Microsoft Reports Record 4Q and Full-Year Revenue

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. today announced quarterly revenue of $18.06 billion for the quarter ended June 30, 2012. Operating income and loss per share for the quarter were $192 million and $0.06 per share.

The financial results reflect the previously announced non-cash, non-tax-deductible income statement charge of $6.19 billion for the impairment of goodwill and the deferral of $540 million of revenue related to the Windows Upgrade Offer. Adjusting for these items, non-GAAP fourth quarter revenue, operating income, and earnings per share were $18.60 billion, $6.93 billion, and $0.73 per share, which represented increases of 7%, 12%, and 6%, respectively, over the prior year period.

This quarter was the company's first ever quarterly loss since it went public in 1986.

Well it wasn't exactly a loss. Even with the aQuantive write down which isn't really a loss they deferred $540M from the Windows Upgrade offer so they actually intentionally posted a loss. But Microsoft has historically deferred Windows upgrade revenues of new versions of Windows into the launch quarter of that new version.

But the number that caught my eye was the $540M from the Windows Upgrade Offer. How is that possible? I can't be counting that right, at $15 a pop that's already 36.000.000 Windows 8 upgrades, in only one month. If that math is right, maybe Windows 8 will do better than some are thinking.

But the number that caught my eye was the $540M from the Windows Upgrade Offer. How is that possible? I can't be counting that right, at $15 a pop that's already 36.000.000 Windows 8 upgrades, in only one month. If that math is right, maybe Windows 8 will do better than some are thinking.

The upgrade is $40.

The upgrade is $40.

But that doesn't go on sale until the launch of Windows 8 and wasn't offered until this month so it couldn't be part of that $540M. The $15 offer started June 2nd for all purchasers of new Windows 7 PCs.

Back