buy one and its in your computer because they all vary to some degree. I can also say in my own opinion I'm quite happy to have not paid a $40+ premium for an Asus DCII card when my Gigabyte WF cards perform every bit as well on average if not better, in regards to overclocking and temperatures, and noise.

Uh huh and each of those are simply one sample, surely if you've been in this hobby for a while you realize when you purchase a card you are likely not going to see the exact same results as someone else, correct? That review was for an Asus DCII TOP card which are supposed to be binned higher than a standard DCII card which you didn't specify you had a TOP card in which case your results may be different.

That being said, your DCII may or may not hit 1316MHz, in fact the majority do not. A Gigabyte WF owner may or may not hit 1280MHz, although that is closer to the average for most users. And last of all, memory overclocking provides a significant boost on the GTX 6xx series and your results may or may not match what HARDOCP achieved. My Gigabyte WF 670's have achieved 7512MHz and 7206MHz on memory which is far above 6208MHz.

Its a lottery plain and simple and your statement somehow implied that you were happy with your Asus DCII purchase because the Gigabyte 670 was somehow inferior based on one sample used in this test. Its a little pompous and a little bit reaching in regards to justifying your purchase.

I honestly, don't care what anyone purchases but I've seen too many of these cards and their overclocking results to know that you never know what you get until you buy one and its in your computer because they all vary to some degree. I can also say in my own opinion I'm quite happy to have not paid a $40+ premium for an Asus DCII card when my Gigabyte WF cards perform every bit as well on average if not better, in regards to overclocking and temperatures, and noise.

Man, I mean really........sit down.
The guy bought what he bought and he likes it.;)

You're really in an arguing mood! Good for you.

I agree. It's way off the topic and has little to do with the review of the Gigabyte card in general.:eek:
I mean really.
They are both fast.
My vanilla MSI cards hit 1236 gently overclocked, I ain't crying.:D

You're really in an arguing mood! Good for you.

Its not as if you posted your enthusiasm for your Asus card in an Asus thread. You posted in a thread about a competitng product and said basically after reading about the Gigabyte card, I sure am glad I chose Asus. Now tell me again how that doesnt sound like you're putting down the Gigabyte card. And tell me how my post is out of line when I simply stated that results WILL vary no matter which brand you buy. It sounds like you had some agenda when you posted in this thread to begin with so dont go crying whe someone calls you out on it.

I agree. It's way off the topic and has little to do with the review of the Gigabyte card in general.:eek:
Im glad you also noticed that posting his enthusiasm for his Asus card had nothing to do with the Gigabyte review. My point exactly.

Im glad you also noticed that posting his enthusiasm for his Asus card had nothing to do with the Gigabyte review. My point exactly.

Does it really make a difference? Really?;)

He wrote one sentence. You spent 5 minutes explaining why he shouldn't be happy with his purchase of a competing product.......yup both are off topic. You just took it to a new level.:eek:

I'll help settle this debate, we all know the best card is the MSI lightning anyway...

I kid I kid

I picked up the gigabyte when it came out, and today got my second one. Great card. Ilike the 680 PCB and that its a lighter card then the rest so it wont sag.
I like the Asus aswell, but for me it was an extra $60 and at the time, there was a number of threads concerning the DCII TOP having stability issues.

Simply put, for the price, you cant go wrong with this card....I got my 2nd one new for $339 all in :)

i dont see how h can post a review a couple days ago where 7970 is beating a 599 overclocked 680, then today post one where it cant keep up with a 670...

but anyways comparing a factory overclocked, and then manually overclocked further, nvidia card with reference amd cards (when overclocked models are often the same price or close) is a bit unfair. but then, most sites do that so i cant knock it too much.

also, h's testing method uses so few games it kind of doesnt give a fair picture. when you are literally only testing 4 games, the choice of games matters hugely to which vendor will shine.

anyways this looks like the 670 to buy though.

@shark974

If you're talking about the MSI Lightning 680 review, that was a 7970 Ghz edition it was running against. Also the test bed specs were different(higher) as well.

I wish they had given the AMDs in this review a bit of OCing to though. Even so, they made me feel much better about my purchase.

I picked up the gigabyte when it came out, and today got my second one. Great card. Ilike the 680 PCB and that its a lighter card then the rest so it wont sag.
I like the Asus aswell, but for me it was an extra $60 and at the time, there was a number of threads concerning the DCII TOP having stability issues.

Simply put, for the price, you cant go wrong with this card....I got my 2nd one new for $339 all in :)

Nice! That's a great price for sure.

I've had really great luck with these cards as well. Don't have to remove the drive cage in a HAF 912 for them to fit, and they are very quiet.

This just makes me want a 660 even more.
Where are the reasonably priced GPUs Nvidia!?

Boom, pulled the trigger. I'm poor and I know 660s are out soon but I've been meaning to get a truly high-end GPU for a long time now, and my 2500k is bored. From GTX 275 to 670 :)

Is it possible for future reviews to have a category to compare sound levels too? I've built a pretty quiet PC and it's important to me, and since I like HardOCP's reviews, it'd be nice to have it all in one place.

And regarding the ASUS TOP, yes it has better stats on paper, but it's a very small difference. But the pricing depending on who you buy from I've seen range from $40-60 more. So enough for a full priced game vs a small difference you can't possible notice (that would give you what, a 1-3fps boost?).. yeah, the Gigabyte is the better deal for you dollar.

Thanks for the review, [H]! I've been looking for a while since the 670's came out, and this one seemed to be the best option. I finally bought one on sale yesterday to replace my SLI'd GTX285's. My computer doesn't get hot and loud when I'm gaming anymore! I just played a couple hours of Deus Ex: HR with max settings at 1920x1200, didn't notice noise or temps increase at all, and the graphics were smooth as butter. Started playing Skyrim a bit to compare to before, and it's perfectly smooth now instead of bouncing around.

Just order it on Amazon for $359 with a free BorderLands 2 code!

Gotta like that!

Back