China's Online Population Rockets to 538 million

HardOCP News

[H] News
A government sanctioned group in China claims that the country's online population is now 538 million (112 million if you don't count gold farmers). ;)

China has seen a massive growth in online users, an 11 percent increase on a year ago, according to the China Internet Network Information Center. The government-sanctioned group's report published online showed the number of Internet-connected users in China rose to 538 million by the end of June, up from 485 million in 2011.

I wonder if they let households have more than 1 ki... err, I mean more than 1 connections.

You can make fun of their efforts at population control all you want, but the fact is the West has NEVER had to deal with this kind of problem. Judging something one's society does not have experience with is, well, very...American. Just one more reason the world hates us. GG bro.

That is just a massive amount of people concentratred in an area...

You can make fun of their efforts at population control all you want, but the fact is the West has NEVER had to deal with this kind of problem. Judging something one's society does not have experience with is, well, very...American. Just one more reason the world hates us. GG bro.

You have no clue as to where I grew up, what my culture is, my nationality, the color of my skin, etc... Don't start making assumptions and classifying me as something I may or may not be without having a single fact. GG bro.

>Dude your assumptions about what the world is thinking is why I assume the world hates us.:rolleyes:

Nobody hates America. By % of population i'd say a good chunk of the world loves America. But either way they feel, it's still better than most of the world not even knowing your country exists, like Curaçao. How do you even pronounce that.

In conclusion, there was a traffic accident in a small chinese village. Thousands of people died.

You have no clue as to where I grew up, what my culture is, my nationality, the color of my skin, etc... Don't start making assumptions and classifying me as something I may or may not be without having a single fact. GG bro.

Facts. Talks like an American. Has behaved in a manner befit an American. Holds an opinion typical of Americans. Given all of the above, you seem rather American. Definitely westernized. What more facts are necessary to express the opinion that your opinion is one which is typical of Americans, Western Nations, which do not have experience in this matter.

If all you want to do is chime in that typical American indignation of a 1 child policy then you should expect to be treated accordingly. Expecting otherwise, is, well, it's very American.

>Dude your assumptions about what the world is thinking is why I assume the world hates us.:rolleyes:

Nobody hates America. By % of population i'd say a good chunk of the world loves America. But either way they feel, it's still better than most of the world not even knowing your country exists, like Curaçao. How do you even pronounce that.

In conclusion, there was a traffic accident in a small chinese village. Thousands of people died.

I talk with a lot of europeans on a regular basis. Perhaps hate wasn't the right word. More like despise or pity. Strongly dislike. They visit American, some live here, some have lived here, some have no interest in bothering with this country. One thing is common between my interactions with them however. They have had very little if nothing to say positive about America's involved in international affairs.

So, I suppose it wasn't right to say the world hates us. My haste to post betrays me. So, I'll correct myself. The world, really, really, really doesn't like us.

I'm American. In my experience with people I've met outside the US, it's not that they don't like is, but rather they just think we're sorta retarded.

Yes, this too. Was talking to this chick in the UK. She was telling me about how incomprehensible it is that people are allowed to publicly voice racism towards others. She was telling me about this woman who was using racial slurs against some people in a train, she posted the video on youtube. She was..fined or arrested, can't remember. Basically, there's laws against doing this, yet in the US, no one would think twice. There'd be calls of 'free speech' as if being able to insult and degrade other human beings should be a freedom worth having.

In short, yes, almost all of them think we're retarded.

With good reason. I mean really, have you gone into your local Wal-Mart lately? *shivers*

Oh without a doubt! I can't believe most of the shit that goes down in this country, but apparently me and everyone I know are the minority swimming in an ocean of retards.

Oh without a doubt! I can't believe most of the shit that goes down in this country, but apparently me and everyone I know are the minority swimming in an ocean of retards.

I think it's actually a combination of occasional stupid things that nearly everyone does once in a while and a small portion of the population that remain function, but borderline mentally handicapped while remaining among normal society that catches media attention. Combine that with various foreign policies (which I am so not intending to derail this thread with) and you get a negative global view in which other societies look at us and shake their heads in dismay.

But on topic...isn't 538 million only about 40% of China's population. I bet that, percentage wise, that's a lot lower than other nations and I'm pretty sure the usage model of a rural Chinese family is different than a suburban American family when it comes to the Internet.

I think I saw on the news that they have to pay a fine if they have more than one, and if they can't afford it.... then they take the kid away \ do really late abortions.

Back