Apple Sued Again In China

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple is being sued again in China, this time its over an apparent Siri patent infringement. The company also claims that it filed a complaint with Apple but the company has ignored it. Now that doesn't sound like something Apple would do, does it? :D

Zhi Zhen Internet Technology holds a patent for a Chinese language voice system that is used on its Xiao i service. It claims that it issued a complaint to Apple in May but did not receive a response. A company spokesman also added that the Chinese tech company had applied for its patent as far back as 2004, with the lawsuit filed as a way to stop Apple from infringing on its technology and force it to bear all costs associated with its litigation.

Why does Apple keep stealing tech ideas from China and bringing them to the US without licensing the use of the stuff first? We know they have a lot of business contact in China to design their computers and manufacture their products, but they've been in the news for a lot of patent infringement lately. At the end of the article, it mentions they also stole the Snow Leopard name. :(

Apple is doing a lot of what MS did in the 80's and 90's, strong arm everyone and pay off the lawsuits with increased income or keep them in court for so long the case either drops or the company goes bankrupt.

Don't think they can do this in China though.

China only gives a shit about IP when its owned by a Chinese company.

I don't feel sorry for Apple (or any of these large companies shot gunning patents), they give as good as they get. They tried to patent "swipe to unlock".:rolleyes:

All these software patents are just blocking small developers from releasing software.

That makes sense. Why would China want to protect the interests of a company in Turkey or Sudan? They'd expect that their respective governments would deal with litigation and due process instead of making China have to take a Turkish company to Chinese court to deal with patent infringement against a company in Burma.

Man companies are being sued left and right, and it seems like Apple is one of the companies that is being sued the most.

Hmmm... Apple gets sued for a patent infringement (again) and Steve hurries over and starts a thread to circle jerk apple butthurt...

Apple wins injuction last week banning the sale of Galaxy Nexus in the US due to patent infridgment on them... and it is no where to be found.

Nice un-biased reporting.... Let the butthurt flow through you...

Hmmm... Apple gets sued for a patent infringement (again) and Steve hurries over and starts a thread to circle jerk apple butthurt...

Apple wins injuction last week banning the sale of Galaxy Nexus in the US due to patent infridgment on them... and it is no where to be found.

That's totally not true. Steve just posts news articles from other sources that people pass along to him or that he discovers for himself. No one in this forum really hates Apple and threads about Apple generally only turn mean when people start down the attacking victim thing, where they take Apple's side and get super caustic about the other people who are joking around and just having a little fun. :(

You didn't look terribly hard! :p

:rolleyes:

I'm no Apple-lover myself but if I'm guaranteed anything from [H], it's some Apple-bashing on the daily in the News subforum.

That's really just good-natured teasing, I think. Yeah, there's probably a little genuine dislike, but the majority of the really angry stuff is from the Apple side in the form of reverse-discrimination. I think that's because a lot of people who buy Apple stuff are just the same kinda minds that would be violently defensive about anything else too and not because Apple injects angry brainwaves or something.

:rolleyes:

I'm no Apple-lover myself but if I'm guaranteed anything from [H], it's some Apple-bashing on the daily in the News subforum.

Gotta get my Apple bashing fix some how :p even though I own an Ipod touch, I'm not a fan of using my phone battery for music, and I love its features. Other than that, icky Apple lol.

Uhhh...how can they get sued for this? Siri, inc. created the app and Apple bought them out, so I don't see where the Patent infringement is.

Gotta get my Apple bashing fix some how :p even though I own an Ipod touch, I'm not a fan of using my phone battery for music, and I love its features. Other than that, icky Apple lol.

I seriously considered a 4th generation iPod when they came out, but iTunes...friends who have it on a PC have horror stories. HORROR STORIES!

Uhhh...how can they get sued for this? Siri, inc. created the app and Apple bought them out, so I don't see where the Patent infringement is.

Well if they bought Siri and are using the technology, then they become responsible for any infringement since the company that made it is now a part of the greater Apple collective. Who else is gonna pay for all the abuse and misuse if the company doing it can say, "Oh, we bought it from someone else so it's leagal for us to infringe now."

I seriously considered a 4th generation iPod when they came out, but iTunes...friends who have it on a PC have horror stories. HORROR STORIES!

I have a 4th gen ipod touch, I like it, never thought I'de have one, but I got it as a gift. Itunes on PC is pretty irritating sometimes to be honest. But I need to get music to it somehow, and it isn't the ipods fault.

I have a 4th gen ipod touch, I like it, never thought I'de have one, but I got it as a gift. Itunes on PC is pretty irritating sometimes to be honest. But I need to get music to it somehow, and it isn't the ipods fault.

I guess we can't blame the iPod, but we can blame the Siri since that's what this thread is all about. ^^

Regardless if you develop something entirely on your own without using existing technology, if you end up with something that is what someone else patented, you're infringing on their intellectual property (intentions to infringe don't matter). Apple owns and implements the tech associated with Siri that allegedly infringes on this other company's IP, so they are at fault. The IP train up until when Apple purchased the tech is immaterial. Plus, a ton of work that goes into an acquisition of a company is IP/patent/portfolio evaluation. I'd be willing to bet the lawyaz notified Apple of all sorts of possible infringements--generally a company will roll the dice as to whether someone else will actually pursue litigation against them, and often weigh the costs of settlement against the profits they can make from having the tech.

It's a mess...

Yup. It's the cesspool of piracy (the real deal - movies, music, software, not just downloads - physical media). Knock off central, too. Can't do shit, unless it started in China and someone else stole it.

Why does Apple keep stealing tech ideas from China and bringing them to the US without licensing the use of the stuff first? We know they have a lot of business contact in China to design their computers and manufacture their products, but they've been in the news for a lot of patent infringement lately. At the end of the article, it mentions they also stole the Snow Leopard name. :(

As far as I am concerned, we should be stealing a lot more from the Chinese. I mean, it isn't like they haven't been stealing from us for years.

That's really just good-natured teasing, I think. Yeah, there's probably a little genuine dislike, but the majority of the really angry stuff is from the Apple side in the form of reverse-discrimination. I think that's because a lot of people who buy Apple stuff are just the same kinda minds that would be violently defensive about anything else too and not because Apple injects angry brainwaves or something.

I wonder why they have to be defensive about something they chose to buy with their own money. I mean, there must have been a reason for the defensiveness to come out, right?

As far as I am concerned, we should be stealing a lot more from the Chinese. I mean, it isn't like they haven't been stealing from us for years.

From government and military perspectives. I totally agree with you on that. But innocent companies overseas getting ripped off by other companies just isn't right regardless of their national origin. If a Chinese company steals something and does business internationally, it should be in trouble just like Apple should be in trouble if they really did steal an idea from a Chinese company.

WHAT? :eek:

You are truly smoking something.

That's kinda what I mean. I don't go around accusing Apple people of smoking things when they post a string of angry profanity in a thread about someone else who's just joking around. It's stuff like that which can get people upset and goad them into responding in kind which is why I can't really fault the civil majority from getting upset when someone goes doing that.

From government and military perspectives. I totally agree with you on that. But innocent companies overseas getting ripped off by other companies just isn't right regardless of their national origin. If a Chinese company steals something and does business internationally, it should be in trouble just like Apple should be in trouble if they really did steal an idea from a Chinese company.

Nortel. Now bankrupt. You could even find commented out Nortel code in the Huawei switch SW because some of the dumb-ass execs ignored proper security.

That's kinda what I mean. I don't go around accusing Apple people of smoking things when they post a string of angry profanity in a thread about someone else who's just joking around. It's stuff like that which can get people upset and goad them into responding in kind which is why I can't really fault the civil majority from getting upset when someone goes doing that.

Fair enough, I should not have aimed that directly at you. But, there are some people on here that turn any article, not even one that has anything to do with apple, into an anti-apple tirade.

Nortel. Now bankrupt. You could even find commented out Nortel code in the Huawei switch SW because some of the dumb-ass execs ignored proper security.

I didn't know about that, but what did Nortel do to pursue legal methods of righting the wrong in nations where Huawei operated?

Fair enough, I should not have aimed that directly at you. But, there are some people on here that turn any article, not even one that has anything to do with apple, into an anti-apple tirade.

Oops, double negative for the win. Should have said, even on that has anything to do with apple... Is this 2012 and we still don't have an edit function on here?

If China wants to go after international companies for trumped up IP violations, they need to first go after Chinese companies that are blatantly stealing IP themselves. Until then they're just trying to use the law when it suits them and ignore it otherwise.

Oops, double negative for the win. Should have said, even on that has anything to do with apple... Is this 2012 and we still don't have an edit function on here?

I knew what you meant and it's okay! :) I guess I can understand the frustration, but pretty much everyone needs a scapegoat for stuff. Though I personally think we need to make more fun of Facebook around here and RIM is always good for a giggle or two.

Yup. It's the cesspool of piracy (the real deal - movies, music, software, not just downloads - physical media). Knock off central, too. Can't do shit, unless it started in China and someone else stole it.

LOL yeah. And if it's the Chinese company that gets sued by a foreign company? Nope, foreign company, you are wrong, because the Chinese company did not copy anything. Actually you copied from them!

The BMW X5 does not look perfectly identical to a Chinese company's new car, even though it actually is! It even has a different name, so there's no basis for the lawsuit!

Such a thread attracts a lot of people who like having their butthurt, and giving others butthurt.:eek:

Well count me in on enjoying the biased reporting. With apple loving to sue everyone for everything I must admit that part of me smiles inside when I hear of someone suing apple.

Ok, lets go there: The suit is Apple suing Samsung for 'likely' use of, ironically, siri technology.

The order is not being enforced until Apple pays Samsung a 96 million bond, in case Apple loses...to cover Samsungs loss of profit in the meantime.

My prediction, Apple will drop this suit against Samsung.

Back