A Closer Look At The Ouya Reference Board

HardOCP News

[H] News
John Gatt, long time friend of the [H] and all around nice guy, has taken a closer look at the Ouya reference board that powers the recently Kickstarted Android based game console.

I spent over ten years working with chipset developers and have a good understanding of product development. What was shown in the video is what is referred to as a reference board; a board designed by the chipset manufacturer to allow potential customers to develop projects without having to produce their own mainboard first. A reference board will usually have all the possible chipset options on it but will not include extra chips like high end audio chips from Creative, or wireless network chips, or even high end USB controllers. Reference boards are developed specifically for technology development of features related to the chipset.

That looks like it has about $40 in parts, nearly all for the Tegra chip and the memory.

WOW, computing power has gotten cheap.

Rather see those audio ports gone and double the memory and usb ports instead.

Sounds like they are really taking the smart path on design. Of course the platform and its OS will be the real issue. Android is a great platform but I don't know if its robust enough to really SERIOUSLY game on.

Guess we'll see.

Just add Ethernet to the Ouya, and I'm happy.
People don't seem to understand adding more means more cost passed on the end user.

I'm still skeptical about this thing, as far as its success as a gaming console goes.

But I guess in any case, you'll at least get a mini computer for $99, lol.

I will probably turn mine into a HTPC or a Arcade emulator.

I will probably turn mine into a HTPC or a Arcade emulator.

thats why im on the fence... i would love an HTPC or even an arcade emulator... but i have the feeling it will be a lot of modification.

I got one of these gaming systems in the mail yesterday, its called a google nexus 7 tablet, complete with all those same specs and a bluetooth game controller

so why the hell would i wait years to buy a console when i have the same machine in my hand right now??

:D

I'm still skeptical about this thing, as far as its success as a gaming console goes.

But I guess in any case, you'll at least get a mini computer for $99, lol.
This is a pretty exciting bit of tech for any game developer (or anyone who wants to get into game development, really). The PC's always been there and available as a solid way for amateur developers to get their games out to just about anyone, on monitors or on TVs, but the opportunity to develop for a fixed hardware target console hasn't really existed before this thing. To me, that makes it pretty interesting.

Just add Ethernet to the Ouya, and I'm happy.
People don't seem to understand adding more means more cost passed on the end user.

they did yesterday ;)

Actually I would like to see the audio out taken away and some sort of digital audio out put in it's place (coax or optical). Since it is going to be a gaming system people are probably not going to be plugging earbuds into it and a digital audio out port would benefit people who split video and audio portions (i.e. hdmi to tv and digital audio to receiver).

So it's basically a generic tegra3 android without a built in display, digitizer or case. I like it.

I got one of these gaming systems in the mail yesterday, its called a google nexus 7 tablet, complete with all those same specs and a bluetooth game controller

so why the hell would i wait years to buy a console when i have the same machine in my hand right now??

:D

Because, for some people, playing games on a big 60+ inch TV is just more fun than squinting at a 7" tablet. Also, some games still don't lend themselves all that well to a tablet's touch interface (just as some don't work all that great with a game controller either).

Because, for some people, playing games on a big 60+ inch TV is just more fun than squinting at a 7" tablet. Also, some games still don't lend themselves all that well to a tablet's touch interface (just as some don't work all that great with a game controller either).

Haven't taken the time to research on the Nexus 7, but I'm guessing by your reply there's no HDMI-out capability on this device?

Back