Rampant Piracy Forces Dev To Give Away Game

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is a damn shame that people would rather pirate a game instead of coughing up a single dollar to support the developers. :( I guess the silver lining here is that the game is now free for Android phone owners.

However, even for one buck, the piracy rate is soooo giant, that we finally decided to provide DEAD TRIGGER for free. Anyway - DEAD TRIGGER is not FREEMIUM, it always was and still remains FREE-TO-PLAY, that means, all players are able to play it without IAP! We stand up for this statement, because all members of our team are playing (and enjoying) DEAD TRIGGER without IAP.

Could this be a sympathy based publicity stunt to get money for a game that no one plays?

Same old argument: Successful games are heavily pirated. Unsuccessful ones are not. You don’t get “Call of Duty”, “The Elder Scrolls”, “Angry Birds” etc complaining about piracy.:p

what ever... its a "freemium" game. I wouldn't even pay 1cent if i need to do IAP to play the damn game.

From Article Comments said:
It's not true! You put a free-to-play game but it wasn't free, it was a "pay-to-play". But a lot of people complain about that and at the end you put the game for free...

Looks to be a publicity stunt more than anything. Woes me

Never should have charged in the first place. Typical pay to win freemium garbage. Feel sorry for the suckers that paid money for this game. $5 says it's just like epic with unreal 3. Sold like shit and instead of realizing the game is a piece of shit just blamed pirates.

Doesn't matter how little you charge, if a game isn't even worth playing if it's free, you were not going to make anything on it.

This is probably more of an argument that Android is too open compared to iOS. Which is true, but that's why people love Android. It's not like people can't pirate on iPhones or iPads. All you gotta do is jailbreak and you've done half the work.

The truth is Apple owners do spend more money compared to Android owners. It's just a mentality sort of thing. They have no problem spending money for what others might consider to be junk. Majority of games for iOS and Android were originally flash based games anyway. Which means a lot of them can be found for free online on your PC.

Though I did just Google Dead Trigger and the game seems to be a zombie shooter. It looks graphically nice, but it's a generic run shoot sort of game. You just run around shooting zombies. Chances are you'll play the game for 5 minutes and quit. Gets boring fast.

Looks like a million other free Andriod games. Probably why no one bought it... But it was the pirates...

So they sold 1000 "copies" and had 1000 pirates which is "huge" ?

Whiny little bitches about "piracy"

I use GameCIH so I guess that makes me a bad guy. No way I'm paying for in game currency. They can kiss my ass.

Could this be a sympathy based publicity stunt to get money for a game that no one plays?

Same old argument: Successful games are heavily pirated. Unsuccessful ones are not. You don’t get “Call of Duty”, “The Elder Scrolls”, “Angry Birds” etc complaining about piracy.:p

Actually, this game is definitely worth its dollar. It is a lot of fun with great graphics.

Doesn't matter how little you charge, if a game isn't even worth playing if it's free, you were not going to make anything on it.

Wow, I find the excuses on here amazing. Have you even tried the game? It is very good and one of the top sellers on the IOS platform.

"Successful" apps generate somewhere between 3x to 5x the revenue on iOS compared to Android. Android users just don't spend money the the same rate that iOS users do. I think a lot of it has to do with fragmentation. iOS users know the games and apps will work, Android users are "pretty sure" the apps will work, but they cross their fingers.

Wow, I find the excuses on here amazing. Have you even tried the game? It is very good and one of the top sellers on the IOS platform.

I don't have anything against iOS-types, but I can't see myself doing something just because them (or any other subcultural population segment) is doing it.

Would it not be just as good on Android?

Phone games are all repetitive junkcrap regardless of platform. The best piece of repetitive junkcrap is hardly a glorious achievement.

The graphics may have got a little bettter, but phone games all seem stuck in the past. :(

A dollar is nothing. No one pirates a game to avoid paying a dollar. Money is over-rated as a factor in media piracy. IMHO, piracy is mostly about convenience.

Indeed.

That said, game doesn't look very good. I won't be getting this game, pay, free, or pirated.

I just downloaded it through the Play Store and it runs like total shit on my phone (yes it's an old POS - EVO 4G). The controls to turn aren't very accurate. Since they are charging for in game money and in game gold they should've made the game free from the get-go.

Just because they are successful, it's not ok and the developers shouldn't feel "ok" either due to the success. Pirates still make millions lost of revenue.

Same can be said for console games. Most of the time prices drop around 1-2 months after launch but people still pirate. Sad but the if they can't pay $1, they won't pay shit.

Does the iOS one also have in app purchases that basically require you to pay real money to make any progress in the game? That's what most people are bitching about - up front cost *AND* in app costs == wtf?

personally I don't understand app store piracy....
it's easier/faster to get games from the app store than it is to pirate them.
I can search for a game and download it in under a minute and it only costs a dollar...

movie/tv piracy is a different store since there is no ease of access and it is expensive.
I can see why the movie industry won't adapt to the new ways... it's because the new ways apparently don't work either, as proven by this.

personally I don't understand app store piracy....
it's easier/faster to get games from the app store than it is to pirate them.
I can search for a game and download it in under a minute and it only costs a dollar...

movie/tv piracy is a different store since there is no ease of access and it is expensive.
I can see why the movie industry won't adapt to the new ways... it's because the new ways apparently don't work either, as proven by this.

Tell that to valve, apple, or any of the app developers that make millions off of their apps.

Just because they are successful, it's not ok and the developers shouldn't feel "ok" either due to the success. Pirates still make millions lost of revenue.

Same can be said for console games. Most of the time prices drop around 1-2 months after launch but people still pirate. Sad but the if they can't pay $1, they won't pay shit.

It's a pay to win cash shop game there shouldn't have been a charge for the app to begin with. I don't believe for a second piracy is their problem. The problem is the app stores have been flooded with similar games since Apple and Google have allowed in app purchases. Doing well on the Apple app store does not mean it automatically does well on android. The game is simply not good, go play it.

I have seen other forums arguing the same things. When it comes down to the validity of their reasoning, it seems to depend on their ability to state exactly how many paid copies have been installed onto mobile computers, and, more importantly, how many unpaid copies have been installed onto mobile computers. According to the story going around the net, they seem be sourcing their information by just asking the developers how rampant they think that piracy is.

You know, there are a lot of FPS player types out there, school kids many of them. I can see how they may like to share that type of game between their mobile devices, just in case they need some FPS. I can also see that they may not play it much, or even at all, as they probably have better at home on their console or PC. Many people copy stuff, and never end up using it, and don’t pay anything for it. This is not unusual.

Why won’t they let the people, who want to pay for it, pay for it then?:eek:

Back