Washington to Unveil Voter Registration On Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
Two things that should never, ever, ever be mentioned in the same sentence...Facebook and voter registration. :eek:

Once it's live, Facebook users can click on the application within the secretary of state's Facebook page. They'll need to agree to let Facebook access their information, which will be used to prefill their name and date of birth in the voter registration form. Users will still need to provide a driver's license or state ID card number to continue.

You gotta be shitting me....

Big Brother watching our daily lives on Facebook!!! It's already starting to show itself! ;)

I see the other way around. How can you verify that a facebook user is a real person? It's a completely blind process and could lead to serious vote tampering.

I don't think this is a big deal. Washington had had online registration since 2008. It's a natural progression to let people access the registration service online. Same thing with tons of other websites, you can either login directly or you can connect with Facebook (even MySpace LOL).

Someone try and explain to me why this is a big deal/bad thing.

I see the other way around. How can you verify that a facebook user is a real person? It's a completely blind process and could lead to serious vote tampering.

You have to provide a driver's license or a state ID number. Same as with regular online registration AFAIK.

Lets create million of dummy accts on FB, then create millions of fake licences.. then lets vote these tards out :D

All this does is use Facebook to format a webform (pre-filling what it can with Facebook data). It makes no difference what site is hosting the webform so long as it's secured and sent directly to the state.

Honestly I don't mind this at all. People are idiots, and if it takes a Facebook page to get people to fulfill their civic duty I'm down with that.

doesn't facebook require identification now? How are they gonna register all those dead mexican illegals on facebook???

Are prospective candidates so desperate for votes that they'll go full retard to get them? :confused:

After all the BS Holder is doing in Texas...You have to produce a form of identification? What a concept.

Don't really see the problem here. It's no different than online voter registration that has been around forever, it just fills in your name for you basically. Little more than a glorified link to an outside site.

A valid state I'd is still needed. And must correlate to the submitted online info.

And for the umpteenth time: voter registration is not the same as voting.

In the USA vote tampering is so rare as to be statistical noise. But it makes an excellent boogeyman to enable voter suppression. And that is far worse than imaginary voter "fraud."

I really don't understand what the big deal is. This isn't any easier or harder to fake than a mail-in registration.

Someone try and explain to me why this is a big deal/bad thing.
People here seem to flip out at anything even remotely associated with Facebook. It's not clear to me why.

Lets create million of dummy accts on FB, then create millions of fake licences.. then lets vote these tards out :D
What exactly would lead you to believe that a state couldn't verify the legitimacy of its own driver's licenses?

I guess people are too lazy to fill out forms now.
You don't use browser autofill? Ever?

All this does is use Facebook to format a webform (pre-filling what it can with Facebook data). It makes no difference what site is hosting the webform so long as it's secured and sent directly to the state.

Honestly I don't mind this at all. People are idiots, and if it takes a Facebook page to get people to fulfill their civic duty I'm down with that.

And you actually want to make it easier for idiots to vote?

It's a Democrat-controlled state. They don't worry about vote fraud here, because they figure it works out in their favor anyway.

Now if they could only get their REGULAR online voting registration fixed I'd be happy, I've been trying to use it for 4 days and apparently the equivalent of the DMV (DOL) is slow or non-responsive online too. :p

I will fulfill my civic duty when I have something other than bought politicians and bigots to vote for. Until then it doesn't matter who is in office because the same corrupt bs is just going to keep happening. The "lesser of two evils" is no longer an acceptable choice.

Also I forgot to add that many states do not allow for a requirement of state issued ID as a means to verify voting. The "Republican" argument is that it purposefully excludes minority groups because they tend to be poor even if the state ID is provided free. Or at least that is the argument that happened down here in Georgia some years back (so glad I am moving out of this retarded state). So in reality there is literally few if any real controls to prevent rampant voter fraud through this system. That is why this is an unfathomably retarded idea. Hell, many states have trouble controlling voter fraud through the currently controlled electronic voting systems. Anyone who thinks that doing it over the internet is somehow going to be any better than that needs their head checked.

Disclaimer - Mentioning the republican party was only because it was only that party down here that argued that. I personally think both parties are corrupt beyond recovery so I do not have a personal bias in favor of one or the other. I feel the need to mention this before some mouthbreathing idiot reads two words of what I wrote and proceeds to think I am somehow attacking only his idiot of choice.

Also I forgot to add that many states do not allow for a requirement of state issued ID as a means to verify voting. The "Republican" argument is that it purposefully excludes minority groups because they tend to be poor even if the state ID is provided free. Or at least that is the argument that happened down here in Georgia some years back (so glad I am moving out of this retarded state). So in reality there is literally few if any real controls to prevent rampant voter fraud through this system. That is why this is an unfathomably retarded idea. Hell, many states have trouble controlling voter fraud through the currently controlled electronic voting systems. Anyone who thinks that doing it over the internet is somehow going to be any better than that needs their head checked.

Disclaimer - Mentioning the republican party was only because it was only that party down here that argued that. I personally think both parties are corrupt beyond recovery so I do not have a personal bias in favor of one or the other. I feel the need to mention this before some mouthbreathing idiot reads two words of what I wrote and proceeds to think I am somehow attacking only his idiot of choice.

What state is that? In Texas it is the oppisite same in Arizona the Demecratic party is going bananas to stop any form of voter ID laws.

Jeez how many of the posters up in arms actually read the article? Let go of the partisan, boilerplate rhetoric, take a breath, and read the article.

Once it's live, Facebook users can click on the application within the secretary of state's Facebook page. They'll need to agree to let Facebook access their information, which will be used to prefill their name and date of birth in the voter registration form. Users will still need to provide a driver's license or state ID card number to continue.

1) This is voter registration, not voting. It will still require driver's license or state ID to register.
2) It is just an overlay on FB.

Hamlin said that Facebook doesn't have access to the state's database; its page just overlays the application. Voters will also be able to access the state's "My Vote" site with specific information on candidates and ballot measures.

You have to provide a driver's license or a state ID number. Same as with regular online registration AFAIK.

So now it'll be even easier for people to use other people's stolen license #'s to register to vote with... yay!

Jeez how many of the posters up in arms actually read the article? Let go of the partisan, boilerplate rhetoric, take a breath, and read the article.

1) This is voter registration, not voting. It will still require driver's license or state ID to register.

This is the entire problem..many states have shot down these kinds of requirements as unfair to certain demographic groups. It will get taken to court and likely end up getting thrown out in many states as well. This is the inherit problem with our system as it stands now. It needs to be either allowable in all states equally or none at all.

What state is that? In Texas it is the oppisite same in Arizona the Demecratic party is going bananas to stop any form of voter ID laws.

This, it's the Democrats going nuts trying to stop any form of voter ID laws. Never mind that it's free to get one, it excludes people supposedly.

You dont currently need any form of ID to register if I recall in Ca. You fill the card out at the DMV or with one of those crooked voter registration guys but I have never been asked for ID.

This, it's the Democrats going nuts trying to stop any form of voter ID laws. Never mind that it's free to get one, it excludes people supposedly.

I am just saying who went nuts about it here..I don't personally care. I hate both parties equally. As for voter registration, frankly if you can't be bothered to go get a free state ID, then frankly you can't possibly have enough knowledge of the issues to vote properly and shouldn't be voting. Fortunately our country guarantees the right to vote for every citizen no matter how much of a retard they are. The double edged sword of my life, I love that this country protects those rights but seriously wish there was a way to stop some of the tards that vote from doing so. :D

A valid state I'd is still needed. And must correlate to the submitted online info.

And for the umpteenth time: voter registration is not the same as voting.

In the USA vote tampering is so rare as to be statistical noise. But it makes an excellent boogeyman to enable voter suppression. And that is far worse than imaginary voter "fraud."

^^ Exactly. Seriously, when did we become such a scared country? Next thing we'll see our own shadow and get scared.

I am just saying who went nuts about it here..I don't personally care. I hate both parties equally. As for voter registration, frankly if you can't be bothered to go get a free state ID, then frankly you can't possibly have enough knowledge of the issues to vote properly and shouldn't be voting. Fortunately our country guarantees the right to vote for every citizen no matter how much of a retard they are. The double edged sword of my life, I love that this country protects those rights but seriously wish there was a way to stop some of the tards that vote from doing so. :D

Heh :D. Yeah, wasn't meaning to sound like I was challenging anything, was just stating my own opinion separately after making the correction :).

Back