Mario Kart On The Raspberry Pi With SNES Controllers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's always cool to see people doing stuff like this with the Raspberry Pi. I feel like a slacker, I've had mine for a while now and haven't even taken it out of the box. :(

Now he just needs to stick it in a SNES enclosure with working controller ports, and put every SNES ROM imaginable on there. :cool:

so they have an emulator working on a raspberry pi, whoopity?

It is pretty cool stuff and if you're into the whole emulation thing, this is another reason to play with an R-Pi.

Cool. I have an SNES emulator running on my Android tablet with a PS3 controller.

Not surprised they were able to port it over to another ARM system.

Yeah, you could slide, you just don't get the speed boost like you do in the later titles.

I knew that guy was gonna rage quit the second he picked Yoshi.:D DK or go home.

If I remember correctly, you could get a speed boost (i.e., air puff wings) by hopping from left to right while making the corners. That was fun. I miss Mario Kart for the SNES.

so they have an emulator working on a raspberry pi, whoopity?

Big whoopity. You can basically take a $25 Pi and turn it into one of the best gaming platforms ever. It does sweeten the deal of owning one.

LOL.. that guy is a helluva donkey kong driver. I loved toad. he just cut corners like nobody which was very useful in multi. Though i should have mastered donkey for single.

Dude is lacking some skills.

Also, is this device unable to handle N64 emulation? I think playing the REAL Mario Cart would be much cooler! :p

Jooooe, why is the N64 game more real than the SNES one? I'm pretty sure they both existed, you know.

The N64 version is commonly accepted as being the de facto version. I could go back and forth on it though, really.

This actually isn't that impressive. I've personally owned USB to SNES adaptors for years. Attaching one to a rasperry pi and running a linux snes emulator is not exactly a massive feat.

The N64 version is commonly accepted as being the de facto version. I could go back and forth on it though, really.

Thanks wonderfield! I never really got into either system much (except for Final Fantasy on the SNES) so yeah, I suppose I don't understand.

oh. the funny thing a true nintendo snes controller probably costs way more than the pi itself!

This reminds me of something... ;)

I love that snes pc. He really put some effort into it. I think what the raspberry pi could do is help projects like that to happen without as many of the hardware issues that the snes pc guy had. Perhaps we should ask the snes pc guy to put up an image of his drive so we can try run it on the pi

Why all the extra attachments? They make USB SNES controllers and you can just run Mario Kart from an emulator.....

Dude is lacking some skills.

Also, is this device unable to handle N64 emulation? I think playing the REAL Mario Cart would be much cooler! :p

Without Super Mario Kart, there would be no Mario Kart 64? :rolleyes:

It just needs Final Fantasies and that'd be good enough. :)

Bomberman... To this day I still think I spent more time playing that with friends than any other single game, Super Smash Bro. and Starcraft probably tie for second place. Zelda, Super Merroid, and Chrono Trigger are still as fun to play thru as the first time tho, kind of amazing how well those games hold up compared to more modern games from just 5-10 years ago.

Big whoopity. You can basically take a $25 Pi and turn it into one of the best gaming platforms ever. It does sweeten the deal of owning one.

You need to double check the actual take home price of owning a raspberry pi and actually having it completely working.

Uh yeah, Super Mario Kart removed the boys from the men. 64 just brought the boys back into the game.

Saying Mario Kart 64 was "the de facto" version is like saying Mario64 was the "de facto" version of Mario games.

There was no powerslide in Super Mario Kart for the SNES. :eek:

http://mariokart.wikia.com/wiki/Powerslide

SMK had it's own version of a powerslide so-to-speak. Basically you travel faster when going in a straight line, and sliding combined with the subsequent release of the slide would send you in a straight path. So in essence, you would still use the traditional power slide around every corner to improve your speed.

SMK had it's own version of a powerslide so-to-speak. Basically you travel faster when going in a straight line, and sliding combined with the subsequent release of the slide would send you in a straight path. So in essence, you would still use the traditional power slide around every corner to improve your speed.

Did you really just analyze the physics of a SNES game?

someone should put the emulator inside the controller itself, that would be impressive... just hook up controller to TV, maybe put a miscroSD card reader slot into the edge... battery powered... is it technically possible? or would they need something bigger like the n64 controller?

someone should put the emulator inside the controller itself, that would be impressive... just hook up controller to TV, maybe put a miscroSD card reader slot into the edge... battery powered... is it technically possible? or would they need something bigger like the n64 controller?

Well considering your cellphone can emulation N64 games, it should be very easy to put an emulator into a game controller. I think some obscure japanese company actually did something similar to this. You could plug in entire SNES cartridges or something. Although this is still all kinda silly considering you can just emulate on your pc, with multiplayer, and a whole host of graphics fx, all for free.

Back