Cisco Drops Cloud From Default Router Settings

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is an update to the story we posted last week on that situation with Cisco routers. According to the company blog, Cisco is dropping its Connect Cloud service from the default router settings.

Since my last blog post, we’ve continued to receive questions about the service, privacy, and in particular the service terms of Cisco Connect Cloud. We believe lack of clarity in our own terms of service has contributed to many of our customers’ concerns, and we apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this has caused. We take responsibility for that lack of clarity, and we are taking steps to make this right.

Talk about back peddling...

I think it was the best idea in the world to auto-update and push router config/settings to the cloud by default. Everyone knows that if you have internet/router problems going to the cloud to fix it, is the best way to go. /s

I don't even want software/services installed. Web server editing or nothing. *waits for someone to say terminal editing or nothing*.

Caught red handed. Stupid Cisco.

Someone will prob get fired for that bonehead move.

Maybe I am confused here, but exactly how would you manage your router settings from the "Cloud",(By the way I hate that term it is a joke), if your router is experiencing issues and can't connect to the internet? Or was this just an alternate method? I must have missed the 1st story.

I think the problem here is that the person who made the decision about going to the cloud has no real world experience with routers. This is why you need to ask for input from your staff who actually have experience with them before making a major decision like that. This should hopefully be a wake up call for Cisco.

Any one else here really hate the term "Cloud"? I thought it was dumb before it became to go-to word...now seeing it everywhere all the time is just obnoxious!

If a customer chooses not to set up a Cisco Connect Cloud account, they can manage their router with the current local management software.
And will not receive any further firmware updates because newer firmware only supports Cisco Connect Cloud?!

Any one else here really hate the term "Cloud"? I thought it was dumb before it became to go-to word...now seeing it everywhere all the time is just obnoxious!

+1

Here here, you are not alone. Even worse is the people that don't really have a clue and talk about the cloud constantly like it hasn't been around since webmail (in most cases the word is used).

Google Chrome apps bug the living crap out of me too... Can't they just call them links???? (I know some may be a bit more featured but geez).

+1

Here here, you are not alone. Even worse is the people that don't really have a clue and talk about the cloud constantly like it hasn't been around since webmail (in most cases the word is used).

Google Chrome apps bug the living crap out of me too... Can't they just call them links???? (I know some may be a bit more featured but geez).

This made me LOL the first time I installed a Chrome "app"...I was like cool, free little games and progra...ChromeGamez.com what???

This whole apps and Cloud thing in general have just gotten out of hand and the terms are now meaningless to me.

Kudos for Cisco listening to it's customers and taking the blame. Now I can go back to using their products.

This whole apps and Cloud thing in general have just gotten out of hand and the terms are now meaningless to me.

Yeah the sad thing is, actual cloud computing back end systems are pretty cool tech, improving availability and redundancy. Its the freaking marketing lamers (and IT managers/directors that know little about tech) that borked the term to hell.

Kudos for Cisco listening to it's customers and taking the blame. Now I can go back to using their products.

To me it could potentially be half blackmail: We wont require you to get our cloud service features, in exchange you don't get any future updates.

Time to look for a manufacturer that wont compromise the hardware you paid for with silly bs of this sort.

This made me LOL the first time I installed a Chrome "app"...I was like cool, free little games and progra...ChromeGamez.com what???

I'm kind of pissed off about the whole Chrome Apps thing. Oh I can install an app from Chrome store but it's just a fucking redirect to an external site.

To me it could potentially be half blackmail: We wont require you to get our cloud service features, in exchange you don't get any future updates.

Time to look for a manufacturer that wont compromise the hardware you paid for with silly bs of this sort.

The post mentioned that you can not use the cloud service and still use the local management tools. I didn't mention restricting future upgrades. It did say they would provide local management tools as well.

The reason for all this backlash is not the internet history they were keeping. The main culprit was that they were blocking pr0n. Which in itself is removing the most important part of the web.

The reason for all this backlash is not the internet history they were keeping. The main culprit was that they were blocking pr0n. Which in itself is removing the most important part of the web.

Quoting a post that "went there" :)

The fact that they pushed an update to the routers which fundamentally changes how the user controls their device without asking "would you like to completely change your router's management scheme?" shows a profound lack of technical acumen.

It thoroughly smacks of a "pointy haired boss" decision.

Most IT people do hate it. Unless you're an IT manager, then you love it....

Back