Facebook Stock Drops On News Of User Decline

HardOCP News

[H] News
Following the trend of its user base, Facebook's stock continues to drop. Wait until the company deletes all the fake/dupe/spam accounts. :D

U.S. users decreased 1.1 percent over the past six months, Rory Maher, an analyst at Capstone, said in a report today. Of 23 countries where Facebook had at least 50 percent market penetration, growth was little changed or down in 14 nations over the past three months, he said.

From my observations, seems that people are posting less often.

I rarely post and when I do, as well as tweet, it is something worthwhile for everyone to read.

I am not surprised if their usage is going down.

As more people realize what they post on FB has a better chance of hurting them than anything else, you will see defection.

There of course will be people who continue to use it as a platform to bitch and moan, post drunken pics, and update everyone on their farmville status....but most of them aren't destined for greatness anyway. ;)

Not having a FB profile is a great way to pick up chicks too.

As more people realize what they post on FB has a better chance of hurting them than anything else, you will see defection.

There has been over 2 million in theft due to facebook. stupid teenagers posting information on FB cost close to over 11 families to loose there stuff (yep got robbed of everything)

There has been over 2 million in theft due to facebook. stupid teenagers posting information on FB cost close to over 11 families to loose there stuff (yep got robbed of everything)

WTF does "close to over 11 families" mean? Was it 10? 11.25?

I honestly don't see why there is a hate trend twords facebook. For the most part FB is generally neutral in our lives. I have facebook and honestly am on it for maybe 20 minutes a day and I'm not seeing why this thing generates so much hate, especially from those that claim they don't use it.

I honestly don't see why there is a hate trend twords facebook. For the most part FB is generally neutral in our lives. I have facebook and honestly am on it for maybe 20 minutes a day and I'm not seeing why this thing generates so much hate, especially from those that claim they don't use it.
It's mostly people who are dissatisfied about their social lives and that hate people.....in my experience

Having logged in today to track down an old friend, I found that yet again Facebook had forced their @facebook email address into my profile. For the third time I had to disable that damn thing and recheck all my security and account settings. Of course it is declining; the more they tighten their grip the more users slip through their fingers.

I don't think there will be a fourth round of corrections. I'll likely delete my account and leave a placeholder so that no one can 'claim' it and forget their service ever existed.

No big deal, they lost only $21B of capitalization in the past two months.
At this rate, FB will be worth almost nothing by the end of the year. That will be the time to buy!

Because it represents everything thats wrong with people. Self-absorption, narcissism, the phony 1000 friend list, the belief that anyone gives a rat fuck what you had for breakfast, or how hard you parties over the weekend. Oh oh oh, make sure to include a picture of you holding that mixed drink, that way people know you are social and drink what you are out!

Ruoh said:

WTF does "close to over 11 families" mean? Was it 10? 11.25?

:D:D It's only 9am but i'm pretty sure that's the greatest thing i will read all day.

It's mostly people who are dissatisfied about their social lives and that hate people.....in my experience
Basically. In a computer nerd forum, the audience is largely made up self-entitled socially apprehensive know-it-alls that can't see life much farther than their LCD screen and l337 computer rigs. FB is a tool. You can do great things with it and stupid things with it. It's up to you. Then you got the age old situation of people hating something they never used.

Because it represents everything thats wrong with people. Self-absorption, narcissism, the phony 1000 friend list, the belief that anyone gives a rat fuck what you had for breakfast, or how hard you parties over the weekend. Oh oh oh, make sure to include a picture of you holding that mixed drink, that way people know you are social and drink what you are out!

The thing that amazes is that Facebook is controlled by the people YOU add as friends. If that is your experience, then you have only yourself to blame. Maybe your friends are the self-absorbed, narcissistic types that just post pictures of what they drank last night or how hard they partied last weekend.

Maybe your friends are the self-absorbed, narcissistic types that just post pictures of what they drank last night or how hard they partied last weekend.

Or, maybe, that's simply the way most people act when given a stage and audience they suppose has some interest in what they're doing.

part of the issue to me is, like myspace, they also just keep adding more and more crap that is annoying to the users. Like someone posts a link, it seems interesting to me so I click it. I am then shown a popup that says I can't go to the link unless I accept that I share some information..

More and more junk that nobody wants, changes nobody wants and you wonder the decline. I see with my profile, less and less people who are in my friends list seem to use it anymore. Much less posting of stupid annoying stuff.

Like people started getting annoyed with themselves and started posting just photos and actual posts that are interesting to discuss. No more "Oh my gawd, I woke up" - 2 minutes later - "Oh my gawd I ate breakfast"

most of us detest facebook, most people with any sense of knowledge when it comes to the internet and privacy issues detest facebook

the problem is most folks who have no clue about computers or the internet love facebook because it's so simple to use. My mother, My Aunts, My Grandparents they all do nothing else online besides facebook.

It's not going anywhere unless something else geared towards the general public and simplicity comes to replace it.

Basically. In a computer nerd forum, the audience is largely made up self-entitled socially apprehensive know-it-alls that can't see life much farther than their LCD screen and l337 computer rigs. FB is a tool. You can do great things with it and stupid things with it. It's up to you. Then you got the age old situation of people hating something they never used.

LOL, a fairly accurate description of the situation. For anyone that has friends/family/whatever overseas, FB is great. I don't have to send emails to bunch of people, I post pics of their grandson/cousin/etc and everyone can keep up. They get excited that he had his first swim lesson, blah blah blah. Anyone who has in-laws can appreciate not having the hassle of having to stay in constant communication with everyone in the family. It's a tool. Just like I like to say that guns don't kill people, people do, facebook isn't fucked up, a lot of people who post on it are :D

I used to frequent FB a couple time a day just to see what folks were up to but lately its turned into Spam Book. Half my news feed is fucking spam and its not worth it to dig thru the 50 adds or sponsored links or just spam posts anymore. Now I check in a couple times a week.

I know they gotta make money but when you make 3/4 of the content as ads, eventually you wont have anything. Same thing is happening with TV. I almost never watch TV anymore because over half the show is commercials. I was flipping thru a Flex magazine the other day and literally every other page was a full page ad and every page had a small ad on it. Commercials and ads are killing everything. I don't understand the line of thinking that thinks having the majority of content being ads is a good thing.

There is a small populatioin of FB users that use FB to stay in touch with and inform people they genuinely care about. I accept that.
The VAST majority are self absorbed losers desperate to spew their dumbass opinions to other people who don't give a shit about their opinion because they are too busy spewing their own BS opinion. (sort of like this post right here)
Phoney profile pictures and hook-ups etc etc. it is amazing bullshit. people are getting fatigued with it and I know more and more people dropping off and waiting for the next thing. It may not die a sudden death but it will diminish. Whatever is next will be FAR FAR WORSE.

Time line sucks, getting it through Zuckerburgs head may be the problem!

It'll be hilarious when Zuckerburg think's he can keep Facebook on top 5 years from now and doesn't cash out, and whines up broke.

It'll be hilarious when Zuckerburg think's he can keep Facebook on top 5 years from now and doesn't cash out, and whines up broke.

Perhaps the expression "Pulling a Digg" will be replaced by "Pulling a Facebook."

There is a small populatioin of FB users that use FB to stay in touch with and inform people they genuinely care about. I accept that.
The VAST majority are self absorbed losers desperate to spew their dumbass opinions to other people who don't give a shit about their opinion because they are too busy spewing their own BS opinion. (sort of like this post right here)
Phoney profile pictures and hook-ups etc etc. it is amazing bullshit. people are getting fatigued with it and I know more and more people dropping off and waiting for the next thing. It may not die a sudden death but it will diminish. Whatever is next will be FAR FAR WORSE.

i bet the vast majority don't even use FB. I always see dead abandoned profile pages.

suckerberg can say whatever he wants about having 900 million "active users", but we all know it's bullshit. more than half of them didn't even login to their page in the last 60 days.

I wonder if logging into OTHER websites with your facebook username counts as being "active".

i bet the vast majority don't even use FB. I always see dead abandoned profile pages.

suckerberg can say whatever he wants about having 900 million "active users", but we all know it's bullshit. more than half of them didn't even login to their page in the last 60 days.

I wonder if logging into OTHER websites with your facebook username counts as being "active".
FB has claimed that over half their user base logs in at least once a day

it's all a facade. Right now, advertisers are taking a gamble and spending money on facebook, hence the revenue.
But sooner or later, the advertisers will realize that facebook's 900 million users are actually worthless in terms of clickthrus, conversions, and actual product purchases.

I'm not sure why people think only losers use Facebook because it seems to be the opposite from when I run into people out at bars and clubs and parties. in fact, it's far more easier to get someone's facebook info than a phone number--at least when I was single that was the case. it's the advice I give to people I know who are just learning how to be more sociable, too. It's easier for them to pass around facebook information instead of asking a woman for her phone number. in fact, the few times that someone actually exchanges numbers it usually becomes a text of, "what's your Facebook?" instead of some long conversation about personal interests and upcoming plans

Back