Studios: Piracy Halved Without Sending Any Infringement Notices

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the big name movies studios, piracy is *flips coin* down by half this month! Next week *shakes magic 8 ball* I see a resurgence in piracy. :rolleyes:

According to a submission made to the New Zealand government by the major studios, the mere threat of sending out an infringement warning halved movie piracy in less than a month. After years of battling for “3 strikes” the studios haven’t sent out a single warning, but nevertheless insist that to reduce piracy further they’ll have to send out thousands. The recording labels want to do the same at a greatly reduced cost, but the ISPs want to charge four times more than they do now.

"The recording labels want to do the same at a greatly reduced cost, but the ISPs want to charge four times more than they do now" *giggles*

There also happens to be nearly nothing on TV.
It's also summer, kids get outside and less on the computer.

This is because I have seen most of the movies already. All the new ones seem to have the same script as ones that I have already done. I think that the theory is that there are about a dozen different scripts in existence, all done by Shakespeare and Dickens (and perhaps Bible). All other scripts are just variations of those.

Protip: Current movie releases blow dogs for quarters ;) There isn't anything I would want to pirate right now either, isn't worth the money - OR - download time either :p

Could this have something to do with the lack of decent movies to pirate ;)

Maybe that's thier new anti-piracy plan... Make movies so bad that nobody will want to pirate them!

We get three strikes?

Hmmmm.

I can't think of any movie I'd want to pirate that I don't already have on DVD. And fuck Blu-Ray, upconverting > my desire to send any money Sony's way.

As a resident of New Zealand I can tell you that nobody I know has changed their download habits. There have been two guys who were up for their "third strike" but in both cases the studios forgot to send them out in the allotted time (which I'm pretty sure is 3 months from the "infringement" date), so nothing actually happened.

As a resident of New Zealand I can tell you that nobody I know has changed their download habits. There have been two guys who were up for their "third strike" but in both cases the studios forgot to send them out in the allotted time (which I'm pretty sure is 3 months from the "infringement" date), so nothing actually happened.

So they have detected half as many, then. Probably because half of them started to use a proxy server, to make themselves undetectable.:D

I agree with above posters, I'veillegallywatched all there is to watch. I think I hit the end of the internet. Going outside for the rest of the summer. Be back in fall.

Could this have something to do with the lack of decent movies to pirate ;) Maybe that's thier new anti-piracy plan... Make movies so bad that nobody will want to pirate them!
That policy has been in effect for years.

Back