Quote of the Day: 'Borderlands Has Zero Competition'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure what Randy Pitchford is saying about "zero" competition but I'll admit that it is odd that no one has tried to copy Borderlands.

It's kinda like Jerry Garcia. He said something like, "You don't merely want to be the best at what you do. You want to be the only ones that do what you do." If you're the only ones that do something that people find as valuable? You don't have to worry about competition. Like, Borderlands has zero competition. It doesn't have to worry about that at all. I'm actually astonished that we're about to launch a sequel and no one's stole it from us. The formula's right there. No one's stolen it yet. That's weird. We're in an industry where people do nothing but steal from each other. That's kind of interesting, isn't it?

Alot of games that take an off the beat art style sit like that. TF2 basically has no competition. However if the game gets too big eventually people will start to take notice, Fortnite looks like they are going to rip the TF2 style.

Isn't this game just another copy cat of Fallout? All they did was add cel-shading which is something from like the Dreamcast era, and threw in characters that seems to appeal to 14 year old boys. Lets not forget the annoying comedy relief robot that everyone seems to fixate on. Take away a lot of the awesome and you have Borderlands.

Rage was probably the nearest thing to Borderlands, except it just sucked more. I wasn't a fan of the first game, and I do think it was bad. Like very unimaginative. Though I do believe a lot of people are copying Fallout, and doing a terrible job at it. It's also starting to get abused, like army fps games.

Isn't this game just another copy cat of Fallout? All they did was add cel-shading which is something from like the Dreamcast era, and threw in characters that seems to appeal to 14 year old boys. Lets not forget the annoying comedy relief robot that everyone seems to fixate on. Take away a lot of the awesome and you have Borderlands.

Rage was probably the nearest thing to Borderlands, except it just sucked more. I wasn't a fan of the first game, and I do think it was bad. Like very unimaginative. Though I do believe a lot of people are copying Fallout, and doing a terrible job at it. It's also starting to get abused, like army fps games.

Agreed. Borderlands is nothing more than an RPG FPS. There are plenty of those. Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Stalker series, etc. etc. Borderlands does do the online element though which a lot of games in this category do not...

I'm not sure how Borderlands is a copycat of Fallout. The only similarity between the two is the post-apocalyptic setting.

Isn't this game just another copy cat of Fallout?.

Are you thinking of the right game? Borderlands is like a Diablo/Titan Quest/Torchlight type game but set within an FPS. It's not a sandbox RPG or tactical RPG like the various Fallout games.

Alot of games that take an off the beat art style sit like that. TF2 basically has no competition. However if the game gets too big eventually people will start to take notice, Fortnite looks like they are going to rip the TF2 style.

Art style has nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure how Borderlands is a copycat of Fallout. The only similarity between the two is the post-apocalyptic setting.

It's not even post-apocalyptic. Not really anyway. It's just a kind of shitty backwater frontier planet. More West Virginia than Post Apocalypse.

Borderlands = Fallout 3 + Diablo 3 + Castle Crashers

I loved Borderlands. The only other non-MMO I've spent as much time in was Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I will probably pick up Borderlands 2 on its launch day. The Secret World, PlanetSide 2, MechWarrior Online, Guild Wars 2 and Prototype 2... too many games. TOO MANY!

Borderlands and Fallout 3 are pretty different games

There are a lot of people out there who can see the similarities, particularly in terms of the look of the world and objects within it, and some of the characters. It also has quests with similar objectives to those in Fallout 3. Yes they are different enough, but that is because Fallout 3 is superior in every way, by a long way.:p

Borderlands was a 3D Diablo with terrible support, bosses, loot and multiplayer system. It could have been so much better.

Pitchford is right - it has no competition. Fallout 3 does not have Borderland's/Diablo's unique loot system.

Dead Island had the whole random stat weapon collection, co-op vehicle driving thing. though it's not the same kind of game, it does have similarities.

Alot of games that take an off the beat art style sit like that. TF2 basically has no competition.

I hate TF2's kiddy jusk art style. The reason why not many people have gone for that is because it's so...not good. Though thats not the biggest problem with that turd of a game (boring, low playercount casual combat in permanent slow mo in tiny boring levels). :p

picked up Borderlands on the Steam sale, it's an enjoyable game, people fixate on the weirdest crap, who cares if it's a lot like some other games, hell, nearly every game released in the last 20 years is basically similar. for the 5 or 6 bucks I payed for it, I am getting my money's worth and then some.

"Defendents game involved manipulating a Human interface device, to be known henceforth as a "mouse" to interact with objects onscreen, infringing on patents held by the Plantiff, Apple, Inc."

I hate TF2's kiddy jusk art style. The reason why not many people have gone for that is because it's so...not good. Though thats not the biggest problem with that turd of a game (boring, low playercount casual combat in permanent slow mo in tiny boring levels). :p

Not sure if trolling or just shitty taste in games :p

I couldn't get into Borderlands - it just didn't do it for me. Particularly the repeat spawning enemies in the same spots over and over again.

Not sure if trolling or just shitty taste in games :p

Seriously it's the boringest arena shooter I've ever played, other than Brink, and Brink looks better.

The single worst part about it is the speed at which everyone moves, it just kills the game. The W key gets impacted into the backboard with the pressure applied, but you just don't go anywhere at any speed, it's like geriatric paintball with blunderbusses. The reason for this is probably because of the crappy tiny size of the levels, but it just makes it completely lack the frantic fun of other arena shooters. Even the "speedy" class is fairly slow. I know they did it to make it easy and "accessible", but it makes it dull to play as you walker frame down a corridor for 15 minutes. The levels are all too small for proper long range battles, so it's close up action at walking pace. The aiming is a little...screwy too.

The cheap classes and random pay 2 win weapons means the balance is kind of screwy. Starting with all the weapons also means there isn't really any tactics/resource domination like in other gamemodes. Shit balance, shitty visuals, boring weapons, boring classes, shitty community, boring tiny levels...then they added micro transactions/p2w to kill it.

It's been heavily casualized to make it easy to play and accessible for everyone, but it's just dull. It never raises tempo from slowass. It's hard to finish a whole round without bored quitting, and I've done 24 games of Quake 2/3 various UT, Tribes, CS, BF etc. :p

Fallout was a copy of Wasteland. :D

Still waiting on a good MMORPG FPS that has open-world PvP. Huxley seemed to fit the bill but never really materialized and afaik borderlands was just instancing and no PvP. Feel free to open my eyes to any misgivings or future titles to watch in this regard. ;)

Borderlands is one of the best co-op games made (right up there with Serious Sam 2); can't wait for Borderlands 2.

Still waiting on a good MMORPG FPS that has open-world PvP. Huxley seemed to fit the bill but never really materialized and afaik borderlands was just instancing and no PvP. Feel free to open my eyes to any misgivings or future titles to watch in this regard. ;)

Planetside (2 is coming out soon too)

The best part of Borderlands is that the game stops when you do, and starts when you do. It allows it to be played at your pace, unlike an MMO.

As far as Randy Pitchford is concerned, the dude can say whatever he wants. He's a certifiable badass.

I personally loved the Borderlands game, it had enough humour, fun and guns. the characters were really fun. It was my Diablo with Guns game basically, but was over the top fun, great DLCs, never felt like a grind, I could just jump back in shoot and blow &^% up and still get a better drop. Not like Diablo3 where you grind grind grind buy gear for 50-300 dollars to feel more powerful. D3 lasted 4 weeks for me and I encountered the true Prime Evil -> Blizzard RMAH.

Looking forward to Borderlands 2, kicking up a few notches, co-op play going to be wild.

Borderlands is Fallout 3 - without the immersive story lines. But STALKER beat them both with the FPS/RPG idea,and did it far,far better.

Borderlanda was a Call of Duty clone because they both have guns and you kill things.

Borderlands is Fallout 3 - without the immersive story lines. But STALKER beat them both with the FPS/RPG idea,and did it far,far better.

<Criticize>
Borderlands wasn’t really open world, it just gave the illusion of it. It was more of a chain-loaded arena shooter. It looked to me as if the developers were trying to do a version of Fallout 3 on the Unreal engine, and having to make it cartoon dinky in order to hide its deficiencies.:p
</Criticize>

There were a lot of good things about STALKER. It had its weaknesses though. The main one, probably its downfall, was the dialogue. Yes, it could have beaten the others at many things, but because the dialog was mostly in text, you didn’t enough of characters (and they were good characters). The developers probably could not afford the voice actors and facial animation.:(

Fortnite has more in common with L4D and Minecraft than Borderlands.

Fallout was a copy of Wasteland. :D

“Fallout 3” was “Fallout” plus “The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion”. I understand that the rights to “Fallout” were paid for.:p

Nobody can steal from Borderlands because that cell 2D graphics look had been done before, plus the world design had been done before, plus the Unreal engine had been used so many times before, as it was designed for, as a chain-loaded arena-shooter. What is there to steal?:D

I love Borderlands, only thing I wish it had were more equipment slots and types, any word on what borderlands 2 will have different than 1? or is it just going to be a direct/indirect sequel and have the exact same equipment setup?

I love Borderlands, only thing I wish it had were more equipment slots and types, any word on what borderlands 2 will have different than 1? or is it just going to be a direct/indirect sequel and have the exact same equipment setup?

Let just say don't be too surprised if you see the Borderland 1 characters make an appearence.

As far as differences, I know weapons will be customizable now. Meaning you can change the scope or clip size or reduce recoil by adding a stock.

Isnt Borderlands just a complete rip-off of Hellgate London, just done better?

Quoted for every bit of truth! I said+thought the same things years ago and people thought I was crazy.

Seriously it's the boringest arena shooter I've ever played, other than Brink, and Brink looks better.

The single worst part about it is the speed at which everyone moves, it just kills the game. The W key gets impacted into the backboard with the pressure applied, but you just don't go anywhere at any speed, it's like geriatric paintball with blunderbusses. The reason for this is probably because of the crappy tiny size of the levels, but it just makes it completely lack the frantic fun of other arena shooters. Even the "speedy" class is fairly slow. I know they did it to make it easy and "accessible", but it makes it dull to play as you walker frame down a corridor for 15 minutes. The levels are all too small for proper long range battles, so it's close up action at walking pace. The aiming is a little...screwy too.

The cheap classes and random pay 2 win weapons means the balance is kind of screwy. Starting with all the weapons also means there isn't really any tactics/resource domination like in other gamemodes. Shit balance, shitty visuals, boring weapons, boring classes, shitty community, boring tiny levels...then they added micro transactions/p2w to kill it.

:p

You speak as though you have spent <10 hours actually playing TF2. While it isn't my cup of tea any longer, your statements about the game are completely wrong.

Back