Court Hammers Fry’s for Discovery Abuses in EEOC Harassment Suit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, this lawsuit against Fry's has more twists and turns than a low budget legal drama on cable TV. Thanks to [H] forum member satsunada for the link.

A federal judge ordered sanctions on July 3, 2012, including a $100,000 penalty, against Fry’s Electronics, Inc., due to its actions in a sexual harassment and retaliation lawsuit brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the agency announced. The penalized behavior includes intentionally withholding evidence, raising a “fallacious” argument and demonstrating a “disturbing lack of candor to the tribunal.” According to U.S. District Court Judge Robert S. Lasnik, “The Court finds that defendant’s conduct in this respect was unfair, unwarranted, unprincipled, and unacceptable.”

They were too busy streaming p0rn, just just forgot... Cause they know if they download it, they will get sued again.

According to U.S. District Court Judge Robert S. Lasnik, “The Court finds that defendant’s conduct in this respect was unfair, unwarranted, unprincipled, and unacceptable.”

Yes, but was it illegal? ;)

Yes withholding evidence during discovery is illegal per the SCOTUS decision in Brady v. Maryland. The problem is that is rarely punished and when it is, it is usually small punitive damages. The worst offenders of this in last 10 years have been the Federal government, who have knowingly withheld exculpatory evidence in thousands of cases.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission? Wait did someone who wasn't an Indian try to get a job and get denied at Fry's?

(Note: This may be a local thing, but every Fry's around here is primarily Indian worked)

Not surprised really, they only time Fry's is worried about what staff are doing is when it involves the store being ripped off financially, everything else gets swept under the rug, and complaints don't get any further than the circular filing system at head office.

And their security system at the store I worked at, was older than moses we had to give the camera control unit to one of the old guys working in the service department as he was the only one that new how to fix the 25 year old POS. And it wouldn't surprise me if the hard drive they stored the data on just failed, since they are still running a 25 year old SCSI server, and then the managers were always confused when we told that the SCSI type used is so old no one supplies that style anymore, heck SCSI Ultra Wide 2 is hard to find.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission? Wait did someone who wasn't an Indian try to get a job and get denied at Fry's?

(Note: This may be a local thing, but every Fry's around here is primarily Indian worked)

Same thing out here in Sacramento, and Roseville. "Corporate Culture" has a different meaning for this company.

bottom of the press release: EEOC v. Fry’s Electronics, Inc. is set for trial in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington beginning Nov. 5

I'm betting this is my local Renton, WA store :( High percentage of Asian/Pacific employees.

Are you in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area? Because that's the same thing I see out here.

Are you in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area? Because that's the same thing I see out here.
Nah, right in the smack dab (ok a tad north) of Silicon Valley. I recall during the great dot-com era Indians were already occupying close to 100% of visible employee jobs at Fry's. My guess is many of them came in droves for computer jobs (before they were outsourced) and regardless of the glamor of the news there really weren't THAT many jobs so they figured Fry's = Computer store so lets work there it's still "in the field". Microcenter or hell even Best Buy you don't see this level of one race working, it's a tad odd actually. Like maybe some higher up is Indian and has only be hiring "his people"

Back