Clean Your Damn Computer: Keyboard Edition

An easy way to clean all the keys is to take them off and dump them all in a sock and tie the open end. Then just toss it in the next load of laundry. As for under they keyboard... if it looks like that pic just buy a new keyboard.

I actually have a can of compressed air i use to regularly clean out mine, especially if i notice ants wandering nearby.

I recently got a chiclet keyboard. Still wondering how i'm supposed to clean it.

Ah c'mon, that can't be for real. That's gotta be from a keyboard that's been sitting up in an attic for 10 years or something.

Ah c'mon, that can't be for real. That's gotta be from a keyboard that's been sitting up in an attic for 10 years or something.
An attic would be lots of dustbunnies; that stuff is most likely years and years of dead skin falling from your fingers.

Meh, I don't think it's that fake. I occasionally (monthly?) toss my keyboard upside down and shake / bang the bottom against the desk a little to get most of my crumbs out - just don't do that for a couple years and thats what will happen.

If you don't clean under the keys... and you eat by and/or around your desk, that will happen to anyone here.

I actually have a can of compressed air i use to regularly clean out mine, especially if i notice ants wandering nearby.

I recently got a chiclet keyboard. Still wondering how i'm supposed to clean it.
Where the hell is your workstation that you have to worry about ants wandering by? Ant baits and boric acid, homie!

Where the hell is your workstation that you have to worry about ants wandering by? Ant baits and boric acid, homie!

Better still, carve a trench in your desk around your keyboard, line it with a v-shaped metal channel and give it a constant source of fuel so you can encircle it in fire. That'll discourage most ants.

its a G15 like mine, I have something similar from smoke ash but I always clean it.

If you don't clean under the keys... and you eat by and/or around your desk, that will happen to anyone here.
Even if you don't eat around your desk, this is not unusual to see over a longer period of time. Dander and other particles are simply bound to get caught up under the keys.

Hey spilled a crap load of coffee over his keyboard. This is what it looks like when it solidifies with sugar and creamer. I've down the same.

I have two cats, and they love to get my attention by sitting on the keyboard. Now THAT is fun to clean...

yuck! I mean how hard is it to unscrew the back of the keyboard, pull out the electronics, and put the rest in a dishwasher? Hell, I use that method to clean my cases as well!

Clean my keyboard once every few weeks or so. The nicer things about Apple's scissor keyboards:

1) Short keys and plenty of space between keys makes cleaning a breeze
2) White keys and silver aluminum, so it's easy to tell when it's reached the point where it's too dirty
3) Doesn't ever appear dusty, unlike my Filco

Damn is there a hamster buried in there somewhere?

Did a parakeet make a nest in that thing?

Sick.

Reminds me of when I spilled a bowl of Hot & Sour soup on my keyboard...Washed it off and it was fine though!

omg did you vomit in your keyboard?? looking at that picture makes we want to vomit!

At my last job we had some disgusting people. I swear these people would eat all kinds of nasty stuff at their desk and then use their keyboards. I have even seen some of them use it as a plate! They'd leave or get laid off and the keyboard would go back into inventory. Then we'd have to try and clean up the keyboard and issue it to some poor new hire. Some of these keyboards I just couldn't let out of inventory on good faith.

We had a budget of $2k for each new hire. Of course we could never use it. I got close to convincing the CIO to let us toss some of the nasty ones and just buy a case of new keyboards and mice at <=$15/set for us to issue as necessary. The "I" in CIO stood for "idiot"; he'd blow $10k/mo on something stupid and $50k at least once a year on some software package we'd never use. Also, the argument of it would cost less for them to issue new keyboards and mice to each new hire than it would to have the PFY spend an hour or more cleaning this nasty stuff fell on his Idiocy's deaf ears.

come on! That's nothing!! Usualy when u remove the keys that stuff comes out in 1 full weave. Hair and skin cells keeping it together.

come on! That's nothing!! Usualy when u remove the keys that stuff comes out in 1 full weave. Hair and skin cells keeping it together.
just be careful, if you wait just a little longer and it'll fight back!

This is why the K90's design is pretty awesome. no "well" for the crud to get stuck in, just blast underneath with some canned air and it all just shoots right out.

Looking that this picture reminds me of a toaster tray. When you clean your toaster, there was a tray you could slide out to clean that captured all the crumbs. Someone needs to build a catch all tray for keyboards that slides out. :)

Better still, carve a trench in your desk around your keyboard, line it with a v-shaped metal channel and give it a constant source of fuel so you can encircle it in fire. That'll discourage most ants.
Looks like a desk mod waiting to happen! Hmm, butane, propane or acetylene, decisions, decisions...

Looking that this picture reminds me of a toaster tray. When you clean your toaster, there was a tray you could slide out to clean that captured all the crumbs. Someone needs to build a catch all tray for keyboards that slides out. :)
This!!!

:D

To be clear Steve, this wasn't mine keyboard. I found this on another forum where a member were complaining about his "sticky keys"

Now everybody thinks I have this disgusting keyboard :(

Back