Kingston Digital Ships Next-generation Secure USB Flash Drive

HardOCP News

[H] News
Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the second-generation of its popular DataTraveler® Locker+ secure USB Flash drive for consumers. The new, lower priced DataTraveler Locker+ G2 works interchangeably between Mac OS X and Windows systems and all data is secured with hardware-based encryption.

Users simply setup a password upon first use for access and the drive is as simple as plug and play with no extra software or partitions needed. The DataTraveler Locker+ G2 also features a password manager that allows users to store names and passwords for up to 20 accounts. The stylish, durable metal casing also features a key loop for easy attachment to a backpack, briefcase or purse.

Why is this necessary, when you can just encrypt the file system?

I prefer my USB sticks as just plain dumb drives, letting me set them up how I please instead. Any added features just reek of that U3 bs. that they put on USB sticks a few years ago, and was just a pain to have to remove...

I currently use a cheaper 16GB high-speed USB3 unit and TrueCrypt software. When the drive has high capacity, you are going to want something with decent transfer rates. 10MB/s read and 5MB/s write - just won’t hack it.

I was just looking at this one earlier today: -
http://www.ebuyer.com/386264-extra-value-64gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-ev-usb64gb-3-0
Extra Value 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
- Read speed up to 170MB/s
- Write speed up to 40MB/s
£20.98inc. vat & delivery

I currently use a cheaper 16GB high-speed USB3 unit and TrueCrypt software. When the drive has high capacity, you are going to want something with decent transfer rates. 10MB/s read and 5MB/s write - just won’t hack it.

I was just looking at this one earlier today: -
http://www.ebuyer.com/386264-extra-value-64gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-ev-usb64gb-3-0
Extra Value 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
- Read speed up to 170MB/s
- Write speed up to 40MB/s
£20.98inc. vat & delivery

One more thing: Create a TrueCrypt partition, have a password like a short sentence that you can remember, mount & format that partition in compressed NTFS. Use it to store sensitive document data. Compressed NTFS is good for that.

One more thing: Create a TrueCrypt partition, have a password like a short sentence that you can remember, mount & format that partition in compressed NTFS. Use it to store sensitive document data. Compressed NTFS is good for that.

One more other thing: Copy the TrueCrypt Program Files onto the USB drive. You can run TrueCrypt.exe from the USB drive. No need to install there. Good to carry around. Linux version also available.

Back